12/09 - Silly Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm not spending much time on Mturk but the time I do spend is more productive.
I told myself I was going to take turking seriously this upcoming week and put together a workstation just in case I meant it.

Two monitors, two keyboards, two mice, a usb mic, and a bluetooth headset. .
Check out Input Director, if you want to be really efficient. I use it to control everything(2 pcs 3 monitors and a tv) with one keyboard and mouse. But, it also works in reverse, where you can make either keyboard the master, automatically. So whichever keyboard and mouse is closer will work. It's free. I use it and have for a while. http://www.inputdirector.com/
Some people use Synergy(my second choice) for the same or, Mouse Without Borders but, I think Input Director hits the sweet spot for me. Tried all 3. Input Director(ID) also has the fastest set-up time. You can have it set up in 5 minutes.

I thought that one would have been right up my alley but I just couldn't for some reason.
Everyone has preferences and some days I type. Some days, not so much.
~10minutes but, could be done quicker. Maybe less accurately, though.

Last edited:

reprise

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting something swift just for turking. Right now I use my regular laptop and it has lots of distractions. But I don't want to spend too much. Would a chromebook work for this? Or should I just make another profile on this computer...

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Attorneys Decision-Making Study | Accept
Requester: UNSW Forensic Lab [A5E8P2L5P6JBS] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$15.88] [Pay=4.29] [Fast=4.67] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.38] [Fast=4.86] [Comm=4.33] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=78] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=10.41] [Pen=1.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 2.00
Duration: 2:00:00
Available: 1
Description: You will be asked to read an expert report. You will then be asked to answer a number of questions about the expert, their report, and decisions you might make after having read the report.
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.5
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Under 20, Lots of reading so depends on reading with retention speed.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting something swift just for turking. Right now I use my regular laptop and it has lots of distractions. But I don't want to spend too much. Would a chromebook work for this? Or should I just make another profile on this computer...
You're much better off getting a used $100 "business" machine, imo. Chromebooks will work for some HITs but, some(a LOT) require Windows, as well. Chromebooks will work in a pinch but, for a $100, I suggest a business pc over a $100 chromebook.
I would make another profile or pickup another cheap machine. That's what I did and, why I use 2 pcs. I have one dedicated to HITs and, if you do that, you don't need anything that screams. Just something reasonably current. I use a Dell Optiplex XE2 and also a 780, for backup. The XE2 you can usually find on ebay or craigslist locally for about $90 used(that's what I sold mine for). They're solid business machines that they sold a ton of. I got mine when Toys R us went out of business. I got 3 for $60 a piece. They sold them all so, there's a ton out there right now. Toys R Us had more cashout aisles than any other store, except for home depot.

Last edited:

reprise

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Any laptops, or specs in laptops I should aim for? like I'm assuming an SSD and as much RAM as possible and cheap out on everything else (sound/picture/graphics card/etc)?

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Any laptops, or specs in laptops I should aim for? like I'm assuming an SSD and as much RAM as possible and cheap out on everything else (sound/picture/graphics card/etc)?
You don't need a ton of RAM, if you're just doing HITs on it. (Maybe RAM and CPU and Graphics, in that order? Just a guess)Turking, in general isn't super stressful on any single part of a pc. It's when you start running everything plus, YouTube, Pandora, your email, Facebook, MTC, an inquisit study, etc. So, I run both pcs and I do Hit finder and Hit Catcher and the forum and my email and Pandora, on my stronger machine, as catching HITs is the most important for me(can't do 'em if you can't catch 'em). Then I use my other pc for performing HITs. So, nothing is interfering with me completing my HITs, especially if I get an Inquisit that wants to take over my pc. And, If Inquisit does take over, I have Hit Catcher running on the other pc so, I don't miss anything while doing HITs in full screen.

I don't use a laptop so, I have no suggestions that way. But, TSolo315 @TSolo315 has you covered.:)

Last edited:

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Well, in my mind, the slowest time of the week is the next 6 hours. Perfect time for a break. I'll be back when Prolific wakes up.:)

Nikoratos

Contributor
Reaction score
Check out Input Director, if you want to be really efficient. I use it to control everything(2 pcs 3 monitors and a tv) with one keyboard and mouse. But, it also works in reverse, where you can make either keyboard the master, automatically. So whichever keyboard and mouse is closer will work. It's free. I use it and have for a while. http://www.inputdirector.com/
Some people use Synergy(my second choice) for the same or, Mouse Without Borders but, I think Input Director hits the sweet spot for me. Tried all 3. Input Director(ID) also has the fastest set-up time. You can have it set up in 5 minutes.

Everyone has preferences and some days I type. Some days, not so much
~10minutes but, could be done quicker. Maybe less accurately, though.

Input director looks useful as hell. I made a note about it in Keep for whenever I get back to using a Windows machine. I'm running Linux Mint on an old laptop and using Workspaces to manage my displays and to pin my windows. I haven't done anything with the mouse and keyboard setups. I don't know where to find most of the settings yet honestly. This is my first time using Linux.

Nikoratos

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm running an old HP with a dual core Centrino and 4 gigs of scavenged RAM :LOL::laughing:
You can get into one of these super cheap :laughing:

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Input director looks useful as hell. I made a note about it in Keep for whenever I get back to using a Windows machine. I'm running Linux Mint on an old laptop and using Workspaces to manage my displays and to pin my windows. I haven't done anything with the mouse and keyboard setups. I don't know where to find most of the settings yet honestly. This is my first time using Linux.
When you're ready to connect another machine, Synergy 1.10 works with Ubuntu and Windows, but I could not get used to Synergy 2 (upon idling the mouse kept reverting to its "home" machine).

Concise

Buddhist Bacchante
Reaction score
PE $63.10 (mturk)

Niessner Lab (a good chunk), a secret batch, and several surveys.

Overall total today $90 (with other contract stuff today). 15+ hours computer work. *thud

Status
Not open for further replies.