05/24 - Three-Toed Sloth Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I spent the first many of my working years struggling through 8-5/office job hours. I am not built for them. That schedule made me borderline suicidal. Turking, of all things, showed me that yes I actually enjoy working incredibly hard and working long hours, as long as I have some say in when that happens. Thankfully it seems many industries have caught up with the notion that giving workers some agency over their time makes them happier and still productive. Our labor laws will probably never catch up, however.
Turk allows me to be a stay at home mom. Trying to work and parent was not working well for me at all. I was angry and bitter, pushing others away and it was really turning into a downward spiral. Quitting and doing this full time was the best thing I ever did for my self-confidence and happiness (which translates into better parenting.) Today's PE of <$8 is accompanied by summer reading program sign ups and that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
I spent the first many of my working years struggling through 8-5/office job hours. I am not built for them. That schedule made me borderline suicidal. Turking, of all things, showed me that yes I actually enjoy working incredibly hard and working long hours, as long as I have some say in when that happens. Thankfully it seems many industries have caught up with the notion that giving workers some agency over their time makes them happier and still productive. Our labor laws will probably never catch up, however.
ive worked two office jobs before mturk full time (i discovered mturk the tail end of my last office job). the 8-5 schedule does and can wear on you after awhile. it’s hard to describe. just makes you feel constricted

the thing is - if i wasnt doing mturk anymore - i would probably be back looking for an office type gig again. i think starting a business of some sorts would be the best end goal in the future :, a sucessful business...

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
My field is medical social work. My specialties are hospice and traumatic brain injury. But in the hospital you are called to the ER for a host of issues. Rapes, child abuse, drug/alcohol etc... I would be on call 24/7, and that was just my first job...then you also have to go to court when summoned and house visits so people can get the supports they need. Man do I have stories.

SleepComa

Drifting through the stars...
Reaction score
ive worked two office jobs before mturk full time (i discovered mturk the tail end of my last office job). the 8-5 schedule does and can wear on you after awhile. it’s hard to describe. just makes you feel constricted

the thing is - if i wasnt doing mturk anymore - i would probably be back looking for an office type gig again. i think starting a business of some sorts would be the best end goal in the future :, a sucessful business...
Start a business that has something to do with sports, that will always sell like crazy.

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Turk allows me to be a stay at home mom. Trying to work and parent was not working well for me at all. I was angry and bitter, pushing others away and it was really turning into a downward spiral. Quitting and doing this full time was the best thing I ever did for my self-confidence and happiness (which translates into better parenting.) Today's PE of <$8 is accompanied by summer reading program sign ups and that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.
It is AMAZING how a little flexibility can go such a looooong way.

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
https://turkopticon.ucsd.edu/A1XC2BPDOVHBTI

has anyone done the Q&A hits for this RQ? I signed up but not sure what I got myself into as of yet lol
I have not through Mturk, I may be wrong but I think I have worked through reddit for this requester. I only know this because the reviews sound like the setup the person suggested. The work I did involved data entry and research.

Reactions: GTR

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
It is AMAZING how a little flexibility can go such a looooong way.
Right. My daughter is able to continue dancing thanks to mturk. I won't beat around the bush, my husband is on the list for a heart. He only gets 40% of his pay, and not based on his overtime, so he makes 1970 a month now despite the fact that he was working 12 hour days for 5-6 weeks at a time, one day off then right back at it. As a caregiver that had to quit and stay home, I lost all of my salary, about 36-42k depending on the year and caseload etc.... We were hit hard, and without this our little would have had to quit dancing. We eat, keep our utilities on, and she dances. Pretty much our life. Oh and 2 in college, another heading there next year. That is hard.

GTR

Reaction score
I'm testing the waters, seems pretty alright.
I saw them yesterday, and they sat for a good while, then they got done I guess, now this new batch butt still no TO

Reactions: jklmnop

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
Controlling for other factors, IMO adding a second monitor is perhaps the most efficient way to boost earnings. Is it a hardware limitation?
It's a several-things limitation. My computer is dying. I have no desk here/no space right now. (My laptop is literally on my lap. ) I have no extra funds. That's probably a short list, w/o getting into all my shit.

stuffalleysays

I was here
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been turking for like 7 years, and I've still only had maybe three or four $100+ days.
I dunno how you guys do it.
Like I know you have things I can't do, like multi-monitors, and I know my internet is fucking me up being slow and quitting on me 3-8x a day...
I dunno how y'all can grind like that, I have so much shit to do between HITs. o.0
I assume that some are able to complete more than one hit at a time. Though I am not certain what the rules are regarding such. I know some requesters frown on it, but mturk in general I've no idea.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Write a brief comment about a product or service | PANDA
Requester: MAD Labs [AH3L9684FUCS6] (Contact)
TV: [Hrly: $23.99] [Pay: 4.70] [Fast: 3.40] [Comm: 4.33] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Blk: 0]
TO: [Pay: 4.12] [Fast: 4.34] [Comm: 3.23] [Fair: 4.32] [Reviews: 53] [ToS: 3]
TO2: [Hrly: $11.842] [Pen: 3.50 days] [Res: ---] [Rec: 100% of 3] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Duration:
3 hours
Available: 1
Reward: $2.50
Description:
You will write five brief comments about your perception of how well 5 products or services solve a given problem. Your comments will be used in a non-commercial website prototype.
Requirements: Location EqualTo US

Sarcasmologist

Profanity really makes the sentence!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Right. My daughter is able to continue dancing thanks to mturk. I won't beat around the bush, my husband is on the list for a heart. He only gets 40% of his pay, and not based on his overtime, so he makes 1970 a month now despite the fact that he was working 12 hour days for 5-6 weeks at a time, one day off then right back at it. As a caregiver that had to quit and stay home, I lost all of my salary, about 36-42k depending on the year and caseload etc.... We were hit hard, and without this our little would have had to quit dancing. We eat, keep our utilities on, and she dances. Pretty much our life. Oh and 2 in college, another heading there next year. That is hard.
it really sucks when your kids have to go without anything because of what life throws at the parents... i'm happy that you guys are keeping together

Sarcasmologist

Profanity really makes the sentence!!
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a several-things limitation. My computer is dying. I have no desk here/no space right now. (My laptop is literally on my lap. ) I have no extra funds. That's probably a short list, w/o getting into all my shit.
i'm in a one bedroom with three kids.. just signed my sixth lease.. but my oldest has been in private school all of life, and my children never do without.. when they are all in school, i'll be fine with going to work, but it's too much out here and i don't trust people with my babies like that... they also break everything i buy so that's another thing...

damn, this thread got heavy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.