06/15 - Sugar Lumps Saturday

Would you eat a bowl of dog food for $10,000?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloHello

Reaction score
Now I am really afraid to leave the computer today for a haircut. I just got an email for a $75 User Interview Study for next week that I had to accept right away . . . :shrug:

Reactions: SherryNotShirley

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
So I heard that a lot of the good batches get rated wrongfully badly in TO and TV in order to protect them from other Turkers doing them. Big thanks to all those workers who have done that. I have a screen full of red batches and don't even know where to start now. Obviously most of those red ones ones siting stagnant today are probably crap, but those snakey, scheming methods aren't very nice. tisk.

I can understand not wanting others to share in the money you want to make, but when you are going lengths such as those mentioned above, that is just really deceptive.

Whats the point of having these rating systems for workers when you can't even fully trust them? So much for the "community"
This doesn't really happen that often.

You've been bamboozled.

All those red batches are probably legitimately garbage.

And TV reviews are not very reliable for batches in any case so you're always better off opening them up and spending 15 seconds scanning the instructions.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Title: **Only for Owners of amazon RING doorbell** Survey on Improvement Needs (6 Mins) | PANDA
Requester: Dorian Proksch [A1OVILQB4QER2T] (Req TV): $-/hr
(TO): [Pay: N/A] [Fair: N/A] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: N/A]
Description:
Survey on Improvement Needs for amazon RING doorbell. Important: we check if you actually own an amazon RING doorbell
Time: 30 minutes(s)
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.60
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US;

I Ching

Reaction score
This doesn't really happen that often.

You've been bamboozled.

All those red batches are probably legitimately garbage.

And TV reviews are not very reliable for batches in any case so you're always better off opening them up and spending 15 seconds scanning the instructions.
Bamboozled exactly. There is a lot of bamboozling going on and it really only makes sense. Typically when there is money to be made, no matter the industry, there is always bamboozling going on all for the love of that green piece of paper. I think it happens a lot more than you think or are willing to admit. I myself have seen it several times just from personal experience.

Last edited:
  • Sad

charlie

Reaction score
glad i managed to do well yesterday. out waaay too late last night and just now getting started. looks like a bunch of low pay but quick surveys. yay me.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
So I heard that a lot of the good batches get purposely low rated in TO and TV (even though they are the great batches) in order to protect them from other Turkers doing them. Big thanks to all those workers who have done that. I have a screen full of red batches and don't even know where to start now. Obviously most of those red ones siting stagnant today are probably crap, but those snakey, scheming methods aren't very nice. tisk.

I can understand not wanting others to share in the money you want to make, but when you are going lengths such as those mentioned above, that is just really deceptive.

Whats the point of having these rating systems for workers when you can't even fully trust them? So much for the "community"

Honestly, not even sure why I am even subscribed to TV if I cant even trust it fully because of being mislead.

Really, TV needs its own set of moderators. Look and see what good batches or hits that are being rated crappy, see what users are rating these batches. You should then be able to see those user's past ratings and if there is a definite pattern of them using these tactics, those users should get the hammer of Thor.
People being selfish and misleading isn't exclusive to turking.

The good thing about batches is that it usually doesn't take long to figure out if they're worth doing.

I Ching

Reaction score
I would love to see some examples.
Well, one off the top of my head is the McDermott experiment. Now, that is a bad example because it is a .25 hit that takes roughly a half hour. So there is a good chance that was partially rated badly because of those workers who have not even attempted it and see that it is paying only 25 cents, yet takes about a half hour to finish. Even though it pays its lump some in bonus.

Unfortunately I haven't written down every instance of this I have seen. But I can tell you I'm not lying and have in fact ran across this on several occasions doing hits myself.

I Ching

Reaction score
People being selfish and misleading isn't exclusive to turking.

The good thing about batches is that it usually doesn't take long to figure out if they're worth doing.
I understand that, which is why what I'm saying shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. There is always going to be corruption around sources of making money.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, one off the top of my head is the McDermott experiment. Now, that is a bad example because it is a .25 hit that takes roughly a half hour. So there is a good chance that was partially rated badly because of those workers who have not even attempted it and see that it is paying only 25 cents, yet takes about a half hour to finish. Even though it pays its lump some in bonus.

Unfortunately I haven't written down every instance of this I have seen. But I can tell you I'm not lying and have in fact ran across this on several occasions doing hits myself.
How is that an example of someone giving a low review to throw others off of a good batch?

And that HIT actually has decent reviews: https://turkerview.com/requesters/A19YWY6E1CP566-mcdermott-experiments

HITs like that do get low pay ratings though, not because of any malicious intent, but because TV automatically grabs the time it takes you to complete a HIT and uses that to calculate the pay rate when you leave reviews. It does not take bonuses into account because it does not have access to that information.

AlexDroog

Singing in the rain...
Reaction score
I got wicked burnt out on MTurk so I took about 6 weeks off. But I've been back for about 2 weeks and I thought I'd check in. Something I noticed since I've been back is that there are some new requesters that have zero scruples and care not about either ripping people off entirely or vastly underpaying. I came up with an idea but I would need help from the community. How does everyone feel about this.....Worst Requester of the Year Award. Or we could do it monthly. Post the award up on Reddit or something. It's just an idea in its infancy but I think it's a good idea. A way to fight back against requesters who have no respect for us or the effort we put forth to make the chump change that we spend SO MUCH time earning. I think it's worth exploring. Anyone?

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score

The best thing to do with unfamiliar batches is to read the reviews and try out a few of the batch if they aren't reporting rejections. By doing at least a handful, you can gauge your hourly and see if this is a HIT you can make a decently hourly on.

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
How is that an example of someone giving a low review to throw others off of a good batch?

And that HIT actually has decent reviews: https://turkerview.com/requesters/A19YWY6E1CP566-mcdermott-experiments

HITs like that do get low pay ratings though, not because of any malicious intent, but because TV automatically grabs the time it takes you to complete a HIT and uses that to calculate the pay rate when you leave reviews. It does not take bonuses into account because it does not have access to that information.
You can add the bonus into TV manually when leaving the review and then it does calculate that into the hourly. It's also a good way to keep track of your bonuses (or cry when you see how many actually don't pay out).

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
You can add the bonus into TV manually when leaving the review and then it does calculate that into the hourly. It's also a good way to keep track of your bonuses (or cry when you see how many actually don't pay out).
People are lazy and don't do that though. :blep:

I'm okay with lower than average reviews (like because of not including a bonus.) It's the people that leave way faster than average reviews that make me :angry2:

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I got wicked burnt out on MTurk so I took about 6 weeks off. But I've been back for about 2 weeks and I thought I'd check in. Something I noticed since I've been back is that there are some new requesters that have zero scruples and care not about either ripping people off entirely or vastly underpaying. I came up with an idea but I would need help from the community. How does everyone feel about this.....Worst Requester of the Year Award. Or we could do it monthly. Post the award up on Reddit or something. It's just an idea in its infancy but I think it's a good idea. A way to fight back against requesters who have no respect for us or the effort we put forth to make the chump change that we spend SO MUCH time earning. I think it's worth exploring. Anyone?
Welcome back! Leaving reviews on TO and TV are probably the best route to take to alert people of poor requesters. New and familiar requesters often come to these forums so we wouldn't want to promote a negative atmosphere for them. I certainly understand the frustration though!

I Ching

Reaction score

Well the method obviously doesn't just get used for batches, but also surveys. It maybe a good rated hit now, but I have seen McDermott rated RED on my HF. And it was all day yesterday for me. The only reason I did it was because I saw people in the forums here posting their bonus amounts which were typically $10+ range. I would have never done it otherwise because as I said, it was RED. It claimed "up to so much in bonus" but was still rated RED. I assumed it was a requester who didn't pay well even in the bonus. I did the hit and it took me 30 minute or less and I made $13 + on it. I then thought "This must be another one of those wrongfully rated hits"

"TV automatically grabs the time it takes you to complete a HIT and uses that to calculate the pay rate when you leave reviews." This is interesting and I didn't know about this. So when I accept a hit, and leave it sit on my list, a clock starts ticking away right then?

Last edited:

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Well the method obviously doesn't just get used for batches, but also surveys. It maybe a good rated hit now, but I have seen McDermott rated RED on my HF. And it was all day yesterday for me. The only reason I did it was because I saw people in the forums here posting their bonus amounts which were typically $10+ range. I would have never done it otherwise because as I said, it was RED. It claimed "up to so much in bonus" but was still rated RED. I assumed it was a requester who didn't pay well even in the bonus. I did the hit and it took me 30 minute or less and I made $13 + on it. I then thought "This must be another one of those wrongfully rated hits"

"TV automatically grabs the time it takes you to complete a HIT and uses that to calculate the pay rate when you leave reviews." This is interesting and I didn't know about this. So when I accept a hit, and leave it sit on my list, a clock starts ticking away right then?
The timer starts for the TV hourly when you have the HIT open. There is an option in the upper right hand corner to pause the hourly if you like to keep track.

Reactions: I Ching

I Ching

Reaction score
The best thing to do with unfamiliar batches is to read the reviews and try out a few of the batch if they aren't reporting rejections. By doing at least a handful, you can gauge your hourly and see if this is a HIT you can make a decently hourly on.
I know man, but that just makes so much more work for a Turker. But I guess that Is the only option I am limited to unfortunately as a worker to watch out for my butt.

Reactions: scrmcasey

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
It starts counting when you open the HIT/have it active. So not if it's sitting in your queue. If you have the turkerview script installed it's the thing that looks like this:

at the top of the HIT page.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
I thought there was a way to pause the timer in TV. I know you can change the time after the fact in your review.

Status
Not open for further replies.