03/19 - Tabby Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know someone who got a gaming PC from them. It was overall good, I thought the price was slightly high, but the power supply was dangerously cheap. Like Yugo cheap. My friend replaced himself it when the company insisted it was fine. It is kind of a classic weak point in PCs.

Edit: personally I build my own gaming PCs and get mainly used Dell workstations for work PCs, but you probably know that by now. :)
I know some people love that company and others hate it...one thing I noticed when looking at one of their PCs is upgrading it would be really easy because the case is massive which is a perk.

Reactions: GoldenTemple

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
https://www.maingear.com/ is where i got my main desktop from. I got it 3 years ago, since then i've added a ssd, a better power supply, and a 1070 graphics card. I added those things just because i wanted to, not because something was wrong. I would suggest waiting for one of their sales, i know they have one around Christmas where you just get $100 off. Best PC i've ever had though, 0 problems.
*edit, looks like they even have some "March Madness" sale going on now
*edit again, holy crap, their "cheaper" desktop is $400 off with this "March Madness", pretty solid deal

Last edited:

sarcasta

sleepy kitshark
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Stanford HCI for work related to 38XPGNCKHTFFORVJYPJ6IWUCVI94VI.
The value of your bonus is: $9.90 USD

The Requester included this note:
Thanks for participating in our HIT!

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

Sincerely,
Amazon Mechanical Turk

This was for one of them. It ended during the initial chat with other turkeys. First one ended after about 13 min of chatting with the bot, no bonus.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
I know some people love that company and others hate it...one thing I noticed when looking at one of their PCs is upgrading it would be really easy because the case is massive which is a perk.
I'd just advise getting a specific parts list and checking them out. If they're good parts it'll almost certainly be a good PC.

Robedom

Reaction score
Ah so you like it? What computer was it?
i5 8400 with amd rx 580. More than suitable for what I needed it for (gaming + livestreaming).

Only thing I added was an SSD for boot partition.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd just advise getting a specific parts list and checking them out. If they're good parts it'll almost certainly be a good PC.
Yea that's true, you know what's interesting, this intel/AMD debate...I guess that's all personal preference.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i5 8400 with amd rx 580. More than suitable for what I needed it for (gaming + livestreaming).

Only thing I added was an SSD for boot partition.
I literally was just looking at one that had i5 with 8400 and that turbo boost deal etc etc.

GoldenTemple

Serial Liker
Contributor
Reaction score
seems you got the better deal
and this is for life
My cousin said he could get me a job at the IRS when I graduate this spring so I think there is still hope
that I can work a different soul crushing job other than mturk for the rest of my life :fingerscrossed: Im putting all my eggs into that basket :ahhh:

Robedom

Reaction score
I literally was just looking at one that had i5 with 8400 and that turbo boost deal etc etc.
Newest gen i5 is amazing for the price. Same goes for Ryzen 5 from amd.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Newest gen i5 is amazing for the price. Same goes for Ryzen 5 from amd.
See my laptop has AMD in it and I've been more than happy with it so there's a part of me that doesn't want to go back to intel..and then the other part doesn't really give a shit and I generally think they're both quality products.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea that's true, you know what's interesting, this intel/AMD debate...I guess that's all personal preference.
Kinda sorta. For a couple of decades AMD has been the "performance per dollar" champ and Intel the "performance at all costs" champ, as well as efficiency. Ryzen kind of caught AMD up and now it's a closer battle, in both performance and cost (AMD still a little cheaper but Intel had to drop prices).

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kinda sorta. For a couple of decades AMD has been the "performance per dollar" champ and Intel the "performance at all costs" champ, as well as efficiency. Ryzen kind of caught AMD up and now it's a closer battle, in both performance and cost (AMD still a little cheaper but Intel had to drop prices).
I like AMD for that reason forever Intel basically ran unopposed and did whatever they wanted, it's nice that isn't the case anymore.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
I like AMD for that reason forever Intel basically ran unopposed and did whatever they wanted, it's nice that isn't the case anymore.
Honestly they made better stuff for a long time. Not sure what they spent all that money on maybe it just cost that much. Back when I got my 860k Intel was WAAAAY ahead but too expensive for me (I had a really good job then but I paid off like $12k of debt in one year so I couldn't afford a shiny new i7 then).

I was an AMD shop for a long time because of prices, now I'm kind of a "whatever works" shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.