08/15 - We'll miss ya Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Names are such funny creatures, I think because of the sense of ownership we associate with them. Naming my kids was an art form, and they all have two middle names, poor kids. I read her name the same as you pronounce it. My mother, bless her heart, had no idea when she named me that it would be an issue. My niece is Siobhan, no one gets that name right which is precisely why I did not use it.
I feel bad for not knowing how to pronounce that :grimace:
My absolute favorite wrong name memory was at my middle school. I'd just moved there and I was in computer class, the lady for some reason pronounced Jade as 'ha day.' I have no idea why.

(Second favorite is when I got one of those grain of rice beads and the lady wrote "amberjack")

sorry if this posts twice, I can't remember if I hit post.
both of those are hilarious :ROFL:
When I was a substitute there was a student named Female but pronounced like Tamale Fe- male...anyhow, I didn't want to know.

What makes you think we are bored? lol
I always thought that was an urban legend :o

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
My birth name is Megan. Not Maygen, Meegan, Mag-han, Meggan, or any variation, just Meg-an. Like Meg'n. Drives me up a wall.

My husband has a very unique name that I won't share b/c it feels weird to, but he typically gets "no but what is your first name" when introducing himself. B/c it sounds like a last name.

Now I go by Despairagus in real life b/c it's hilarious. (that's not true but I might do so b/c why not)

Oh, oh, also a good friend named her kids Oisin and Caoimhe, hahaha! Can't wait for them to complain about pronouncing those honkers!

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
The only weird thing I get when talking on the phone with me, they will spell my name Lorren or Loren and I'm Lauren.

I'm not sure if I slur it weird or what. I don't harshly pronounce it, but idk. But every single time on phone orders i'm Loren/Lorren.

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
My birth name is Megan. Not Maygen, Meegan, Mag-han, Meggan, or any variation, just Meg-an. Like Meg'n. Drives me up a wall.

My husband has a very unique name that I won't share b/c it feels weird to, but he typically gets "no but what is your first name" when introducing himself. B/c it sounds like a last name.

Now I go by Despairagus in real life b/c it's hilarious. (that's not true but I might do so b/c why not)

Oh, oh, also a good friend named her kids Oisin and Caoimhe, hahaha! Can't wait for them to complain about pronouncing those honkers!
That is funny. We had a guy named Jones in class, his first name and everyone always asked him the same thing when they met him I wonder if Jameson gets that as well...hmmmmm

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
The only weird thing I get when talking on the phone with me, they will spell my name Lorren or Loren and I'm Lauren.

I'm not sure if I slur it weird or what. I don't harshly pronounce it, but idk. But every single time on phone orders i'm Loren/Lorren.
Who doesn't know how to spell Lauren??? Have you ever been called "laur-en"? b/c people pronounced Ralph Lauren that way and it drives me right up a wall.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score

So, your name isn't Savvy LaBell?

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

I'm Angela... and the only times it gets mispronounced is when kids say Ang-lee-a which is super cute and totally acceptable. But I would have assumed Megan was an easy one :facepalm:

Rogue and Ready

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Please take this 10 minute survey for $1 and up to a $0.50 bonus(~ 10 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Berkeley Dietvorst [A3EKLYB6P787W8] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$12.39] [Pay=3.88] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.94] [Fast=4.86] [Comm=4.00] [Fair=4.76] [Reviews=38] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=6.10] [Pen=0.06 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 2700
Available: 1
Description: Make predictions
Qualifications: Exc: [-1277402515-102312] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; SurveyGroup [1307] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
.[/td][/tr]

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
Who doesn't know how to spell Lauren??? Have you ever been called "laur-en"? b/c people pronounced Ralph Lauren that way and it drives me right up a wall.
dude, idk. It happens more often than you would think, lol.

also, no i don't think i've gotten lau-ren

Last edited:

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'm Angela... and the only times it gets mispronounced is when kids say Ang-lee-a which is super cute and totally acceptable. But I would have assumed Megan was an easy one :facepalm:
You would think so, but the year I was born was apparently the dawn of the Megan Empire and everyone decided to spell/pronounce it slightly different. The cards were stacked against us from the start.

katarina

Needs more coffee
Contributor
Reaction score
My boyfriends name causes him issues. "Can I get your name please?" "John Jones." "Can I get your real name?" Sometimes people get pissed thinking he's giving a fake name lol. You'd be surprised how often a John Jones dies, has a warrant out, etc etc. At least it's not John Smith.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Nothing is right:
Projected Earnings Today 0 $0.00
Projected Earnings This Week 98 $64.04
Projected Earnings This Month 362 $360.09

Pending Earnings 41 $30.42
Approved Waiting Payment 12 $14.50
Where and how do you see this information? I've been looking around but cannot find it :)

Reactions: stuffalleysays

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Also just so you can all feel cool if the names (which I think are actually lovely) ever pop up, Oisin is pronounced Oh-Sheen and Caoimhe is Kwee-vah or Keevah.

Status
Not open for further replies.