Forum Guidelines and Moderation Discussion Thread

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a sincere question. What differentiates socializing and having fun from shitposting? I truly want to be a better member of the community but sometimes I get caught up in hearing my witty self talk. :p
I think it's a fine line. My personal opinion is that socializing and chatting is talk about what's going on in your life, what's for dinner, a cool movie you saw, etc. Shitposting is more like random GIFs or smileys that aren't related to any conversation going on, posts saying you're shitposting, or basically any posting that doesn't have an element of social engagement or positive contribution to the forum.

Squatty

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Alright.

What about holding a vote? (unless we have an overall consensus from the majority of members)

Options:

Can only win HIT Poster once a year.

or

A cap of two wins with a minimum of 6 months in between wins.

-----------------

Or any other suggestions
Will we have a poll?

If no poll, my vote is 2 cap and locked out forever

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Alright.

What about holding a vote? (unless we have an overall consensus from the majority of members)

Options:

or

-----------------

Or any other suggestions
Either of those sound fair to me. I think a vote sounds like a good idea. If it doesn't seem to encourage more people to help you could always go back to the way it is now.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
I have a sincere question. What differentiates socializing and having fun from shitposting? I truly want to be a better member of the community but sometimes I get caught up in hearing my witty self talk. :p
I think one of the biggest issues is the constant references to "shit posting".

There's also been several occurrences where members have quoted members posting hits with "why are you posting hits, this is the shit posting thread". That seems to discourage newer members posting hits, even if it is said in a lighthearted manner.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Alright.

Options:

or

-----------------

Or any other suggestions
Or add a Rookie of the Month award for newer members to encourage new blood but not discourage veteran HIT posters.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
Or add a Rookie of the Month award for newer members to encourage new blood but not discourage veteran HIT posters.
That is a really awesome idea.
That's a good idea if feasible.
Things to consider:

We would have to come up with a set of guidelines for it. (may or may not be difficult)

Would they get prize money for it and if they did, would we need to up the monthly donation goals or lower the reward amount for the other rewards.

Last edited:

minkyboodle

"And there you have it"
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Can we set (at least a temporary) poll at the top of this page for the vote? Seems it would be a good idea. Plus, no one can go after anyone for voting one way or another. (I know mods would stop this, but resentment may come out in less obvious or underhanded ways in the forum or further drive dissent/bad mojo.)

-The weirdo that just wants to bake a cake filled with rainbows, even though she doesn't even go here.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
That's a good idea if feasible.
Things to consider:

We would have to come up with a set of guidelines for it. (may or may not be difficult)

Would they get prize money for it and if they did, would we need to up the monthly donation goals or lower the reward about for the other rewards.
Yeah, dunno exactly how it would work. Maybe new members from the last 3/6/whatever months who haven't won a major award, with criteria as some mix of what it takes to win Crowd Pleaser and HIT Poster.

Is there an example of a person who would win this award so I can get a sense of what it's like? I don't know when people joined.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
And about the goal, you should at least raise it to $200 anyway.
About the goal, we've kept it at what we need to cover hosting costs plus the monthly awards. If we add another award with money attached to it, we'd need to raise it somewhat to cover that. But we've never asked for more than what we need to cover our costs, since we don't make any kind of profit or earnings from the forum.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
And about the goal, you should at least raise it to $200 anyway.
Having it set at $150 is about our monthly operating costs with the sever and the awards. We didn't want it set higher than what was needed so others didn't feel we were trying to monetize anything.

Also, up until Tuesday or Wednesday (I'm not sure which), we were only at $30 for the month until I mentioned it in the work thread, so having to up the goal makes me very nervous.

Last edited:

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
About the goal, we've kept it at what we need to cover hosting costs plus the monthly awards. If we add another award with money attached to it, we'd need to raise it somewhat to cover that. But we've never asked for more than what we need to cover our costs, since we don't make any kind of profit or earnings from the forum.
Having it set at $150 is about our monthly operating costs with the sever and the awards. We didn't want it set higher than what was needed so others didn't feel we were trying to monetize anything.

Also, up until Tuesday or Wednesday (I'm not sure which), we were only at $30 for the month until I mentioned it in the work thread, so having to up the goal makes me very nervous.
Could raise it and pay the winner (more than they get now) and runner up (something instead of nothing) for HIT Poster, and then have some rule about not winning more than three of those combined in some period of time.

The more money going to more people who post HITs the better.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Isn't the reward for Crowd Pleaser higher than Hit Poster? That one could be lowered and help pay for part of the new award. I know the mods don't want to do this, but really the Crowd Pleaser could just be a banner and come with no reward, I think most people would be happy with the recognition alone.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Would they get prize money for it and if they did, would we need to up the monthly donation goals or lower the reward amount for the other rewards.
I'd settle for a shiny banner, but that's just me. The winner could also become eligible for the other rewards depending on how long a poster keeps a rookie status.

MindNumbing

Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't the reward for Crowd Pleaser higher than Hit Poster? That one could be lowered and help pay for part of the new award. I know the mods don't want to do this, but really the Crowd Pleaser could just be a banner and come with no reward, I think most people would be happy with the recognition alone.
I was going to mention something along this line. Why have a monetary reward? Shouldn't the banner be enough? I would think it would be.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
Since crowd pleaser sometimes seems to be more of a popularity contest and HP is based on posting hits, I would't be opposed to lowering the amount of $ for CP and focusing more on HP.