10/16 - Madhouse Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsxca

Reaction score
Welcome to MTC! :wave2:
Thanks! Glad to be here :) I spent a huge chunk of Friday reading clickhappier's Masters FAQ so finally made an account. I actually got an e-mail response from a real, live human being (not an auto-response!!!) on the mTurk team last week so was trying to dig around and see if I could find any info I might not know on Masters and wound up here.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Any tips?? here is my settings: https://i.imgur.com/QcNAYm4.png
I'd remove the minimum TO number and uncheck "hide no TO". There are plenty of good requesters with no TO or with old TO that is outdated or TO that just has wrong scores. You'd be missing out on all of those. I also have my refresh number set to 3 seconds. And I don't use a minimum pay amount. You'd be missing stuff like a batch that pays 10 cents per HIT and takes 2 seconds each.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Thanks! Glad to be here :) I spent a huge chunk of Friday reading clickhappier's Masters FAQ so finally made an account. I actually got an e-mail response from a real, live human being (not an auto-response!!!) on the mTurk team last week so was trying to dig around and see if I could find any info I might not know on Masters and wound up here.
Wow! I am impressed you found a real person!! :ROFL:

Also wanted to mention on rejections that knowing how many rejections you can take to stay above 99% will help set your mind at ease. A Worst & Best case scenario script is built into MTurk Suite or you can get one by clickhappier @clickhappier here as well if you don't have one already. Just do good work, get your numbers up and you will be fine.

Reactions: <Gucci> and aveline

skyman

Reaction score
I'd remove the minimum TO number and uncheck "hide no TO". There are plenty of good requesters with no TO or with old TO that is outdated or TO that just has wrong scores. You'd be missing out on all of those. I also have my refresh number set to 3 seconds. And I don't use a minimum pay amount. You'd be missing stuff like a batch that pays 10 cents per HIT and takes 2 seconds each.
Or you get the famous example of an entire university department sharing a requester account and one person uploads a dud survey (.50 cents for something that actually takes 30 minutes or something otherwise asinine).

jsxca

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately, your approved numbers are still low enough that rejections are kind of a big deal. I started out much like you, doing mostly surveys and kinda avoiding batches because I was worried about getting a lot of rejections. As a result, it took me a while to build up enough approved HITs to provide a decent cushion to protect against rejections.

I would recommend keeping an eye out for some of the more well-known, safer batch requesters, and try to use those to pick up some quick numbers here and there while you're not working on surveys. If you're able to Amazon stuff, like Customer Interests or A9s, I would definitely do those. They're great for numbers, and while rejections aren't unheard of with them, they're still pretty safe.
I'm still bummed out that one, silly little rejection blemished my perfect score :) I'll never forget, it was a survey on mac and cheese of all things. I can still only take 97 rejects right now before it'd bring me below 99%. A9 shoes, Amazon product to interest audits, and Ben Peterson are my batch jams until I get my numbers a lot higher. I think at least 75-80% of my ~10k are all from those three, and literally 50% of my all of my HITs have all been from the past 15 days.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Or you get the famous example of an entire university department sharing a requester account and one person uploads a dud survey (.50 cents for something that actually takes 30 minutes or something otherwise asinine).
Yes, there are lots of universities with shared accounts and a mix of great and awful requesters use the one account.

Reactions: <Gucci> and Jerami

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I'm still bummed out that one, silly little rejection blemished my perfect score :) I'll never forget, it was a survey on mac and cheese of all things. I can still only take 97 rejects right now before it'd bring me below 99%. A9 shoes, Amazon product to interest audits, and Ben Peterson are my batch jams until I get my numbers a lot higher. I think at least 75-80% of my ~10k are all from those three, and literally 50% of my all of my HITs have all been from the past 15 days.
Nice, sounds like you're on the right track. And yeah, those first few rejections really sting. At least you got the first one out of the way, already. Rejections are just part of the game, but as long as you're keeping your approval rating at or above 99%, they're not that big of a deal.

Reactions: <Gucci>

jsxca

Reaction score
Wow! I am impressed you found a real person!! :ROFL:

Also wanted to mention on rejections that knowing how many rejections you can take to stay above 99% will help set your mind at ease. A Worst & Best case scenario script is built into MTurk Suite or you can get one by clickhappier @clickhappier here as well if you don't have one already. Just do good work, get your numbers up and you will be fine.
Two real people in fact! If I wasn't surprised as all get out that I got a first reply, I almost had a heart attack when they responded to my second e-mail because it was directly asking them how to get Masters. Unfortunately, they literally told me no useful information whatsoever, but the fact that they actually acknowledged a question about Masters made me feel special in and of itself.

In case anyone is curious about the actual e-mail itself:

Hi jsxca

This is Adele from Mechanical Turk Worker Support Team.

Thank you for reaching out. Looking at the previous correspondence I see that the Requester has contacted us regarding the mistaken Rejection.

There is no further action required from your end. As soon as your Rejection has been reversed, the Requester would contact you directly.

We appreciate your interest in becoming a Mechanical Turk Master. We grant this Qualification type on an on-going basis. The best thing you can do to achieve this Qualification is to demonstrate a high-level of accuracy in your submitted Assignments for a variety of Requesters on the Mechanical Turk marketplace.

We'll let you know if you qualify as a Mechanical Turk Master. You're able to see your qualifications in the "Qualifications" Tab under "Qualifications Assigned To You."

Please note that Workers cannot apply for this status - it is a performance based distinction.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us at any time.

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Create a list of characters for a short story | PANDA
Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
Requester: Hannah Rashkin [A5ZY2NLV5IM1Z] (Contact)
TO 1: [Pay: 4.15] [Fast: 4.92] [Comm: 1.67] [Fair: 4.83] [Reviews: 14] [ToS: 0]
TO 2:
Not Available
Reward: $0.05
Duration: 20 minutes
Available: 418
Description: Read a 5-sentence story and list the characters who appear in the story.
Requirements: PreviouslySubmittedEntityQuota has not been granted; Total approved HITs is not less than 1000; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 99;
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.25.7

Reactions: Michele and <Gucci>

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Two real people in fact! If I wasn't surprised as all get out that I got a first reply, I almost had a heart attack when they responded to my second e-mail because it was directly asking them how to get Masters. Unfortunately, they literally told me no useful information whatsoever, but the fact that they actually acknowledged a question about Masters made me feel special in and of itself.

In case anyone is curious about the actual e-mail itself:
There are many theories but mine is they chose Masters like this:

Piro

Here not There
Reaction score
i did a bunch of these and they all already approved, very good
Instructions say up to 12 companies per search term with bonuses for longer lists..but they don't submit with less than every ticker filled. Did you enter a ticker in every line/know about bonuses?

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: relationships survey for women(~ 15 minutes) | PANDA
Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
Requester: Tamar [A1LAHQRNQWQ8GV] (Contact)
TO 1: [Pay: 3.49] [Fast: 4.65] [Comm: 3.00] [Fair: 4.83] [Reviews: 47] [ToS: 0]
TO 2:
[Rate: --/hr] [Pen: -- days] [Res: -- of 0] [Rec: -- of 0] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Reward:
$1.50
Duration: 35 minutes
Available: 1
Description: Answer a few questions regarding social issues and relationships.
Requirements: Total approved HITs is not less than 100; Exc: [1650457937-60934] has not been granted; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 90; Location is one of: US;
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v1.25.7

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Instructions say up to 12 companies per search term with bonuses for longer lists..but they don't submit with less than every ticker filled. Did you enter a ticker in every line/know about bonuses?
yes, i did, and no, i don't have any bonuses yet but will post them if i do

Reactions: Piro
Status
Not open for further replies.