that was a rare occurrence.

although i am ready for weekend warrior this weekend

• Love
Reactions: WillowWolf

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I guess I'm just curious how smooth a transition for someone who has been pretty well set up working at nights for a few years now to going to full time would be. I'm a big budget guy and hoping my goals are realistic until I find the right kind of job I want!
Aside from everything that was already said, work ethic really is everything. We all started with nothing. Putting a lot of effort into not just what you work on, but also learning how to work more efficiently, can go a long way. Always be trying to better yourself, whether you're learning to write your own scripts, learning how to get better at finding quals, practicing your typing, whatever. It all helps.

WillowWolf

Mischief Managed
Contributor
Reaction score
that was a rare occurrence.

although i am ready for weekend warrior this weekend
I don't see you in my group for the weekend, so you won't be able to make me look bad. lol :tantrum:

Reactions: Peachy

chrisd6

Reaction score
Aside from everything that was already said, work ethic really is everything. We all started with nothing. Putting a lot of effort into not just what you work on, but also learning how to work more efficiently, can go a long way. Always be trying to better yourself, whether you're learning to write your own scripts, learning how to get better at finding quals, practicing your typing, whatever. It all helps.
Very true, and I'd definitely agree.. work ethic applies to all aspects of life and this is no exception!
Something I'm not exactly experienced in is finding quals.. any tips there really? I've mainly relied on my amount of HITs completed and approval % to qualify me for things. Seems like I'm really missing out in this area

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: Acknowledging Racial Inequality | Accept
Requester: Winnifred Louis [A29TQOHZUJ99NT] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$23.06] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.52] [Fast=4.98] [Comm=4.33] [Fair=4.87] [Reviews=57] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.05
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: A survey looking at attitudes of racial minorities to racial inequality. You will be paid $0.05 for screening and an extra $4.50 (as bonus) is selected to complete the full study (~30 mins).
Qualifications: Not available from queue exports.

Reactions: Blakkat

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
The only thing I can add to this conversation chrisd6 @chrisd6 is to look at other sites as well. I've turked off and on for 4 years, with no Masters, and have a few closed quals. I recently lost a good job due to health issues and am back to full-time online work. I make an average of $400-600 a week total from all my gigs. I work on Appen, Prolific, User Testing and a few others. I also do freelance data entry/photo editing work that I've gotten through fellow turkers, requesters or former jobs. As long as I make my goal I don't care which platform it comes from and I would have a very hard time making that amount on just MTurk. Work ethic and time management are key. You have to put in the time and focus when the work is up. Harder than a real job you can clock in and out of at a normal time but it is doable.

Last edited:

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Very true, and I'd definitely agree.. work ethic applies to all aspects of life and this is no exception!
Something I'm not exactly experienced in is finding quals.. any tips there really? I've mainly relied on my amount of HITs completed and approval % to qualify me for things. Seems like I'm really missing out in this area
I think the most basic thing would be like adding "qual" to your scraper's include list. That's actually pretty decent for catching survey quals and even occasional batch quals. If you want to focus more on batches though, I would say inspect everything. HITs will often say in the instructions if they're qual HITs. A lot of batch quals just come from doing well on non-qual batches, so work on whatever you can. Another thing, which is probably one of the best ways IMO (though definitely easier said than done) is make friends. Find people that are willing to share what they know in exchange for you sharing what you know. Several sets of eyes on MTurk is better than one.

WillowWolf

Mischief Managed
Contributor
Reaction score
i think i am in it. i just haven't accepted the invite yet

Shit. I don't like losing Weekend Warrior. If your all your shoes are missing when you wake up, it wasn't me. I blame ChrisTurk @ChrisTurk . He can summon rain and killer mosquitoes, so I have faith in his ability to make shoes disappear, too.

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
i perform much better in weekend warriors than i do in workweek hustles.

i think it's the combination of less work on mTurk and the shorter time span to win that boosts my motivation a little.

Reactions: WillowWolf

chrisd6

Reaction score
The only thing I can add to this conversation chrisd6 @chrisd6 is to look at other sites as well. I've turked off and on for 4 years, with no Masters, and have a few closed quals. I recently lost a good job due to health issues and am back to full-time online work. I make an average of $400-600 a week total from all my gigs. I work on Appen, Prolific, User Testing and a few others. I also do freelance data entry/photo editing work that I've gotten through fellow turkers, requesters or former jobs. As long as I make my goal I don't care which platform it comes from and I would have a very hard time making that amount on just MTurk. Work ethic and time management are key. You have to put in the time and focus when the work is up. Harder than a real job you can clock in and out of at a normal time but it is doable.
You know, as dumb as this sounds... I've absolutely never thought to look to other websites in my 3 or 4 years doing this. I'll look into these types of sites but I'm not so sure I'd be well fit for it if any kind of skillset is required for those. For example, I would be absolutely terrible in the photo editing department! You have a solid point that if you hit your goal, the site it comes from doesnt matter at all.

Really hoping this risk i'm taking doesn't put me in the ground if I can't make full-time online work for a brief period of time.. haha

I think the most basic thing would be like adding "qual" to your scraper's include list. That's actually pretty decent for catching survey quals and even occasional batch quals. If you want to focus more on batches though, I would say inspect everything. HITs will often say in the instructions if they're qual HITs. A lot of batch quals just come from doing well on non-qual batches, so work on whatever you can. Another thing, which is probably one of the best ways IMO (though definitely easier said than done) is make friends. Find people that are willing to share what they know in exchange for you sharing what you know. Several sets of eyes on MTurk is better than one.
Oh no, you're making me think I may have been scraping through HITs wrong for over a year now! I have my scraper set to scrape all HITs i'm qualified for that pay over 0.05. Is there a different way you normally do this? Maybe it's because I've only done this at night but I feel I rarely find solid qualifier HITs besides 1-2 week studies and then they're gone never to return.

As you can tell, I never gave much thought to this. Just did what I found at night for an extra $15+ in beer money at night

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Oh no, you're making me think I may have been scraping through HITs wrong for over a year now! I have my scraper set to scrape all HITs i'm qualified for that pay over 0.05. Is there a different way you normally do this? Maybe it's because I've only done this at night but I feel I rarely find solid qualifier HITs besides 1-2 week studies and then they're gone never to return.

As you can tell, I never gave much thought to this. Just did what I found at night for an extra $15+ in beer money at night
I would definitely set the minimum pay to like $0. Many qual HITs don't pay anything and there are some decent batches to be found in the 2c-4c range.

Reactions: cyberwasp

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Honestly, it depends. Surveys definitely seem to be a little more plentiful in the morning and day time hours. Batch work can be all over the place (I woke up at 4am for a batch yesterday and it's not uncommon at all to have stuff posting around midnight.) But without a lot of quals and stuff, you'd probably be better off focusing on surveys at the start anyway.

Maybe cyberwasp @cyberwasp would be kind enough to share some tips? He's been posting $50ish days and I think he might even still be on his 10 day probation (though, it's not his first time turking). If anything, I think he's an example of what's possible with absolutely no quals.
chrisd6 @chrisd6

I have indeed just started over and finished my 10 day probation period again. And yes i was pulling off some decent days during probation, my first time doing it i was only making a few bucks a day. This is very much a "you get out of it what you put in" type of job. I went a few months without even using scripts at first, because all that scared me at first because i had no idea what i was doing. But slowly i added one script, figured out how it worked, added another...was like ewww...and then removed it and added another that worked better with the first script, its very much a learning experience. To make this job profitable i very much no-life it. I try to go get some exercise once a day but other than that, i'm working from the time i get up until the time i go to bed. On weekends i go see friends and cut myself some slack, but i still work a good bit on weekends too. If your determined to make a decent wage here you can, in my opinion. Sadly there's not someone that is just going to tell you the secret of things and make it immediately good for you, its just part of the process, if you put in the time and try to figure out the scripts that scare you at first, you'll make it.

Last edited:

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: Questionnaire: Read sentences and rate how convincing they are | Accept
Requester: research via internet [A1N9CHL0OL4Q1Y] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$9.90] [Pay=Fair] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.43] [Fast=4.75] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=7] [ToS=0]
Reward: 0.80
Duration: 2:00:00
Available: 0
Description: Are you interested in participating in a study about language? Your task would be to read sentences and rate how convincing they are. Participation takes about 5-10 min

chrisd6

Reaction score
chrisd6 @chrisd6

I have indeed just started over and finished my 10 day probation period again. And yes i was pulling off some decent days during probation, my first time doing it i was only making a few bucks a day. This is very much a "you get out of it what you put in" type of job. I went a few months without even using scripts at first, because all that scared me at first because i had no idea what i was doing. But slowly i added one script, figured out how it worked, added another...was like ewww...and then removed it and added another that worked better with the first script, its very much a learning experience. To make this job profitable i very much no-life it. I try to go get some exercise once a day but other than that, i'm working from the time i get up until the time i go to bed. On weekends i go see friends and cut myself some slack, but i still work a good bit on weekends too. If your determined to make a decent wage here you can, in my opinion. Sadly there's not someone that is just going to tell you the secret of things and make it immediately good for you, its just part of the process, if you put in the time and try to figure out the scripts that scare you at first, you'll make it.

Haha, thanks for this! I use a hit scraper and a catcher, but beyond that if there's anything I really should be using... I'm totally unaware of it! How does the burnout feel for you more or less no lifing this from the time you get up and when you go to bed? I work a 9-5 job and do mturk/watch sports at night and it hasn't been bad, but do you feel some sort of your sanity slipping away working this all day every day?

• Haha

chrisd6

Reaction score
I would definitely set the minimum pay to like $0. Many qual HITs don't pay anything and there are some decent batches to be found in the 2c-4c range.
I think I may just do this! I hadn't ever realized people pout out unpaid qual HITs... makes me wonder what I've been missing out on

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: [Qualification HIT] Interactive Tutorial for Labeling Industrial Smoke Emissions (201911082234) | Accept
Requester: Talking To The Crowd [AT1767HLJTZSK] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$7.63] [Pay=Low] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.41] [Fast=4.74] [Comm=3.25] [Fair=4.89] [Reviews=53] [ToS=0]
Reward: 1.50
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: This tutorial provides guidelines about how to recognize industrial smoke emissions. This tutorial is the qualification of a follow-up task of labeling smoke emissions.

cyberwasp

Pikachu is my spirit animal
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for this! I use a hit scraper and a catcher, but beyond that if there's anything I really should be using... I'm totally unaware of it! How does the burnout feel for you more or less no lifing this from the time you get up and when you go to bed? I work a 9-5 job and do mturk/watch sports at night and it hasn't been bad, but do you feel some sort of your sanity slipping away working this all day every day?
So once i got hit forker and panda crazy when i was new that helped me immensely and i still use them. There is other stuff thats newer that people use, but i just like it, they work well with each other.

And my sanity was already gone, i can't lose it again.

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
I never used Swagbucks much, but I've gotten 2 emails this week reminding me that I have enough for a $1 Amazon gift card. Why do they want me to redeem it so badly :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.