Coloring, Drawing, Painting

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
If y'all haven't seen it, Jenny Lawson's You Are Here is really great.

I've been thinking or ordering this one. I'm going to need a list of all the pens, markers and colored pencils you use because all your stuff looks fucking fantastic.

You showed up on the perfect day! Look at the poll in the main thread.

Reactions: Jaded

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking or ordering this one. I'm going to need a list of all the pens, markers and colored pencils you use because all your stuff looks fucking fantastic.

You showed up on the perfect day! Look at the poll in the main thread.
I'm about to take a bath, but when I get out I will gather some links for you! :kissingheart:

[eta] Showed our girl some love in the poll.

Last edited:

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Okie dokie, Loki Vanyanka @Vanyanka , here's what I've been using.

• Prismacolor Premiers, I won't bother linking cos everyone has them. I have the set of 72 currently, but I have it on good authority that I'll be getting a bigger set for Christmas. A blender pencil is pretty much necessary. I have the Prismacolor blender, but don't like it much. It feels too scratchy and casts a grey tint on things, IMO. I do love the Derwent blenders and burnishers, though. They're not the best for some lighter colours, though (this is my experience with all blender pencils), so for those I typically just use a cheap white pencil. I say cheap, cos the harder cores are good for blending and smoothing. The white Prisma actually lays down white colour and doesn't work as well.
  • Ohuhu Dual Tip Markers. Alcohol markers are great cos they don't typically get streaky and blend well. I like these a lot, and you can get them for 50¢ each. They are obviously not Copics, and I do wish they had a brush tip, but I'm learning to work with the chisel point. I got the set of 80 and when a handful of the markers were dry or leaky, they sent me an entire second set as a replacement, which is just excellent customer service, so I will always recommend them. These WILL bleed through, though, so make sure you don't want to colour anything on the opposite side of the page, and use several pieces of paper under whatever you're colouring so it doesn't ruin other pages in the book.
  • I have, like, 5 or 6 different sets of gel pens, but I've been finding myself using the Smart Color Art set of 140 the most lately. The majority of them have glitter (including neon glitter!) and I fucking love glitter. I also looooooove the Pilot Juice .38s for working with teeny tiny spaces.
  • Staedtler Triplus Fineliners, these are also outstanding for tiny spaces. The box is shit, though, so I keep them in a roll. They also come in different packages, but it looks like this one is cheapest rn.
  • Derwent Inktense pencils. Girl, these pencils are fucking amazing, like magic. I have the set of 36, but totally want the full line. You colour with them like a pencil, and think it looks kind of shitty, but when you go over them with water (you can use a regular paintbrush and water, but I have and really like these) the ink is activated and the colours pop and turn really vibrant. "Okay, sounds like watercolour pencils," right? WRONG. Because it's actually ink, so once it dries, you don't have to worry about fucking up by going over the same area again. You can also layer colour in really cool ways. I cannot say enough good things about these.
  • Uniball Signo White, for adding highlights and also covering fuckups that won't be erased.
  • A few other indispensable items: battery powered eraser, T'Gaal multisharpener (on the #1 setting, it returns your Prismas to their out of the box points. Less wood shaved off means your pencils will last a lot longer), eraser pencils with a brush on the end for clearing schmutz off your page without having to touch it with your hand.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Okie dokie, Loki Vanyanka @Vanyanka , here's what I've been using.

• Prismacolor Premiers, I won't bother linking cos everyone has them. I have the set of 72 currently, but I have it on good authority that I'll be getting a bigger set for Christmas. A blender pencil is pretty much necessary. I have the Prismacolor blender, but don't like it much. It feels too scratchy and casts a grey tint on things, IMO. I do love the Derwent blenders and burnishers, though. They're not the best for some lighter colours, though (this is my experience with all blender pencils), so for those I typically just use a cheap white pencil. I say cheap, cos the harder cores are good for blending and smoothing. The white Prisma actually lays down white colour and doesn't work as well.
  • Ohuhu Dual Tip Markers. Alcohol markers are great cos they don't typically get streaky and blend well. I like these a lot, and you can get them for 50¢ each. They are obviously not Copics, and I do wish they had a brush tip, but I'm learning to work with the chisel point. I got the set of 80 and when a handful of the markers were dry or leaky, they sent me an entire second set as a replacement, which is just excellent customer service, so I will always recommend them. These WILL bleed through, though, so make sure you don't want to colour anything on the opposite side of the page, and use several pieces of paper under whatever you're colouring so it doesn't ruin other pages in the book.
  • I have, like, 5 or 6 different sets of gel pens, but I've been finding myself using the Smart Color Art set of 140 the most lately. The majority of them have glitter (including neon glitter!) and I fucking love glitter. I also looooooove the Pilot Juice .38s for working with teeny tiny spaces.
  • Staedtler Triplus Fineliners, these are also outstanding for tiny spaces. The box is shit, though, so I keep them in a roll. They also come in different packages, but it looks like this one is cheapest rn.
  • Derwent Inktense pencils. Girl, these pencils are fucking amazing, like magic. I have the set of 36, but totally want the full line. You colour with them like a pencil, and think it looks kind of shitty, but when you go over them with water (you can use a regular paintbrush and water, but I have and really like these) the ink is activated and the colours pop and turn really vibrant. "Okay, sounds like watercolour pencils," right? WRONG. Because it's actually ink, so once it dries, you don't have to worry about fucking up by going over the same area again. You can also layer colour in really cool ways. I cannot say enough good things about these.
  • Uniball Signo White, for adding highlights and also covering fuckups that won't be erased.
  • A few other indispensable items: battery powered eraser, T'Gaal multisharpener (on the #1 setting, it returns your Prismas to their out of the box points. Less wood shaved off means your pencils will last a lot longer), eraser pencils with a brush on the end for clearing schmutz off your page without having to touch it with your hand.
Okay, I actually love you this is amazing. I actually have the Prismacolors and a blender pencil. A cheap white pencil for blending lighter colors? Genius. I also have the Stadtler Triplus Fineliners. Everything else is going straight on my wish list.

Thank you for all the detailed tips, I'm going to take my coloring game to a whole new level. Do you mix mediums? Markers with pencils and so on? This is honestly invaluable information to me so thank you.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I actually love you this is amazing. I actually have the Prismacolors and a blender pencil. A cheap white pencil for blending lighter colors? Genius. I also have the Stadtler Triplus Fineliners. Everything else is going straight on my wish list.

Thank you for all the detailed tips, I'm going to take my coloring game to a whole new level. Do you mix mediums? Markers with pencils and so on? This is honestly invaluable information to me so thank you.
Sometimes. I will use gel pens to add sparkles or highlights to both pencils and markers. I'll use pencils to add shading to markers. Markers on pencil pictures if I want deeper colour than the pencils provide.

I also use Pinterest for colouring tips and tutorials (and to save colour palettes for when I'm uninspired).

Last edited:

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't think I like this. (Sky is green for Radiation and whatnot)

Last edited:
Reactions: scrmcasey

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Thtalooks weirdly like grainy or something

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

I don't think I like this. (Sky is green for Radiation and whatnot)
I think it looks neat! I understood the concept before reading your explanation (well, not necessarily radiation, but post-apocalyptic)

Reactions: Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it looks neat! I understood the concept before reading your explanation (well, not necessarily radiation, but post-apocalyptic)

I ran the blender pencil over it and I think that made some of the bakcground/jeans look a little better. Idk why but I have a hard time making any of my blues (except the really dark one) blend at all.

Uh, I should probably be working rn.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
That's awesome, what's it from?
The Beauty of Horror II: Ghouliana's Creepatorium

I love both of these books so much.

I LOVE this idea! I have so many eyeshadows I no longer use that are perfect and shimmery.
I was surprised by how much I loved the way it turned out. Maybe I don't need the chalk pastels on my wishlist, after all! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jaded and scrmcasey