09/09 - Shine On Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

alk69

Reaction score
I made a turkey leftovers pot pie yesterday and had extra filling. We're having that with rice n veg. OMG it's good. This from a turkey we'd bought last November and it languished in the back of our freezer forgotten. I thought it would be no good. But we have mad fabulous meals from it. roast x 2 meals, pot pie x 2 meals, and tonight and there's a little more meat left I'll make into a curry.
I used to make at least a dozen pot pies from a left over turkey. Most were frozen. With cream cheese crust. Unbelievable how good that smells baking.... another use for extra filling is on top baked potato. Don't forget the butter.

alk69

Reaction score
Got rid of it just in time to get another in the coming months.:)

I like to cook/eat like that too. Roast something for 1 or 2 meals, then make all kinds of different things with the leftovers. Pies, pastas and curry. That would usually get me through the week.
I used to also do that with "Mexican night". I'd make Spanish rice(not paella) and enchiladas(beef and cheese). Then when I was done putting them together and in the oven, I'd layer all the leftover ingredients and make a Mexi-casserole, which I'd have ready to toss in the oven the next day.:D
Leftover cooking is the only cooking. Leftovers is the point of making a fancy dinner.

turkinusa

Reaction score
still feeling real salty in general today and want to ask this requester (who called the pay discrepancy in her study disclaimer info "an error") if she made any other errors in her study that the IRB should know about

lordy it's time for me to be done for the day. bye peeps

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Leftover cooking is the only cooking. Leftovers is the point of making a fancy dinner.
People who don't cook are always amazed at how a change in presentation/format/carbohydrate can entirely transform a dish into something else. Like, exactly the same ingredients. They just don't see the connection like some people do. People who cook with leftovers look at a roast or a bird and see multiple dishes, not just one meal, to be picked at throughout the week. Some people don't think about the fact that Taco Bell may have 40 things on the menu but, nearly every ingredient they stock can be found in a 7-layer burrito. lol

One of my favourite things is after Thanksgiving, take stuffing(dressing) and add an egg and a splash of milk(cream). Make it into a sort of batter. Add a few whole cranberries. Put it in the waffle iron. When golden, put it on a plate and add turkey and gravy. Super tasty.:)

Daniel

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

The following is a summary of activity for your Mechanical Turk account for the week ending Sep 08, 2018.

Your HIT activity for this week:
- Number of HITs submitted: 286

Approvals and payments that occurred this week:
- Number of HITs approved: 255
- Number of HITs rejected: 0
- Bonus reward earned: $52.99
- HIT reward earned: $109.73
- Total Amount earned this week: $162.72

Daniel

Contributor
Reaction score
8-16 nothing good about that ugh

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
People who don't cook are always amazed at how a change in presentation/format/carbohydrate can entirely transform a dish into something else. Like, exactly the same ingredients. They just don't see the connection like some people do. People who cook with leftovers look at a roast or a bird and see multiple dishes, not just one meal, to be picked at throughout the week. Some people don't think about the fact that Taco Bell may have 40 things on the menu but, nearly every ingredient they stock can be found in a 7-layer burrito. lol

One of my favourite things is after Thanksgiving, take stuffing(dressing) and add an egg and a splash of milk(cream). Make it into a sort of batter. Add a few whole cranberries. Put it in the waffle iron. When golden, put it on a plate and add turkey and gravy. Super tasty.:)
Cooking improvisation is an undervalued, undertaught, underutilized skill for sure.

Reaction score

If I remember I will talk the family into trying your Thanksgiving Waffles.

Do you know if to make chocolate chip oatmeal cookies out of a non oatmeal recipe if I just replace part of the flour with oatmeal, or I add oatmeal without replacing anything. does it even matter? :kitteh:

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Cooking improvisation is an undervalued, undertaught, underutilized skill for sure.
It's true. One of the most common questions I hear when teaching someone younger to cook is, "Can you do that?" Like, can you just crumble up leftover hamburgers for chili, or can you use farfalle instead of penne, can I cook cubed bread instead of buying croutons, etc. They don't think about ingredients as their own thing that can be used for all kinds of purposes. Rather, they see ingredients as just that, part of a whole. It's mostly due to "convenience" packaging and pre-made this or that, I think.

Reaction score
its the first week. its usually anyones guess whos gonna be good. im not sweating it
... I didn't go back to check but I'm guessing we're talking about the football stuff I see you guys talk about.

So in 7th grade my history teacher made all of us fill out a championship bracket for fun on who would win the superbowl. and I just kinda went through it semi randomly or going like... 'lets see, jets or hawks? I bet jets are faster than hawks'

He came up to me about six weeks later and was like "so, how did you pick the teams? you're the only one still in this, how did you know? you haven't gotten one wrong so far." Like I was gonna share the secrets of the universe with him. I think I almost got to the superbowl, but I have no idea really.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
If I remember I will talk the family into trying your Thanksgiving Waffles.

Do you know if to make chocolate chip oatmeal cookies out of a non oatmeal recipe if I just replace part of the flour with oatmeal, or I add oatmeal without replacing anything. does it even matter? :kitteh:
I would look up an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and replace the raisins. Or, you could replace a portion(maybe a third) of the flour for oats, in your regular cookie recipe. You'll still get that oat flavour but, the safety of your standard choc chip cookie recipe.

EDIT yes, it matters. If you replace it all, the gluten and moisture content would be way off. I think if you replaced all of the flour, it would make a thin batter/dough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.