09/30 - Farquhar Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emily

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm out for the night hubby is making m Mexican food and packed me a bowl it's time to introduce hi to harry potter

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
I'm like that too... drives my lady crazy. I got really draconian about it for a while and did the whole 100 Thing Challenge. I just bought some new shirts so its probably about time to purge again.
I get super obsessive about it, it really bothers me. My family was/is really materialistic and it always drove me up a wall. I like nice things, yes, but having too many things or many unnecessary things makes me feel like my life is cluttered. The whole "keeping up with the jones" attitude really perturbs me.

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I get super obsessive about it, it really bothers me. My family was/is really materialistic and it always drove me up a wall. I like nice things, yes, but having too many things or many unnecessary things makes me feel like my life is cluttered. The whole "keeping up with the jones" attitude really perturbs me.
:violin:

Reactions: Kerek

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Having a lot of stuff isn't necessarily about keeping up. My sister's house/attic is full of stuff, but she uses most of it, just occasionally. She's good at putting things to use and not getting rid of things then eventually needing them again, which is a problem with what you're describing. Especially if you have a family/kids.

Edit: Also things like buying presents, decorations, etc., months in advance on sale and storing those, and all that kind of "cluttering" but efficient behavior.

Reactions: TQueen and kryss

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
It feels just like yesterday that this forum started. How the hell is it almost October?

Reactions: kryss

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
We travelled around a lot when I was growing up, and for most of my adult life I worked jobs that required me to travel around even more. So I sort of ended up developing this need to be able to carry all of the most important things to me on my back. At the moment, I could fit everything I own into my car (aside from the furniture in the house.) I think I am slowly getting a little more comfortable about having roots and owning "things." The one big problem about living in a small town is there are fewer resource sharing opportunities. Maker spaces and things like that are starting to get really common in larger cities so I didn't need to own a lot of tools... here though... I've had to start collecting tools every time something around the house needs to be fixed or a project I'm working on requires something I don't already have.

Reactions: kryss and Kerek

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
Having a lot of stuff isn't necessarily about keeping up. My sister's house/attic is full of stuff, but she uses most of it, just occasionally. She's good at putting things to use and not getting rid of things then eventually needing them again, which is a problem with what you're describing. Especially if you have a family/kids.
I do agree, it's just something that bothers me a lot for myself, not others. But, in my families case it was always about the keeping up, caring what other people think nonsense.

Reactions: Blue and Kerek

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm at the, "why the hell do you have all this STUFF?" point in my life. I hate all this STUFF.

My car is currently packed with stuff to donate from my linen closet. Just my freaking linens! People (my family) give me stuff all the time and I feel like I have to keep it. But my house is small and we are bursting. (in the closets only...I hide stuff well.)

Oh, and my garage. But I've made progress there. Most of what is still in there is yard stuff and all my holiday decorations. Which I will never part with. I like to decorate for the holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.