08/28 - Tart Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
What sucks is, there are a lot of people who probably don't even realize that it is against Amazon's TOS, those are the people I feel sorry for.
Eh, I think it's mostly just people looking for the quickest and easiest method to make money. They were done in by greed.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Jaded @Jaded is the plague. Without her and her forums (along with other people), I would have quit turking ages ago. What a life that would have been...
Ikr. Remember that place we used to go? What did they call it? Outside! Yeah! It had all those other turker... I mean, people moving about it. Man, that place was big! Could you imagine drawing a bounding box around that thing?!:p

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Right, and I understand that completely. I'm just viewing it from Amazon's side. Anyone using MTurk has the ToS readily accessible to them, and I think that's what they're going to tell anyone who contacts them about their suspension. Like it or not.. Amazon decided captchas are the best way to prevent bots from doing HITs or whatever.. trying to force past that is only going to hurt you.
It doesn't even matter really, they already give masters to bad workers, so its not like whether you doing captchas or not proves you're doing good work.

Last edited:

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Right, and I understand that completely. I'm just viewing it from Amazon's side. Anyone using MTurk has the ToS readily accessible to them, and I think that's what they're going to tell anyone who contacts them about their suspension. Like it or not.. Amazon decided captchas are the best way to prevent bots from doing HITs or whatever.. trying to force past that is only going to hurt you.
the only time a captcha used to bother me, back when they were regular, was when they prevented a hitcatcher/pandacrazy type program from grabbing something.

other than getting captcha'd on pandacrazy, it was never really a problem

ecko

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, Amazon is doing exactly what we all know they will do in these situations. Personally I think the developer had an obligation to do at least a little research to make sure what he is putting out into the world functions properly, and violating the TOS of the site it was made for is definitely a malfunction. I know he fixed it but it should have never been there in the first place.

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
IDK I kind of feel like Amazon is partly responsible for creating an environment where this kind of thing would even seem necessary. We shouldn't have to use scripts and such just to make a decent living off of it.
I'm with you :) Amazon has had over a decade to do something like that though.. I think we're pretty much stuck dealing with this shit at this point. MTurk could be so much more if someone competent was behind the wheel.

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Like, baseball bans steroids. But if they didn't, then everyone would be using steroids. And the sport would be ten times more interesting to watch.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
IDK I kind of feel like Amazon is partly responsible for creating an environment where this kind of thing would even seem necessary. We shouldn't have to use scripts and such just to make a decent living off of it.
They don't make money from workers. They couldn't care less how much we make from it.

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Like, baseball bans steroids. But if they didn't, then everyone would be using steroids. And the sport would be ten times more interesting to watch.
We need to focus on making safe steroids and then pumping everyone up with them.
We can have the 80s back damnit. We just have to try.

scrmcasey @scrmcasey

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Someone asked me at work what I would say if I got to meet Jeff Bezos. My immediate response was "Jeff, can I have a million dollars?"
Mine would be, "Mr. Bezos, I just found out that I'm your son."

Reactions: JDWFM
Status
Not open for further replies.