12/17 - Manic Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yup, his wasn't an online school, but it was 100% predatory. Not many options in his area, didn't want to move away, thought it would be less expensive... ugh.

How to chose a college and if you even should choose a college should be a class in High-School.
yeah i had no fucking idea what I was doing. I went to an alternative hs for my senior year and tbh most kids didn't graduate, let alone go to college. My guidance counselor straight told me she didn't have much experience scouting colleges. all they taught me to do was fill out a fafsa.

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
yeah i had no fucking idea what I was doing. I went to an alternative hs for my senior year and tbh most kids didn't graduate, let alone go to college. My guidance counselor straight told me she didn't have much experience scouting colleges. all they taught me to do was fill out a fafsa.
High five for alternative high school kids!

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
lol no kidding. I went to a private college and for my assoc. and a few semesters of social work I'm like...almost $30k in debt. fuuuuck.

have you found that it's worthless? Real question, not being snarky. lol
Worthless? Not at all. But I'm not looking at this from the angle of what job I could because of it or earnings it could gain me, but the path it put me on, where it led me.

Kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score
I was lucky. I have $0 student loan debt and never had any. My dad saved up money while I was a kid which got me part way through school for accounting. After a dropped out as a senior :D and went to work, my work paid for the the rest when I finally went back 15 years later for a Bus. Admin degree. They also paid for the AA degree (that I need one more class to get) that has to do with electrical. Also, I have earned 2X the money as an electrician as I think I might have using my degree.

turkinlight

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: A Healthier New Year – Part 1(~ 20 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Chris Davis [A3HP0CORORK2M1] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$6.84] [Pay=2.00] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.00] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=1] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.50
Duration: 45:00
Available: 6
Description: Do you have a New Year’s resolution to “get in shape”, “lose weight”, or “exercise more”? Within the current survey, you will be asked a series of questions about your desire to either “get in shape”, “lose weight”, or “exercise more” in the New Year. Further, you will be asked to tell us a little about the behaviors that you plan to enact in order to work towards your goal. This study will take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
Qualifications: Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 80; Location In CA, US; Exc: [120830-120241] DoesNotExist
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.5
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
5 minutes[/td][/tr]
Same 5 minutes. Thanks

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
I was lucky. I have $0 student loan debt and never had any. My dad saved up money while I was a kid which got me part way through school for accounting. After a dropped out as a senior :D and went to work, my work paid for the the rest when I finally went back 15 years later for a Bus. Admin degree. They also paid for the AA degree (that I need one more class to get) that has to do with electrical. Also, I have earned 2X the money as an electrician as I think I might have using my degree.
my bio dad passed before 1year old. My mom squirreled away the money, so I have no debt. I would definitely more bitter if I had debt right now.

Maria Tortilla

Dave Grohl is my spirit animal
Contributor
Reaction score
Even if my parents couldn't have helped me financially at the time (and they totally could have), they could have at least helped me pick a college and helped me with the loans and figuring all that b.s out. High school didn't teach kids about student loan debt at all back then. Maybe they do now. All they ever did was ASSUME you're going to college because back then you just HAD TO.

SmolAliens

Reaction score
Not all business degrees are a magical key to success...I only took 3 years for my BA in International Business since I had transfer credits from high school and didn't mind 5 classes a day. Still $70k in debt, working for peanuts (even in my dream field), and the degree is an expensive piece of toilet paper. The kids who 'succeeded' did so because Daddy had friends who could get them a job.

If I could do it over again I'd still have moved to FL but I'm not sure which school I would have gone to. The state school down the road from mine would have been the same price as the liberal arts country club after scholarships. My school literally gave me half off and it was still $70k in 3 years. The system is forked up.

Last edited:

SmolAliens

Reaction score
Even if my parents couldn't have helped me financially at the time (and they totally could have), they could have at least helped me pick a college and helped me with the loans and figuring all that b.s out. High school didn't teach kids about student loan debt at all back then. Maybe they do now. All they ever did was ASSUME you're going to college because back then you just HAD TO.
THIS. I came from a po-dunk town where barely anyone made it out, so everyone just assumed if you were smart enough to go to college you were smart enough to make the right choices. Uhh...I was 17. I made a LOT of stupid choices at that age.

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
well if you have a government job it's a damn good degree, failing that though I don't see wtf it's good for
I'd like to give you a good answer, sir, and I'm trying to think of one. :)

In so far as a government job is concerned, I think I think a degree in administration or psychology or sociology might be better suited.

Reactions: SherryNotShirley

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
While we are on the subject, anyone have any good online colleges to recommend that won't put me largely in debt? (buying a house is in our 5 year plan, so probably shouldn't even add any more debt) I've been thinking about going back to school and keep putting it off. Mostly because I'm not positive what I wanna be when I grow up, and also because of more debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.