04/18 - Thunderstorm Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is Indian turkers buy legit US accounts and then use VPNs.
That doesn't negate the TOS violation. It's not the requestor's duty to accuse a worker of fraud for a mistake. That's Amazon's responsibility to sniff out fraud.
Fine, they can reject her for the mistake, but to accuse a worker of that, then demand an address, that's a problem.

Reactions: nana and LucyO

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Answer a survey about a new brand | Accept
Requester: Rebecca L Balliet [ATF0L1Y7A5013] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=[color=Steelblue]5.00[/color]] [Fast=[color=Steelblue]5.00[/color]] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=[color=Steelblue]5.00[/color]] [Reviews=1] [ToS=[color=Steelblue]0[/color]]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 2.50
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: This survey is intended to evaluate possible names for a new kind of vision center: A company that offers competitive pricing for eye exams and frames, and donates frames to a person in need for every exam and frame purchased.
Qualifications: None
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.9
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
That doesn't negate the TOS violation. It's not the requestor's duty to accuse a worker of fraud for a mistake. That's Amazon's responsibility to sniff out fraud.
Fine, they can reject her for the mistake, but to accuse a worker of that, then demand an address, that's a problem.
I agree, which is why I explicitly shared the TOS violation above. The requester obviously messed up and has gone about this the wrong way.

My point was just saying "Amazon validated me already!" doesn't solve the problem from a requesters standpoint.

Reactions: nana

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
So heard back from Empirical Jury.
You make a mistake that no americans make but nearly 80% of Indians make. Your name is ? If you send me a photo of a bill with that exact name and a US address on it within an hour i'll reverse the rejection.

Thinking that's against mturk terms and I am not willing to send him a picture of one of bills or my address so I guess I will eat this rejection and add them to my block list.
I'd just walk out of my house and walk to the nearest cross street while taking a video on my phone, then capture the street signs at the cross street. Then I'd email them the video.

Easily verifiable via Google Street view whether or not you are in the US and you don't need to provide them with your exact address.

klingeemonster

Does this poncho make me look fat?
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone get the feeling that a requester will put out a survey and get a good rating on the first few hits and later go back and pack on a bunch more questions on the same hit. I did a survey that TV said takes 15 minutes and it was honestly 25 pages of 40 questions a piece, the ultimate bubble hell with no end in sight. I finally threw it back, but this has happened before and I'm beginning to be suspicious. I'm not the fastest survey taker out there, but I'm usually around the average. Just curious if anyone else has suspected the same thing.

Reactions: LucyO

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
It still isn't their business beyond Amazon validating them is my point though.
I don't really understand. It is a researcher's responsibility to make sure their data is not being contaminated. If they are targeting US citizens and people from India are buying accounts and imputing answers that don't make sense -- it's their responsibility to combat that. Otherwise their results can't be used and they are wasting a lot of money (regardless of if Amazon SHOULD be stopping this from happening or not.) So they add English comprehension questions or something.

If you are simply saying that they shouldn't be asking for identification to reverse the rejection and should use a different method, then yeah, I agree.

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
So has anyone had to buy an extra ac for their house? I'm in that spot right now...
I put a window unit in my bedroom/office to keep it nice and cool with the computer running, and just leave the house a/c off most of the time.

lil queen trashmouth

Pile of ham
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Qualification for TV Previews | Accept
Requester: Unanimous A.I. [A1OVB3ATBAQ1KM] Contact
TO: [Pay=3.18] [Fast=4.41] [Comm=4.43] [Fair=4.50] [Reviews=47] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=8.25] [Pen=null] [Res=null] [Rec=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 0.03
Duration: 20:00
Description: Qualification for TV Previews
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 90; PB DoesNotExist
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Always Be Qualin'[/td][/tr]

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'd just walk out of my house and walk to the nearest cross street while taking a video on my phone, then capture the street signs at the cross street. Then I'd email them the video.

Easily verifiable via Google Street view whether or not you are in the US and you don't need to provide them with your exact address.
A novice VRAPI user would have the address coordinates and tax documents for the property in less than 30 seconds.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Survey on Decision Making(~ 15 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Florian Heeb [A2SW8ORQ16BVBB] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$[color=Steelblue]12.41[/color]] [Pay=[color=Mediumslateblue]Good[/color]] [Approval=[color=Mediumorchid]1-2 weeks[/color]] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=[color=Steelblue]0[/color]] [Blk=[color=Steelblue]0[/color]]
TO: [Pay=0.00] [Fast=0.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=0.00] [Reviews=1] [ToS=[color=Steelblue]0[/color]]
Reward: 2.00
Duration: 40:00
Available: 4
Description: Survey on Decision Making
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Exc: [1955591831-141669] DoesNotExist ; Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Short Online Task (UMass)(~ 5 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Hanne Melgård Watkins [A3UL38W4Q6LRVR] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$null] [Pay=Unrated] [Approval=Unrated] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=[color=Steelblue]0[/color]] [Blk=[color=Steelblue]0[/color]]
TO: No Reviews
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 20:00
Description: Read three short scenarios and respond using keyboard ('f', 'j')
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; SurveyGroup [2191] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 85; Exc: [4501372-140974] DoesNotExist ; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Diviana

Reaction score
Title: Survey about device and feature usage | Accept
Requester: ruixin [A1GGPKRCRNZVAT] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$44.99] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=Unrated] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
Reward: 0.25
Description: Please tell us about your usage of certain devices and features for $0.25. We may select you for the opportunity to take a followup survey for $1.00.
Qualifications: Already Taken DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 5000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95
1 question so it's like 20 seconds to do.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Survey about device and feature usage | Accept
Requester: ruixin [A1GGPKRCRNZVAT] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$44.99] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=Unrated] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
Reward: 0.25
Description: Please tell us about your usage of certain devices and features for $0.25. We may select you for the opportunity to take a followup survey for $1.00.
Qualifications: Already Taken DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 5000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95
1 question so it's like 20 seconds to do.
It asked me a few questions, but still super quick. Thank you.

Jrswish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[Mod Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
how is that a problem? Indian workers do trash work, indians don't belong on mturk, indians will do anything for a penny and will do terrible work just to make 20 cents.
Let's avoid the generalizations, please. I've known plenty of Indian workers on this platform that did work just as well as anyone else.

jan

Reaction score
Title: Complete a survey on government budgeting that takes approximately 5 minutes! | Accept
Requester: FAI study [A2R95KXQWJDZN5] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$16.31] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=5.00] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=1] [ToS=0]
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 10:00
Description: Complete a survey on government budgeting that takes approximately 5 minutes!
Qualifications: Completed class survey DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 97; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Status
Not open for further replies.