11/07 - Work it Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love education but I feel the 21st century model is going to eventually eliminate the concept of a building we go to school in. It will be online education from a mix of computer based and human based learning, small education groups, etc. to get kids to pass a standardized benchmark set at the state level. It will both empower parents in their child's education and simultaneously hold them responsible. Not trying to sound preachy, just saying that the current model is outdated and needs to be reconsidered from the basics to catch up to the rest of the world.
While I can agree with a ton of what you are saying, there are a lot of kids, I have one of them, that without going to a building she'd literally just sleep all day and refuse to do anything, not sure what we'd do with them.

Reactions: sofaslug

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
On a more positive note I dare someone to find me a better throw than this...

Is there a thread on here where people talk about books? Or, is anyone reading anything interesting?
currently re-reading the Outlander series, on book 2 right now :)

chickenboneneck

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from ofir yakobi for work related to 3DQYSJDTYLBWDJ7RE08BZZEPHH9EXQ.
The value of your bonus is: $1.24 USD

The Requester included this note:
Thank you

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

You've received a bonus from RogersLab (Bangor University) for work related to 3A9LA2FRWTEEFMELCD500LGWF3HXH3.
The value of your bonus is: $0.32 USD

For collecting points. Thanks for playing!

You've received a bonus from Survey Research for work related to 3VEI3XUCZRX2COIFUW5854WZ4L6PR0.
The value of your bonus is: $1.50 USD

No comment provided by Requester.

That takes the sing off. A tiny bit.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I love education but I feel the 21st century model is going to eventually eliminate the concept of a building we go to school in. It will be online education from a mix of computer based and human based learning, small education groups, etc. to get kids to pass a standardized benchmark set at the state level. It will both empower parents in their child's education and simultaneously hold them responsible. Not trying to sound preachy, just saying that the current model is outdated and needs to be reconsidered from the basics to catch up to the rest of the world.
I homeschooled my kids for a couple of years because the schools where I live are awful. The teachers here basically just teach them how to take tests. My son's science teacher's main goal was to have them memorize the Periodic Table (which teaches them nothing about how they work) and she really didn't know very much about chemistry.
I ended up sending them back because they missed their friends and now I can't get them to go back to homeschool to save my life......

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey this wasn't suppose to be joke time!

It was suppose to be Patrick Mahomes is a badass time.

chickenboneneck

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey this wasn't suppose to be joke time!

It was suppose to be Patrick Mahomes is a badass time.
Patrick Mahomes, who I smartly drafted to my fantasy team... In the first year where we went from playing for money to "just for fun" and where I am undefeated. :-|

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I homeschooled my kids for a couple of years because the schools where I live are awful. The teachers here basically just teach them how to take tests. My son's science teacher's main goal was to have them memorize the Periodic Table (which teaches them nothing about how they work) and she really didn't know very much about chemistry.
I ended up sending them back because they missed their friends and now I can't get them to go back to homeschool to save my life......
Our youngest "wants" to be homeschooled...meanwhile she's a big part of the drama and seems to love that...she's very lazy has to be told to do things like 20 times...I'm convinced she wants to be homeschooled cause she thinks it means doing nothing. Like I once said "you hate to read what do you think homeschool is?" She had no answer...

I think home school and what sofa was talking about is absolutely great for kids that are self starters. I meanwhile have a kid who doesn't care if she passes or fails anything or what the consequences are, not sure how to deal with that.

Reactions: LucyO

Kamalani

Reaction score
Our youngest just doesn't care, she has never tried in school cause she always just passes through...she's a freshman in high school this year...semester is about over and she is failing every class but 3...with a D in PE....

I'm just like you'll pay for this when you are a 7th year senior and she just shrugs like she's going to pass through like always.
Does she have any ambitions for adulthood? It's just a different generation. Some of them just don't seem to care. My daughter has friends like that. Or the whole, I'll be a YouTube star thing

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes, who I smartly drafted to my fantasy team... In the first year where we went from playing for money to "just for fun" and where I am undefeated. :-|
Damn...that is not good man, you'd be bringing in the coin.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
alright, taking a break to savor my $3 in PE. Time to clean the house and see if a homemade pizza sub accidentally throws itself into the oven and needs eaten while I'm working in the kitchen.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Currently reading:

Contact
Children of Time
Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits
The Baghavad Gita
I have the "Baghavad Gita As it Is", and it is near the top of my list. Right now I'm on a Dickens kick and am trying to get through his works. I am also reading "Gun's, Germs, and Steel", "The Journals of A.H. Maslow", and "The Eye of the World".

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does she have any ambitions for adulthood? It's just a different generation. Some of them just don't seem to care. My daughter has friends like that. Or the whole, I'll be a YouTube star thing
She said she wants to be a photographer and I was trying to explain to her that in this day and age you can work for yourself doing that but that requires being a self starter and having business knowledge that she isn't going to get laying in bed video chatting or watching cat videos.

chickenboneneck

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn...that is not good man, you'd be bringing in the coin.
I drafted really well and made some smart free agent picks. Figures that I get a trophy with a smartass phrase in the year I could've won big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.