03/15 - Frightening Friday

Have you voted for the best submission in this week's Survivor challenge? https://bit.ly/2JgtU2V

• Yes because I care about people other than myself.

• No because I'm a selfish monster.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
whyyyy is car insurance so expensive??? My lowest quote so far is $127, most of them are around $300. wtf man
Tell me what you're looking for and what kind of car you have...and your driving record..mines about 160 a month for 2 cars one with full coverage.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Their IRB is 2 hours from here.

Just sayin'. Maybe if enough people have problems I can present them a list.
Stanford HCI has been absolutely terrible at communicating. Still waiting for a resolution to my issue 10 days ago.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Tell me what you're looking for and what kind of car you have...and your driving record..mines about 160 a month for 2 cars one with full coverage.
no driving record, I'm getting my full licence next week but I've had my permit for 8 years. it's a 2002 chevy cavalier

Reactions: cyberwasp

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
no driving record, I'm getting my full licence next week but I've had my permit for 8 years. it's a 2002 chevy cavalier
Usually for someone new and for a car like that you are just looking for liability right?

Progressive is probably going to be your best bet, I started with them forever ago...I have Shelter now.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Usually for someone new and for a car like that you are just looking for liability right?

Progressive is probably going to be your best bet, I started with them forever ago...I have Shelter now.
they're the 2nd cheapest quote, $139. Geico is $127, which is weird because the last 2 times I've gotten quotes from them it was around $300 :shrug:

Reactions: alk69

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
i also suggest Progressive. I only put liability on my truck and after all the discounts i got on progressive i'm only paying a tad over $200 every 6 months.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
they're the 2nd cheapest quote, $139. Geico is $127, which is weird because the last 2 times I've gotten quotes from them it was around $300 :shrug:
Hrm weird, be aware though if that is happening they may try to raise you as soon as they can.

Also if you go Progressive be aware that as a company they are literally for drivers that need insurance whether it is no experience or a horrid driving record they'll literally insure anyone so be aware they aren't exactly the best company.

PandaThief

Reaction score
whyyyy is car insurance so expensive??? My lowest quote so far is $127, most of them are around $300. wtf man
Check your LexisNexis report, it's free. Most people don't know that the claims that others at their address have filed can fuck them. If you have sketchy credit that might also affect the rates.

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Academic Survey on Perceptions of Reviews(~ 5 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Anne Wilson [A194WCO8PS67EO] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$11.21] [Pay=Fair] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.14] [Fast=4.47] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=25] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.40
Duration: 30:00
Available: 88
Description: survey
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
.40 would buy...1 k cup[/td][/tr]

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And yea that'll hurt there is some study that shows that if you have bad credit you're more likely to be in accidents, it's strange yet holds true people with bad credit are worse drivers generally.

Reactions: PandaThief

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
And yea that'll hurt there is some study that shows that if you have bad credit you're more likely to be in accidents, it's strange yet holds true people with bad credit are worse drivers generally.
well damn, that isn't reassuring

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Ah no, thank you. Thank YOU Pick Fu.

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from PickFu for work related to 3XD2A6FGFMT0IUYC90JKLM7TGBAS93.
The value of your bonus is: $0.10 USD

The Requester included this note:
------
Thanks for helping us categorize polls. Keep up the great work!

Thanks!
The PickFu Team

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
It's not 100% of the time true but it holds true enough that companies value it.
I'm terrified of driving. I haven't driven in over 4 years and I really don't want to start. but I'm also tired as hell of paying taxis and bumming rides from people. :cry:

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
themildone @themildone
as long as you've had car insurance through any company for a long while ( i don't remember exactly how long) you should be eligible for the "Platinum level" discount of something like that, i had to go through an insurance broker to get that discount though. Thats the biggest discount i got that helped make mine cheap with Progressive.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
themildone @themildone
as long as you've had car insurance through any company for a long while ( i don't remember exactly how long) you should be eligible for the "Platinum level" discount of something like that, i had to go through an insurance broker to get that discount though. Thats the biggest discount i got that helped make mine cheat with Progressive.
the longest Iv'e had car insurance was about 8 months :(

alk69

Reaction score
When I was still driving and buying auto insurance, I bought pay-by-the-mile insurance. At that time it cost me $54 for 6 months policy. This was for low mileage drivers and only liability. But my van was 30 years old. The inspector for the state sticker about fell over when he saw that. He'd never heard of such a thing. he, he.

Reactions: themildone

TinaBanina

Yarn Hoarder
Contributor
HIT Poster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
well damn, that isn't reassuring
Age also plays into your insurance rates. Generally, if you are a new driver, your rate will be higher. After around 25-26 years old, the rates start going down if you have a good record. I'm not sure if that applies if you didn't already have a license, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.