12/09 - Silly Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

catscratch

Reaction score
(continuation) ... So, yeah. Some HITs never get reviewed because, why would you tell a million people how awesome your favourite batch is? I mean, being nice is good and all but, that's the sort of mentality that lots of people have and I don't disagree with it. Regardless of what my specific thoughts are I understand. No point in telling your competition how to make your money, other than for karma. Lots of people care more about paying bills that collecting karma points.

Next point, just like reviews on Amazon, not all reviews are created equally, so to speak. Some people are bad at HITs. So, they review people from the perspective of being rejected for what they thought was good work, regardless of how little they followed the instructions. If that's the only review, the requester's score is tanked. But, unfortunately, that doesn't reflect the requester, just the reviewer.

And... TO(turkopticon) is going 'ReadOnly' soon, if not already. So, if that's where you get your reviews, no new ones will be coming.

To touch on the point of no reviews, they're almost always new requesters. As with anything, some new things are good, some are bad, some start off bad and turn good and sometimes the revers happens. Some requesters, when new, are just as new to Mturk as you are. So, they can sometimes have novice problems. That said, some requesters will work through those problems, usually with the help of turkers like you or me. For batches, you'll do a few, message the requester,"Hello. I am completing, and enjoying, your HITs from the batch that posted earlier but, I have a few(questions, suggestions, clarifications, etc). I have been coming across a lot of xxxx that could be marked either xxx or, xxx. What is the best choice in this situation? I only ask to help me to provide you with the best possible data. Thanks in advance for a quick reply. TurkerAYOU86987987"
If they get back to you with a good answer, probably a good requester. And now they know that you care about completing quality work. If they go to Qualified batches, your in good shape.
If it's not a batch, then helping them by messaging about any errors or broken studies has gotten me a bonus more than once. Some people would review it as "Broken. Do not attempt!" Then they have a bad score, broken HIT and no idea what they are doing. I do some of those too. I like being able to prove that a study isn't broken, just not done correctly. I also like to find the broken ones and help the requesters occasionally.

If a study(HIT) from a requester has no reviews but is being posted by a school(university, college, school "lab, etc.) are pretty safe. You can take that into consideration when deciding to do a non-reviewed HIT. Same with HITs from giant companies.(Amazon, Google[Endor], Snapchat, etc)

Basically, to sum up and answer your question: take all reviews, or lack of reviews with a grain of salt. There are other things that should get equal consideration for you like pay, timer, type of work and if it is something that you can be okay with doing for the pay that is offered. Because, no matter what any of the reviews say, or don't say, only you know what you like and no amount of reviews can convince you that a HIT is worth doing if you don't feel the same about that type of, or that specific HIT. If you don't like transcription, doesn't matter what the reviews are. They'll still suck, to you. Something as small as a "Recall a time when..." writing prompt can change someone's review significantly. It only takes one extra page to turn a review from, "Great HIT!" to ,"Bubble HELL!"

So, use your best judgement and don't let a review sway your decision too much in either direction(barring extreme cases). And with no reviews, still rely on the information that you have(pay, description, timer) to decide for yourself if it looks like it's worth doing. Most of the time you'll be fine and, sometimes when you should be fine, you still get a random rejection or a horrible requester. Just never get too deep(too many pending HITs) with one requester, until you feel safe with that requester.

Good luck.:)
Sorry so long.
Thank you for that valuable information! Yeah I have too many pending right now LOL. I'll keep this in mind!

Reactions: Jerami and Merovign

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
Always send a message about rejections. My percentage at getting rejections overturned is 100%.

That's one rejection LOL.
Yeah catscratch @catscratch , even if it's to say "hey, could you tell me HOW I messed this up, so I can learn from it..." they'll take a look at it, sometimes they'll see they didn't word things right, or it was incorrectly marked wrong... I think over the 497 years I've been turking, I've had more rejections reverses than I currently have. :)

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Looks like today should have been called Summary Sunday, with everyone posting their stats
A loong time ago, we all used to post them and an old member used to keep a database of how we did as a group and whatnot. It's kind of a hold over from then. We all forgot to stop doing it then new people saw it and emulated. So, now it just sort of happens.:p

Last edited:

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Thank you for that valuable information! Yeah I have too many pending right now LOL. I'll keep this in mind!
Too many pending is okay, if you don't have too many pending from a single unproven requester. Chances are that you aren't going to get a mass rejection from multiple requesters. So, to mitigate the risk, only have enough pending with a single unproven requester that, if they rejected all of them, you wouldn't drop below 99% approval. That's usually the rule. It's like the stock market. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, or whatever.

If you use this...
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18991-mturk-worker-dashboard-enhancer
... it will give you more info on how many you could have rejected and still be above 99% or 95%.(Bottom 2 rows)
It makes the HITs Overview on the Dashboard look like this

Last edited:

catscratch

Reaction score
Who rejected you? Why? Have you asked to have them reversed?
Also, you may need to slow down, as far as individual HITs, especially if any were due to missing attention checks. That's a big no-no and shouldn't really be a reason for rejections very often. If it is, you are definitely not reading closely enough or doing HITs too quickly, and are missing stuff. If that's the case, you aren't providing quality data and it will be a continuing issue for you. This is not me trying to reprimand you. I'm only trying to help you to be able to turk for as long as you want and want to help you nip any problems in the bud, before you get too many rejections to come back from.
I'm happy to help in any way I can. If you want to PM me at some point to open a dialogue. So that we can make sure that you are set for success and, if problems arise, you'll have a reference to go back to. Plus, it helps so that questions and answers don't clog the 'Daily'(HITs thread) or get lost in the 'Help' section.

But, I'm here for you! Get an avatar first, so I can remember you by image, then PM me at some point today, if you want.:)
Who rejected you? Why? Have you asked to have them reversed?
Also, you may need to slow down, as far as individual HITs, especially if any were due to missing attention checks. That's a big no-no and shouldn't really be a reason for rejections very often. If it is, you are definitely not reading closely enough or doing HITs too quickly, and are missing stuff. If that's the case, you aren't providing quality data and it will be a continuing issue for you. This is not me trying to reprimand you. I'm only trying to help you to be able to turk for as long as you want and want to help you nip any problems in the bud, before you get too many rejections to come back from.
I'm happy to help in any way I can. If you want to PM me at some point to open a dialogue. So that we can make sure that you are set for success and, if problems arise, you'll have a reference to go back to. Plus, it helps so that questions and answers don't clog the 'Daily'(HITs thread) or get lost in the 'Help' section.

But, I'm here for you! Get an avatar first, so I can remember you by image, then PM me at some point today, if you want.:)
I did read carefully but I did HITs with kind of confusing directions. I emailed both of th
Too many pending is okay, if you don't have too many pending from a single unproven requester. Chances are that you aren't going to get a mass rejection from multiple requesters. So, to mitigate the risk, only have enough pending with a single unproven requester that, if they rejected all of them, you wouldn't drop below 99% approval. That's usually the rule. It's like the stock market. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, or whatever.

If you use this...
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18991-mturk-worker-dashboard-enhancer
... it will give you more info on how many you could have rejected and still be above 99%.
It makes the HITs Overview on the Dashboard look like this
Whoa.... I'm gonna use that script and turk more after seeing those numbers :wideyed:

Reactions: cb456 and Jerami

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I did read carefully but I did HITs with kind of confusing directions. I emailed both of th

Whoa.... I'm gonna use that script and turk more after seeing those numbers :wideyed:
Those aren't my numbers. That's just a stock image from the script page.:D

Maybe Kadauchi's numbers since he wrote it. Not sure though.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Holy crap 2.3 m approvals? That's a lot of Online Buddies dick pics :D

Never done an online buddies but, they sound...lovely.

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Learn a small part of a new language. | PANDA
Requester: Kenny Smith [A2K4C3ROA6ONU2] (Req TV): $8.96/hr
(TO): [Pay: 4.33] [Fair: 5.00] [Comm: 5.00] [Fast: 5.00]
Description:
Learn a small part of a new language. The further you progress the more you earn (up to $8 total pay).
Time: 3 hour(s)
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $2.00
Qualifications: TolatokCompleted DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US;

Just finished that one, made it all the way to the optional ending. $6 bonus if you can make it through, my head is about to explode though. Took about a hour.

turkinlight

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Quick Press Game(~ 20 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Samuel Gershman [A1NLXULMPXG1OY] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$22.08] [Pay=4.53] [Fast=4.90] [Comm=3.50] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.16] [Fast=4.88] [Comm=4.44] [Fair=4.99] [Reviews=114] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=10.20] [Pen=0.47 days] [Res=50%] [Rec=95%] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 2.00
Duration: 40:00
Available: 1
Description: Play a game on the computer and win possible bonus money based on performance
Qualifications: SurveyGroup [1755] DoesNotExist ; Exc: [-1506280234-119190] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.5
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
8 or 9 minutes with a bonus.[/td][/tr]

Reactions: thismegan
Status
Not open for further replies.