12/02 - Mojo Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaThief

Reaction score
Youtube cleaning things up, sad because i have some channels i like that might be shut down

Content creators everywhere are starting to panic about an upcoming policy change over at YouTube that threatens to eliminate all accounts and channels on the Google-owned video platform that are deemed to no longer be “commercially viable.”

In the “Account Suspension & Termination” section of YouTube’s “Terminations by YouTube for Service Changes,” guidelines, the company explains that, as of December 10, 2019, “YouTube may terminate your access, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the Service, if YouTube believes, in its sole discretion, that provision of the Service to you is no longer commercially viable.”

In other words, if you have a YouTube channel that YouTube employees decide isn’t profitable enough for Google, then the company has now granted itself the option to completely shut down your account without warning or consequence.

What this means is that YouTube content creators who’ve built their entire livelihoods around the platform are going to need a backup option in the event that they end up being terminated.

It also means that YouTube has created for itself yet another legal loophole to continue targeting channels that disseminate politically incorrect content, which YouTube has been trying to silence from its platform for at least the past several years.

In essence, YouTube now has a blanket excuse to pull down all channels that it wants to see eliminated by simply claiming that these channels are no longer profitable. And there will likely be no way for targeted YouTube users to prove otherwise.

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Youtube cleaning things up, sad because i have some channels i like that might be shut down

Content creators everywhere are starting to panic about an upcoming policy change over at YouTube that threatens to eliminate all accounts and channels on the Google-owned video platform that are deemed to no longer be “commercially viable.”

In the “Account Suspension & Termination” section of YouTube’s “Terminations by YouTube for Service Changes,” guidelines, the company explains that, as of December 10, 2019, “YouTube may terminate your access, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the Service, if YouTube believes, in its sole discretion, that provision of the Service to you is no longer commercially viable.”

In other words, if you have a YouTube channel that YouTube employees decide isn’t profitable enough for Google, then the company has now granted itself the option to completely shut down your account without warning or consequence.

What this means is that YouTube content creators who’ve built their entire livelihoods around the platform are going to need a backup option in the event that they end up being terminated.

It also means that YouTube has created for itself yet another legal loophole to continue targeting channels that disseminate politically incorrect content, which YouTube has been trying to silence from its platform for at least the past several years.

In essence, YouTube now has a blanket excuse to pull down all channels that it wants to see eliminated by simply claiming that these channels are no longer profitable. And there will likely be no way for targeted YouTube users to prove otherwise.
But...I thought the purpose of YouTube was so that people could share videos with one another? I didn't think that it had to be "commercially viable." And what constitutes commercial viability anyway? I'm sorry :(

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
that's too bad. When I'm in the market for a product that costs more than just a few bucks, I usually hit up Youtube to see if someone or several posted a video of the product so I can see what the product is like and some uses for it that I might also use it for or haven't thought of using it for. Those videos sometimes get 50 or 100 views in a 3-6 months because of it coming from someone who doesn't regularly post content or for a product that is niche (a product good for makers, for instance) so I have a feeling those videos are the kind of things that are going to be quickly pulled as it isn't getting a lot of views per day/month.

My favorite frequent-video content channels should be fine as they get thousands of views within the first month its posted so I"m sure its making Google a lot of money in addition to the share the creators get for frequent content.

Reactions: jan and LucyO

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Morning all. Hope everyone had a great weekend/holiday. I'm jealous of everyone that got snow.

Are there no choice labs this morning?
Still waiting ?

Reactions: jan and Castor

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
But...I thought the purpose of YouTube was so that people could share videos with one another? I didn't think that it had to be "commercially viable." And what constitutes commercial viability anyway? I'm sorry :(
I would imagine "commercially viable" means is the revenue brought in from people viewing the video greater than the cost to store it and stream it?

Reactions: vaxxine and LucyO

PandaThief

Reaction score
that's too bad. When I'm in the market for a product that costs more than just a few bucks, I usually hit up Youtube to see if someone or several posted a video of the product so I can see what the product is like and some uses for it that I might also use it for or haven't thought of using it for. Those videos sometimes get 50 or 100 views in a 3-6 months because of it coming from someone who doesn't regularly post content or for a product that is niche (a product good for makers, for instance) so I have a feeling those videos are the kind of things that are going to be quickly pulled as it isn't getting a lot of views per day/month.

My favorite frequent-video content channels should be fine as they get thousands of views within the first month its posted so I"m sure its making Google a lot of money in addition to the share the creators get for frequent content.
Honestly i'm all for those channels you mention staying put but that doesn't seem to be Google's objective . I wouldn't mind seeing some fitness shills and other snake oil sale people types get booted from the platform though

• Sad
Reactions: rsmath and LucyO

LucyO

Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I would imagine "commercially viable" means is the revenue brought in from people viewing the video greater than the cost to store it and stream it?
Yeah, but like you said, that cuts a lot of useful things out that aren't viewed that often. I don't know. It just feels slimy.

shellsy515

Reaction score
I guess I should actually do other HITS instead of just refreshing the Choice Lab page on Turkerview for hours :shrug:
I usually use HitForker. How can you tell on Turkerview when they've posted?

Reactions: LucyO

ekkirksey

Contributor
Reaction score
I usually use HitForker. How can you tell on Turkerview when they've posted?
I'll give that a try, I have much to learn in the ways of Turking!

They show up on the Requester page as soon as they get posted, so I usually just refresh that and grab the group ID when they go up.

Reactions: vaxxine

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Is it already snowing by you??
yep - just lightly. And it was only raining this morning but there was an accident in front of the school at drop-off and another one a block down :confused:

shellsy515

Reaction score
I'll give that a try, I have much to learn in the ways of Turking!

They show up on the Requester page as soon as they get posted, so I usually just refresh that and grab the group ID when they go up.
Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks! I'm still learning as well! :sunflower:

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Answer a survey about your opinions | Accept
Requester: Yixing Gao [A2CB4OUQJXS9XX] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$15.99] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=3-7 days] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.75
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 0
Description: Give us your opinion about our a hotel
Qualifications: Not available from queue exports.

Status
Not open for further replies.