Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
don't see many 19 minute timers

Title: A short survey about a product! | PANDA
Requester: Sann Ryu [A1DKZP88GKMR8E] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 2.88] [Fair: 4.33] [Comm: 0.00] [Fast: 4.80]
Description:
You will be asked to view an image of a product and answer some following questions. This will take approximately 10-15 minutes.
Time: 19 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.30
Qualifications: Location is US;

edit -- just read the description. do this if you hate yourself

Reactions: SweetiePuff

turkenator

━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)
Contributor
Reaction score
I worked at an egg farm for a bit. They had 4 insanely large barns full of chickens. They supplied all the eggs for for all the companies, more or less. All the way from store brand ones, to ones with spanish on the package which were made to seem like they were imported from puerto rico, to those fancy-dancy free range organic in plastic packages ones that look just like that.

As far as I could tell there was no difference between the eggs. They all came out of those giant disgusting chicken coops on conveyor belts, through a washing machine, and then into a machine that dropped them into boxes and sometimes that machine stamped them with EB or other logos. The only difference seemed to be the box and whether there was a stamp or not.

Now, I don't actually know what went on inside those huge barns, but the smell was horrendous. And there most definitely weren't any chickens running around outside "free range" or anything like that. At best they might have been in a bigger cage, and maybe fed a different feed mix.

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
Where are you? I bought eggs last week - 2 doz for 89 cents. Really. They've come down in price around here.
I bought eggs at Trader Joe's yesterday for .95. :)

Reactions: cassius

spchles1

Reaction score
So many more people will be working on Zs with the time change now

Reactions: GoldenTemple

ctraltDel

Contributor
Reaction score
don't see many 19 minute timers

Title: A short survey about a product! | PANDA
Requester: Sann Ryu [A1DKZP88GKMR8E] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 2.88] [Fair: 4.33] [Comm: 0.00] [Fast: 4.80]
Description:
You will be asked to view an image of a product and answer some following questions. This will take approximately 10-15 minutes.
Time: 19 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.30
Qualifications: Location is US;

edit -- just read the description. do this if you hate yourself
This actually doesn't take THAT long, def <10 minutes, but I didn't look at the timer and timed out.

Reactions: Peachy

jan

Reaction score
I worked at an egg farm for a bit. They had 4 insanely large barns full of chickens. They supplied all the eggs for for all the companies, more or less. All the way from store brand ones, to ones with spanish on the package which were made to seem like they were imported from puerto rico, to those fancy-dancy free range organic in plastic packages ones that look just like that.

As far as I could tell there was no difference between the eggs. They all came out of those giant disgusting chicken coops on conveyor belts, through a washing machine, and then into a machine that dropped them into boxes and sometimes that machine stamped them with EB or other logos. The only difference seemed to be the box and whether there was a stamp or not.

Now, I don't actually know what went on inside those huge barns, but the smell was horrendous. And there most definitely weren't any chickens running around outside "free range" or anything like that. At best they might have been in a bigger cage, and maybe fed a different feed mix.
this is what I've read as well (free range can mean a few feet of walking room every once in awhile, otherwise - it's back to solitary..................

Kuddish

Me fail English! That's unpossible
Contributor
Reaction score
Good way to start my morning

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Alexander Gould for work related to 34KYK9TV2R81VQ9B83RLD0WDODZBSA.
The value of your bonus is: $2.00 USD

The Requester included this note:
Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

Sincerely,
Amazon Mechanical Turk
https://www.mturk.com

cassius

Reaction score
Thats so awesome! - Yeah he told us some of the same things. We are planning on only have 3-4 chickens and maybe grow with other animals after that. I can't wait to be able to have my own garden, fruit tress...ect... This spring we are going to plant some fruit trees so by the time we move (2-3 years ) they will be close to fruiting.
I won't discourage you. that would be stupid but i will warn you. Farming is all it's hyped up to be. Weather plays a big part and you don't always get what you want to kind of quote the Stones. it's a hard life and gardening is hell with all that weeding. But mom canned so the garden was huge. I remember crying because we worked so hard to make things work, that the year the flood came, it took out our garden and i just cried. all that hard work. But animals will love you back if you give them good care, in their own animal way. Chickens you have to be especially careful with. they have many predators and foxes and raccoons really will find their way into the coop. We had a funny cute thing happen one year. I had these beautiful golden chickens that i bought as a pair at the Cleveland West side market. They grew up and mated and Mrs. laid her eggs and we didn't disturb her. we let her set. Mom wasn't selling eggs them. One day the eggs hatched and chickens are very protective of their young. The rooster came and got me and wanted me to follow him. He took me to mom who was scurrying her chicks under her to protect them and literally giving him hell. But he was this beautiful golden bird just proud of what they'd done. Big proud papa. And he wanted to show off his family.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Evenin.... Uh oh, you had your first date with Pleco @Pleco didn't you? :D
If this Zolties batch keeps coming in steady, I'm gonna take lil queen trashmouth @lil queen trashmouth to a Sizzler's so that she learn about the greatest thing about this country. Cheap, extremely mediocre food that's been warmed up all day under a heat lamp.

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
If this Zolties batch keeps coming in steady, I'm gonna take lil queen trashmouth @lil queen trashmouth to a Sizzler's so that she learn about the greatest thing about this country. Cheap, extremely mediocre food that's been warmed up all day under a heat lamp.
Oh, you romantic, you :wink:

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Mom raised chickens and sold eggs when I was a kid. It was my job weekends and summers to take are of the chickens. Horrible living conditions and we didn't keep them in cages. In summer mom would open the coops' doors and let the critters roam. They would go back in the coop to lay eggs. These were the best. the chickens got pretty and healthy and the nest stayed clean. I won't tell what you can find in a chicken's nest besides chicken sh**. Chickens can be nastier than hogs and they are cannibals. Not only are they cannibals. They eat each other a live which is probably why modern farmers put them in separate cages. On another note I once had an easter duck who liked to live with our rabbit. A lone duck latches onto whatever friend will have it as it thinks it has no other pals. the man who bought mom's eggs for the stores had someone on his route who wanted duck eggs for baking. Mom didn't like duck eggs, said they were too strong. So I got to sell my duck eggs to our egg guy. I made a little bit of spare change with that.
as someone that played the video game, Harvest Moon, several versions might I add...
I've never had a problem with keeping my chickens together.

Reaction score
Ah Daylight Savings Time: a moderately reasonable solution for rotating one additional hour of usable AM (Fall/Winter) or PM (Spring/Summer) daylight business hours to better facilitate business and commerce which is moderately well supported by 47 of 50 states in America.

(in 3/50):
West Virginia: considered to be witchcraft
Texas: a tool of the devil
Florida: an evil government hoax perpetuated by alien conspiracy theorists and Bigfoot spotters.

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
i always had a soft spot for olive garden unlimited soup salad breadsticks.

lil queen trashmouth

Pile of ham
Contributor
Reaction score

cassius

Reaction score
Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. I think once you become use to a certain way of life, then once it gets disrupted, the grief is normal. We usually go to the farm and pick out our cow for slaughter ( the kids have always gone with us and helped) - some people think we're horrible parents for this...like how dare we let our kids pick the cow ( 1/2 of cow) that we are going to slaughter and eat. Its like...umm do you know how people lived not even 60-70+ years ago. Or hell how some of us live outside the "city"
If you eat meat it is a natural process. the animal has to be killed. meat is a stable in human diets and i don't put down vegetarians. they had a right to choice. I grew up in that life and never got used to it but the meat was great. never butcher a female cow if you can avoid it. Go for the steers. The meat is leaner. Mom learned that lesson one year when dad sent a female for butchering. I don't eat as much meat as I used too. But that need for that protein is in my system so I need it sometimes. Also drank raw milk and it never killed me but then I washed the milking equipment and knew how much went into cleanliness and that the milk was checked for bacteria levels. If that got high you got kicked off the milk route until you solved the problem. That happened to dad once. He cleaned up his act fast, nothing like dumping all your milk down the drain instead of into the tank.

lsutiger25

Contributor
Reaction score
http://peteandgerrys.com/certified-humane/free-range/
I won't discourage you. that would be stupid but i will warn you. Farming is all it's hyped up to be. Weather plays a big part and you don't always get what you want to kind of quote the Stones. it's a hard life and gardening is hell with all that weeding. But mom canned so the garden was huge. I remember crying because we worked so hard to make things work, that the year the flood came, it took out our garden and i just cried. all that hard work. But animals will love you back if you give them good care, in their own animal way. Chickens you have to be especially careful with. they have many predators and foxes and raccoons really will find their way into the coop. We had a funny cute thing happen one year. I had these beautiful golden chickens that i bought as a pair at the Cleveland West side market. They grew up and mated and Mrs. laid her eggs and we didn't disturb her. we let her set. Mom wasn't selling eggs them. One day the eggs hatched and chickens are very protective of their young. The rooster came and got me and wanted me to follow him. He took me to mom who was scurrying her chicks under her to protect them and literally giving him hell. But he was this beautiful golden bird just proud of what they'd done. Big proud papa. And he wanted to show off his family.
Awww- that is a great story. Animals really are amazing ( all shapes and sizes of them) - We have a few raised beds now that we grow basic things that we eat. I was planning on starting to can this year ( or learn how to, )( my mother in law has done it for years) - but the flood has changed everything. So I will try after the spring "harvest". - The only thing is we like most cold weather veggies and not much that will grow in southern louisiana haha

cassius

Reaction score
I bought eggs at Trader Joe's yesterday for .95. :)
They've been a good price at TJs lately. I used to think it a bargain to get them for 1.65/doz

Reactions: jan
Status
Not open for further replies.