06/15 - Sugar Lumps Saturday

Would you eat a bowl of dog food for $10,000?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Title: Survey about your thoughts, attitudes, and emotions(~ 4 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Affective Science & Health Laboratory [A37YTRXG1FWGX7] (Req TV): $10.91/hr/hr
(TO): [Pay: N/A] [Fair: N/A] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: N/A]
Description:
This study involves answering questions about your feelings and how you manage them.
Time: 1 hour(s)
HITs Available: 38
Reward: $0.75
Qualifications: Exc: [4907171-153197] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US;

Concise

Buddhist Bacchante
Reaction score
Title: $0.5 Reward + Minimum Bonus of $2 for Completion of 15min Survey | PANDA
Requester: Thomas Wilhelm [A67T3FLSRE1ES] (Req TV): $17.92/hr/hr
Description:
$0.5 Reward + Minimum Bonus of $2 for Completion of 15min Survey
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.50
Qualifications: Prevent retake DoesNotExist ; Location EqualTo US;
Just caught this one - TO mentions a failure of the HIT, and a requester not being responsive to email, fyi

Reactions: jan and mboone73

lil queen trashmouth

Pile of ham
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Investment and Disclosure Study(~ 7 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Patrick Witz [A22VDPOTYXHM4J] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$18.77] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 30:00
Available: 3
Description: A short academic study of disclosures and behavior
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Exc: [1775598545-152454] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US

2.5 mins

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Title: Brief Screening Survey(~ 1 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Asaf [AIA5EBY5E7FPK] (Req TV): $33.71/hr/hr
Description:
This is a screening survey for a larger study. You will be paid for this screening regardless of whether you qualify or not. Eligible participants will receive a link to the main study HIT.
Time: 30 minutes(s)
HITs Available: 30
Reward: $0.10
Qualifications: Exc: [152010075-153196] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;

Reactions: DatJersey and MarkC

Srndpty

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, one off the top of my head is the McDermott experiment. Now, that is a bad example because it is a .25 hit that takes roughly a half hour. So there is a good chance that was partially rated badly because of those workers who have not even attempted it and see that it is paying only 25 cents, yet takes about a half hour to finish. Even though it pays its lump some in bonus.

Unfortunately I haven't written down every instance of this I have seen. But I can tell you I'm not lying and have in fact ran across this on several occasions doing hits myself.
IF I left a review on this HIT it would be a bad one. The reason being my ears feel like they're ready to bleed 20 seconds in. I know it pays a good bonus, I've read the boards, still not worth it for me.

You have to look at the HITs and determine what works for you. I don't pay attention to TO or TV. I like things others don't and vice versa. Mturk is what you make of it. Explore the HITs and see if it's something YOU are good/want to do. Don't rely on TO and TV.

ChrisTurk

Reaction score
I would love to see some examples.
Well, one off the top of my head is the McDermott experiment. Now, that is a bad example because it is a .25 hit that takes roughly a half hour. So there is a good chance that was partially rated badly because of those workers who have not even attempted it and see that it is paying only 25 cents, yet takes about a half hour to finish. Even though it pays its lump some in bonus.

Unfortunately I haven't written down every instance of this I have seen. But I can tell you I'm not lying and have in fact ran across this on several occasions doing hits myself.
Are you talking about the return warnings? Users cannot review HITs on TV without submitting them, and generally McDermott's avgs are pretty close w/ the bonuses since most users are good about inputting them. Return reviews are incredibly heavily skewed towards newbies who straight up don't know better, with the exception being writing return warnings which are 2x as likely to be from experienced workers who don't find value in a lot of writing prompt type HITs/surveys. That's why TVJS has so many options to filter/turn off certain return warnings because depending on where you are in your Turk journey some will be more/less useful to any individual.

As far as batches though anytime you see this feel free to throw me a DM and I'll investigate (or simply report it on TV). We get thousands of data points every day, and we have some systems that monitor known problems so I can get involved but it isn't all inclusive and there are always new things coming up that I haven't even thought of as being a problem lol.

I'll always do my best to fix the issue, but FWIW I can't follow MTC anymore since the forum switch so please DM me so it triggers an email alert (or just reach out over email, I monitor hello@turkerview.com all day).

Oh ok. Well then. I don't know. Maybe there is part screwery and partly because of people not starting hits right away? My gut tells me lots of screwery though. :p I just have major trust issues I guess. Can you blame me? :wink:
The actual truth is most people just aren't good at online work. People turking from 15 year old laptops on McDonalds wifi, users who are dealing with a fussy baby while filling out a survey, folks who type 40wpm trying to do transcription, really the instances are endless and most (at least when it comes to my investigations on TV) aren't malicious, they're just oddities of situations. The one and only metric that anyone should care about on batches is # of rejections. Surveys, generally, are pretty standardized and as long as you know where you fall in TV's completion time groups you'll find the breakdowns/%s are generally pretty close. Biggest exception being surveys that have multiple completion paths [ie you get writing, someone else doesn't, etc]

I remove at least 1 reviewer/week from the aggregate scores of requesters for things like that to help alleviate the issues with dragging down hourlies when they shouldn't be because they're unrealistically slow. It's rarer for the opposite end, although we do occasionally receive complaints about some users lol.

Forreal though, the vast majority of folks are good natured & just trying to help as they're able. MTurk draws such a gigantic demographic pool and there is so much turnover there is probably always going to be some friction between various groups/types of workers. Same goes for most requesters.. The better razor & all that.

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Brief Screening Survey(~ 1 minutes)Accept
Requester: Asaf [AIA5EBY5E7FPK] Contact
TV: $34.84/hr TO: n/a TO2: n/a
Reward: $0.10
Duration: 30 minutes
Available: 8
Description: This is a screening survey for a larger study. You will be paid for this screening regardless of whether you qualify or not. Eligible participants will receive a link to the main study HIT.
Qualifications: Exc: [152010075-153196] DoesNotExist ; Location In US

GTR

Reaction score
i'd settle for some CPC

charlie

Reaction score
I've gotten 2.00 worth of Pins. That'll be money in the bank. Today's a win!.... and so on and so forth.....and I returned an equal number 'cause Pinterest can't post HITs that are really there.
pins are back? they were gone for quite some time. good to know!

Reactions: alk69

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

charlie

Reaction score
Title: Survey about your thoughts, attitudes, and emotions(~ 4 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Affective Science & Health Laboratory [A37YTRXG1FWGX7] (Req TV): $10.91/hr/hr
Description:
This study involves answering questions about your feelings and how you manage them.
HITs Available: 38
Reward: $0.75
Qualifications: Exc: [4907171-153197] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US;
i didn't qualify. story of my life it is.

• Sad
Reactions: theturkscribe

teesa25

Reaction score
what do you put when it says are you sure you want to export to mturk crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.