08/17 - Finally Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffee.cup

ALL YOUR SURVEY ARE BELONG TO ME!
Reaction score
Don't need much more than that for a business pc. I don't lag at all. I also don't run 30 tabs for no reason, or game. I stream media on a different pc. I just got these 2 computers last month and they had 4gb. So that's what they still have, until I feel a real need or find a really good deal. i3 3.5ghz w/4gb ram and onboard video is all you need to turk. Even less and you can get by.

Why? Do you think more is necessary?
Are these Linux based clients? The growth rate of integrated software resource consumption, like Adobe or Java for example, will eventually make 4GB a struggle in the next few years for Windows OS due to the service-based nature of that environment. I wouldn't buy a PC with 4GB at this point personally if the motherboard wasn't supportive of an upgrade to 16GB. I feel like you're just doing yourself a disservice at that point!

Reactions: Jerami and Starslip

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
In search of

Oh I'm sorry if I made you think I had found a batch called ISO lol
Back when newspaper 'personal ads' were a thing, it used to also be short for Is Seeking Other, which means pretty much the same thing. I only know this because there used to me a little 'personal ad decoder' printed in the paper as well. It was there because they had less characters than a tweet. So, everything was abbreviated. The first line of a personal ad was usually something like "5'8"BHBEDWFISO for long walks in the park..."

:)

Reactions: cb456

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Choice experiment(~ 6 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Ernan Haruvy [A1UGVGUQRE790J] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$25.12] [Pay=5.00] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.00] [Fast=4.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=7] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 2700
Available: 1
Description: You will make a brief paid choice
Qualifications: Exc: [-889291231-102736] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 20
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Starslip

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll take this as a sign from the Loa that I should be playing Battle for Azeroth. Catch you later turkerinos

Reactions: Michele

coffee.cup

ALL YOUR SURVEY ARE BELONG TO ME!
Reaction score
Are these Linux based clients? The growth rate of integrated software resource consumption, like Adobe or Java for example, will eventually make 4GB a struggle in the next few years for Windows OS due to the service-based nature of that environment. I wouldn't buy a PC with 4GB at this point personally if the motherboard wasn't supportive of an upgrade to 16GB. I feel like you're just doing yourself a disservice at that point!
Not that any of this matters down the road anyway. Eventually we'll all be on some horrendous child solution of HaaS and Cloud AWS.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Oh, it supports more but, I have no need at the moment. No they aren't linux boxes. I'm using Windows 7Pro. They're Dell XE2's from Oct of 2015 and they work just fine for turking and the like. I could slap a bunch more ram in there if I had the need. I think having 64gb just to turk is equally doing yourself and your wallet a disservice. My laptop has 3GB and I was turking on it as a spare until last month.

Reactions: coffee.cup

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Back when newspaper 'personal ads' were a thing, it used to also be short for Is Seeking Other, which means pretty much the same thing. I only know this because there used to me a little 'personal ad decoder' printed in the paper as well. It was there because they had less characters than a tweet. So, everything was abbreviated. The first line of a personal ad was usually something like "5'8"BHBEDWFISO for long walks in the park..."

:)
Do you like piña coladas?

Reactions: Jerami

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Oh, it supports more but, I have no need at the moment. No they aren't linux boxes. I'm using Windows 7Pro. They're Dell XE2's from Oct of 2015 and they work just fine for turking and the like. I could slap a bunch more ram in there if I had the need. I think having 64gb to turk is equally doing yourself and your wallet a disservice. My laptop has 3GB and I was turking on it as a spare until last month.
My older Win7 systems only used 980MB of RAM for basic operations, so 4GB was sufficient for Turking. As long as you're keeping an eye on your system performance in the Task Manager and you're not topping out your RAM, then you're in good shape.

Anyway, internet service provider latency truly is one of the most important specs that matters for Turking.

Shawen

Reaction score
Newb question: How do you post HITS on here with the summary details and links?

Reactions: cb456

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
My older Win7 systems only used 980MB of RAM for basic operations, so 4GB was sufficient for Turking. As long as you're keeping an eye on your system performance in the Task Manager and you're not topping out your RAM, then you're in good shape.

Anyway, internet service provider latency truly is one of the most important specs that matters for Turking.
I'm sure I'll take one of these and snag the other 4 gig stick from the second pc and put it in as my '8gb HIT machine'. Then I'll get a couple 16gb sticks around cyber Monday and run 32 in my 'Everything else pc'. :)

I only got them a month ago and wanted to see how they fared "stock".

Status
Not open for further replies.