03/11 - Impromptu Dance Party Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
:nod: This is exactly it for me. I'm even picky re: laptops for this reason. My Microsoft Surface Pro just took a big dump and fixing it is like "Ehhhh"
I presently own a laptop as my primary just for portability but it drives me nuts how much more often I am replacing them than I would an actual desktop because I can upgrade a desktop to extend its life way more easily than my laptop.

All in Ones have places for tight spaces and some people just prefer them but they do have a rep of frying the fuck out of themselves.

All that junk compacted behind a monitor will get hot and shorten the life of the parts. Boards just love to warp like hell under those conditions.

Reactions: Despairagus

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All in Ones are prone to overheating issues.

I also personally prefer to have the option to easily repair a desktop if and when something goes to shit in it.

It's all about what works for you, though. If space is an issue then an all in one. Just know that you are likely to replace them way more often than a traditional desktop.
I didn't know they had overheating issues...it's weird how people are like I generally always buy HP cause I've had good luck with them and I don't like Dell's.

Also how do people feel about buying a computer from Costco?

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
feeling sneezy this morning ... we're going to Montreal for the rest of the week tomm afternoon.

I better not be sick :feelsdead:

420TurkItNerd

Reaction score
I didn't know they had overheating issues...it's weird how people are like I generally always buy HP cause I've had good luck with them and I don't like Dell's.

Costco isn't a bad deal for computers, but you will it get outdated and slow pretty fast atleast the laptops.
If you build your own desktop which is way easier then it sounds its a really good deal. I built mines in middle school for 1000 and has lasted me till now College and is super fast still can even play the latest games. All my siblings have upgraded their macs almost 4-5 times, and my dads replaced countless windows laptops from costco

Reactions: Despairagus

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Costco isn't a bad deal for computers, but you will it get outdated and slow pretty fast atleast the laptops.
If you build your own desktop which is way easier then it sounds its a really good deal. I built mines in middle school for 1000 and has lasted me till now College and is super fast still can even play the latest games. All my siblings have upgraded their macs almost 4-5 times, and my dads replaced countless windows laptops from costco
Yea, I'm not going laptop, I already have one of those I bought a super high end one a few years ago and it still does everything I need it to do without an issue.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score

I think source matters less than the brand.

That said, even a brand can be inconsistent in their products.

There are hundreds of brands of electronics and most are manufactured by 3 or 4 electronics builders in China. One model of an HP could be built at one of those Chinese factories and another model of HP could be built at a different factory. So it really is a crap shoot.

My current laptop is a Dell and it is glitchy, the power cord has a chip in it that is supposed to make charging easier but most of the time I have to fiddle with the cord to get it to charge, instead of just provide power while running.

Here's a good one - the same factory that manufactures most of Apple's tablets also makes the Amazon Kindle tablet line - which are a hell of a lot cheaper but utilize many of the same parts.

So, I think in summary - buy what you want to buy. It will work until it doesn't. Sure, some product designs are prone to issues more than others but it is about what works for you.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think source matters less than the brand.

That said, even a brand can be inconsistent in their products.

There are hundreds of brands of electronics and most are manufactured by 3 or 4 electronics builders in China. One model of an HP could be built at one of those Chinese factories and another model of HP could be built at a different factory. So it really is a crap shoot.

My current laptop is a Dell and it is glitchy, the power cord has a chip in it that is supposed to make charging easier but most of the time I have to fiddle with the cord to get it to charge, instead of just provide power while running.

Here's a good one - the same factory that manufactures most of Apple's tablets also makes the Amazon Kindle tablet line - which are a hell of a lot cheaper but utilize many of the same parts.

So, I think in summary - buy what you want to buy. It will work until it doesn't. Sure, some product designs are prone to issues more than others but it is about what works for you.
The biggest reason I looked at an all in one was because it was a bit cheaper overall lol. I honestly have learned there are some components I like more than others...like I prefer AMD over intel.

lolkatB

Contributor
Reaction score
Did he just buy a macbook and pay the premium on their parts to really just put windows on it :0
Oh no, he is an academic, work paid for it. He got to choose. He wanted an ultralight laptop and MBA really are fab for that. He needed to run windows as some of the programs he used for work wouldn't run on OSX.

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
You've received a bonus from Ben Green for work related to 3LOJFQ4BOYFHEGBP3BB5XFSZABGDKQ.
The value of your bonus is: $1.64 USD

The Requester included this note:
Sending bonus for HIT ID 3LOJFQ4BOYFHEGBP3BB5XFSZABGDKQ. Thank you!

You've received a bonus from Ben Green for work related to 3BJKPTD2QDCAI9KHFLKH3VWZ7G1TR2.
The value of your bonus is: $1.64 USD

The Requester included this note:
Sending bonus for HIT ID 3BJKPTD2QDCAI9KHFLKH3VWZ7G1TR2. Thank you!

Bonuses are always a good way to start the day. Mornin' Folks :coffee3:

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
The biggest reason I looked at an all in one was because it was a bit cheaper overall lol. I honestly have learned there are some components I like more than others...like I prefer AMD over intel.
If I'm building a PC anymore CPUs have taken a back seat to Graphics cards for me. Some people still want way overpowered CPUs but I like to have that processing power on the graphical end.

I guess it's the nerd version of a boobs or ass man argument.

420TurkItNerd

Reaction score
If I'm building a PC anymore CPUs have taken a back seat to Graphics cards for me. Some people still want way overpowered CPUs but I like to have that processing power on the graphical end.

I guess it's the nerd version of a boobs or ass man argument.
I learned to appreciate both just like the the man argument example, but if i had to choose i want that fat graphics card too

Reactions: sofaslug
Status
Not open for further replies.