11/18 - Friendly Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
"Military Intelligence" is not an oxymoron, as implied. When you join any branch of the military, you have to take what today is called the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery* (ASVAB). In order to be assigned to any intelligence branch [ I was with the Army Security Agency which dealt with SIGINT (signals intelligence" ) ], you have to score in the top ten percent of those taking the ASVAB. MI has significantly helped us win many a battle, and saved many a life. Just say'n.

And the National Security Agency is still hiring. :)

* "The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery is the most widely used multiple-aptitude test battery in the world. As an aptitude test, the ASVAB measures your strengths, weaknesses, and potential for future success. The ASVAB also provides you with career information for various civilian and military occupations and is an indicator for success in future endeavors whether you choose to go to college, vocational school, or a military career."
When I joined the service I got a 99 on my ASVAB. I didn't realize just how serious the recruiters were that I could literally do anything in the military until a few months later. I thought they were just giving me a hard time about being a stickler about knowing what I wanted and not accepting anything else.

Reactions: ChristopherASA

weakman

Reaction score
When I was in the hospital recovering from the cancer I promised myself I wasn't ever going to be a wage slave for someone else again... so I started looking for methods to work my own flexible hours from home that would be enough to live off of and support a business while I got it started.
Very inspirational. I want to be a landlord soon to make extra money while working my other main job as well as do mturk on the side.

Maria Tortilla

Dave Grohl is my spirit animal
Contributor
Reaction score
So, that $15 DRAPER HIT took me 3 hours and 45 mins...screw that shit!
But according to Penny Hoarder you can "realistically make $50 a month by doing mturk" so I think you are right on the money there.

RaffRiffofTurk

The Lord of Darkness Until 8 AM
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family. If they took her there, shouldn't they have also been there to pick her up after her appointment. I cannot imagine how frantic you and your family must have been.
We were on top of it. She actually called us from the phone in her room and told us she'd been admitted like 20 minutes after they admitted her. So I knew about it since 3:30 this afternoon. I made 3 phone calls and had her status, room number, and the nurse's name in the hospital. The nursing home had literally none of this when they called us. I am just indignant her nursing home didn't feel it right to look into the matter until 7 hours after they dropped her off.

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope your grandma's ok that's the most important thing. After that it sounds like a manager needs to be spoken to.
What state are you in, and which state "agency" deals with certification of nursing homes? Because they should hear about this, and the sooner the better. They might want to investigate.

RaffRiffofTurk

The Lord of Darkness Until 8 AM
Contributor
Reaction score
What state are you in, and which state "agency" deals with certification of nursing homes? Because they should hear about this, and the sooner the better. They might want to investigate.
We're in Florida. My mom was an RN for 20 years and has all of that stuff committed to memory and first thing tomorrow she's gonna get on the phone. We may have to leave messages since it's a weekend but Escambia County and Tallahassee will be hearing from us at length.

Reactions: ChristopherASA

P L A Y E R 9 1

Don't Mind The Salt!
Contributor
Reaction score
Had the worst day of the week today but looks like i've have reach weekly goal anyways so i am ok with this.
Today's Projected Earnings: $26.37

Reactions: Drwho10

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
It actually was pretty interesting, I miss the job itself sometimes, but never all the other bullshit that came with it. I got to travel to laboratories all over the world and design then build systems to aid in all kinds of interesting research. I kind of fell into it though instead of making a conscious choice to move in that direction, went to Purdue for their engineering program after I left the military... then dropped out before I graduated for a girl (I make notoriously horrible decisions that never go as badly as they could) and got a job as a technician with Dow. Impressed a few people by taking on personal projects of my own at work that made a huge difference to the scientists I was supporting and someone decided to take a chance on me.

It was brain cancer... so I wasn't insurable anymore for travel... I still have a lot of seizures, and some brain damage that affects my ability to move short term memory into long term memory. I forget more about every day than I remember... waking up in the morning is a big reset every day I have to keep meticulous notes because I never know what I am going to retain and what is just going to fall into the black hole of my memory loss. Not a very attractive condition to a prospective employer. And honestly... like I said I swore to never be a wage slave for someone else again. The fight took a lot out of me... chunk of my brain and a chunk of my life... and my priorities changed significantly. I went from being a high achieving ambitious guy who wanted to "rule the world" so to speak... to a guy who just wanted a quiet life and a creative job that made enough to be comfortable.
That makes sense. That's one hell of a struggle and I'm glad the part of you that strives to succeed didn't get lost in the ordeal.

Reactions: Blue

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly don't even remember where I got it from but on a show or maybe in a movie from ages ago someone was listing off a list of what they considered oxymorons and the list was jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, and mini-vans. I don't know why but that list just always stuck with me when it came time to list oxymorons.
That--jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, and mini-vans--is hilarious shit!! I'm glad we've had this "discussion." :) :)

Reactions: RaffRiffofTurk

weakman

Reaction score
Is weekends usually dead in terms of hits? I've always wondered if there is good paying hits on the weekend that I don't know about.

Maria Tortilla

Dave Grohl is my spirit animal
Contributor
Reaction score

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Not really long term imo, you end up going through a pretty big burn out. I personally took like 5 months off after doing that. I know C to the J @C to the J burned out as well.
I really think burning out is what drove me back to alcohol lol.
Well that and being an alcoholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.