Not open for further replies.

klingeemonster

Does this poncho make me look fat?
Contributor
Reaction score

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
so what do u guys think about the future fee for the Turker View script?

ChrisTurk

Reaction score
5/month for nearly 200,000 accurate wage data points that you can use to run your turk small business?

seems like quite a small price to pay tbh

bias notwithstanding.
I'm gonna shill here a bit, but not only for myself but for folks like Kadauchi @Kadauchi as well & say it goes way beyond this (ie, what is already there). Every time someone is working on a community project in our space it's a decision: do I want to make money for myself, or for everyone else?

That becomes a very difficult decision to make when projects get especially large (and that includes running a forum like MTC). I think we all know no one is getting filthy rich off of MTurk so continually giving up your own income potential to work on a project gets really rough at a certain point. That's ignoring the "emotional" aspects (which I'm mostly too dead inside to be privy to, but even I can admit takes a toll) of these kinda things.

And honestly eventually you get so good at it that you'd be better off bouncing & getting a "big boy" job doing it for a living than sticking around working for free.

Can y'all imagine what would happen if Kada bounced because Google or Amazon swept him up? And then MTurk makes a site change and MTS dies overnight? If not take a minute to ponder it, because its a real possibility. If your imagination is kicked from all the 'think of a time when' surveys you really only need to look at the tools some people still use every day to see it happening. HIT Scraper & Turk Master both "work" on worker and every single person using them right now can lose their account at any moment for doing so. I can upload a HIT and have a full page screenshot of your desktop if you're using HIT Scraper right now and there is no way for our community to fix that and no way for a user to stop it outside of teaching themselves JS.

I don't want anyone to pay for anything they're not getting value out of. That's dumb, and isn't my point, but just throwing out food for thought when people are discussing the merits of paid/unpaid services. Totally understand if folks have qualms about TV going for funding this way, I know I don't come here often to discuss the day-to-day ongoings/decision making that tend to make the folks intimately integrated into TV more comfortable with the idea so happy to have the convo with folks because I think its an important one to have.
Seriously, I have trouble just keeping up READING both forums. ChrisTurk @ChrisTurk is so self-deprecating and drop-everything-to-be-helpful... I don't know how he does it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011865IQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think it’s possible to raise concerns without questioning Chris Turk as a person.

I’m sure he’s swell.
FWIW I don't take any of anything personally. I'm okay enough with my own character flaws to be alright with anyone's opinions/thoughts haha.

Unless you talk smack about my Santa hat. Its only starting to smell a little funky, its fine. Everything is fine :p

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
If y'all haven't figured it out I'm a huge fan of CT's and appreciate everything he has done to make turking easier for, well, everyone. Not just the tools/forum he's created but all of the help he gives anyone who asks (or in some cases doesn't even ask, just mentions it). That guy has made my turking much easier and pay better many, many times.
To be fair, he is selling something. It's in his best interest to try to sway people that may be on the fence.

Concise

Buddhist Bacchante
Reaction score
When you get that ONE stray Sergey on panda...

And you're hoping it's a batch.... but it's just a one HIT... :biblethump:

then you wait... and wait.... :coffeepc:
{considers weed and Netflix}

Last edited:

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
To be fair, he is selling something. It's in his best interest to try to sway people that may be on the fence.
He hasn't been selling something until recently and has always been helpful and stuff has been free. That's what I was referring to.

And TV is still free. Don't have to pay to go to the website.

Turtlefemm

Mostly a Turtle
Contributor
Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, we do have to pay for this kind of data or things get bad like TO did at the end there. It costs a lot to maintain it and run the servers, and donations are never enough to cover those costs, so one person, who is usually a turker, ends up paying for it all themselves.

With all TV can do it's a really good deal. I'm certain it would pay for itself easily every month if all of its functions are used. Hell, I get a ton of higher paying hits (hourly wise) just using this script.
I agree with this and I thought the early adopter monthly rate of $4.99 per month was entirely reasonable for a tool that is invaluable to me. I would still use Turkopticon if it wasn't going belly up, but TV is worth it to me.

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
i thought you were memeing
unless you still are
:cautious:
I'm looking back at the thread and I'm like "wait, my post could have been seen as sarcastic, I shouldnt have responded"

then I was like wait, my I'm late as fuck post still could have been seen as sarcastic. I shouldnt have made THIS post!

Reactions: Despairagus

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with this and I thought the early adopter monthly rate of $4.99 per month was entirely reasonable for a tool that is invaluable to me. I would still use Turkopticon if it wasn't going belly up, but TV is worth it to me.
I have started very late pandas for hits that were reviewed at a great pay/hourly rate and caught them. I would not know they paid so well without TV. My entire earnings yesterday were from doing that. I was too lazy to look for hits myself so I just looked at what people reviewed that paid well and panda'd just those hits. Made good money being super lazy.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
He hasn't been selling something until recently and has always been helpful and stuff has been free. That's what I was referring to.

And TV is still free. Don't have to pay to go to the website.
I'm not starting an argument about his helpfulness. He has indeed done a lot to help people. I'm merely stating that he is offering a service, so it would be irresponsible of him to ignore posts over here from people that may be unsure of whether or not they want to pay for that service.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not starting an argument about his helpfulness. He has indeed done a lot to help people. I'm merely stating that he is offering a service, so it would be irresponsible of him to ignore posts over here from people that may be unsure of whether or not they want to pay for that service.
Ah, ok. Had no idea what you were referring to. My post was just a love note to CT overall, not about anything he is selling. Totally misunderstood that you were referring to posts being made over here and him responding.

And with that, I'm off for a while.

Reactions: ChrisTurk

nmelssx

Reaction score
So in Mturk Suite's Hit Catcher, it says Caught, Searched, and PRE. What does PRE mean?

ChrisTurk

Reaction score
So in Mturk Suite's Hit Catcher, it says Caught, Searched, and PRE. What does PRE mean?
PRE is page request error. You can only ask for a HIT (which is done by requesting a page/url) every so often. If you do it too much MTurk responds with an error and the PRE counter increments.

Don't worry so much about the overall count, worry about the % of your requests that error. Its up for debate, but I aim for 3-5% PRE rate. Nice balance of not requesting too much, but IMO hitting 0% PRE rate means you aren't maximizing your requests (which also means less chance of catching).

Though frankly.. you're talking about min-maxing like 10 requests/hour, so its not a huge deal as long as your error rate isn't something absurd like 10% or more.

975ms is a good starting point for the cycler.

Status
Not open for further replies.