Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Coding really made me want to cry yesterday.....proceed with caution.
The friend I mentioned said don't do coding it's terrible, and just do billing :ROFL: But I kind of took that as a challenge

ThatsNotMyName

Is it Nap time yet?
Contributor
Reaction score
I work (on leave right now) in the medical field.. I do billing, insurance and input. I would just say to anyone who is looking to get into that, being accurate is SO important. Especially with insurances. I don't mind the field, but one small mistake can make BIG issues.

The friend I mentioned said don't do coding it's terrible, and just do billing :ROFL: But I kind of took that as a challenge
I prefer coding over billing.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
When I was a kid I would fill in paperwork for fun, so it's kind of right up my alley. We have a family friend who does it and she offered to help me get started so it seems like a good thing to ramp up for when my daughter is in preschool (or a little before if I find something good).

She just got a part time salary WFH job (as a 2nd job since her original office was part time as well). I'd like to get something that's fully WFH but I don't think I'd mind escaping the house for a little bit while I learn the ropes.
Have you considered trying out something with less of a commitment, like starting-up with an offce staffing agency? Like OfficeTeam/Robert Half Int'l?

I used to make pretty decent money working via a staffing company during summers between academic years in college. At first, it was a little intimidating to walk into a random workplace and just be expected to get-up-to-speed... But after my first few assignments it got a lot easier. Most of the time the jobs were shuffling papers or populating a database. Occasionally, I'd be answering phones. I'm a pretty outgoing person and speak clearly so the staffing agency liked to try to get me answering phones, which I didn't really enjoy, but I easily could have declined those temp jobs if I really wanted to.

Over the years, I frequently got asked to return to previous workplaces where I had done good work temping, so if it was a place I liked then I'd agree, but if I didn't like the place then I would turn down the contract.

Eventually, I ended up with a 2-day temp job, that got extended to 6-weeks, and ended up going on for over 8 months. It ultimately ended up being a pretty good gig coordinating expat financial services on behalf of a large finance company. Ultimately, they offered me a permanent position (benefits, PTO, retirement etc) after about 1 year. I eventually left that company to return to school, and while I'm happy with that decision, I probably could have had a full career working with that one company... and it was all from a 2-day temp gig.

KellieS23

Anyone else feel like a Rainbow?
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Figuring Out Results from Clinical Experiments | Accept
Requester: Airom Bleicher [A215LCMFUNRKYK] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$17.44] [Pay=5.00] [Fast=null] [Comm=5.00] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.00] [Fast=3.93] [Comm=2.34] [Fair=3.89] [Reviews=117] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=19.42] [Pen=null] [Res=null] [Rec=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 6.00
Duration: 2400
Available: 1
Description: You will be asked to examine the results of a clinical experiment and answer some questions based on the data presented.
Qualifications: Masters Exists ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 98; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: Starslip

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Have you considered trying out something with less of a commitment, like starting-up with an offce staffing agency? Like OfficeTeam/Robert Half Int'l?

I used to make pretty decent money working via a staffing company during summers between academic years in college. At first, it was a little intimidating to walk into a random workplace and just be expected to get-up-to-speed... But after my first few assignments it got a lot easier. Most of the time the jobs were shuffling papers or populating a database. Occasionally, I'd be answering phones. I'm a pretty outgoing person and speak clearly so the staffing agency liked to try to get me answering phones, which I didn't really enjoy, but I easily could have declined those temp jobs if I really wanted to.

Over the years, I frequently got asked to return to previous workplaces where I had done good work temping, so if it was a place I liked then I'd agree, but if I didn't like the place then I would turn down the contract.

Eventually, I ended up with a 2-day temp job, that got extended to 6-weeks, and ended up going on for over 8 months. It ultimately ended up being a pretty good gig coordinating expat financial services on behalf of a large finance company. Ultimately, they offered me a permanent position (benefits, PTO, retirement etc) after about 1 year. I eventually left that company to return to school, and while I'm happy with that decision, I probably could have had a full career working with that one company... and it was all from a 2-day temp gig.
I always thought that staffing agencies were undesirable until I worked at a bank and saw that so many of the employees were actually "temps" and were treated as well, if not better, than the full-time staff. A lot of them were people in-between longer career moves (waiting for husband's contracts to expire, young children at home, etc) but everyone was very professional and there wasn't a lot of turnaround. I think it should be a better advertised option. I think misconceptions get in the way and so many people feel "trapped" on unemployment when they might not realize they could take an interim temp offer that leads to a permanent position.

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
When I was a kid I would fill in paperwork for fun, so it's kind of right up my alley. We have a family friend who does it and she offered to help me get started so it seems like a good thing to ramp up for when my daughter is in preschool (or a little before if I find something good).

She just got a part time salary WFH job (as a 2nd job since her original office was part time as well). I'd like to get something that's fully WFH but I don't think I'd mind escaping the house for a little bit while I learn the ropes.
I say might as well since you have a family friend already offering to help and the timing is decent. I couldn't do the coding since I didn't have the credentials for it while working there, but one of my coworkers talked to me about it and showed me stuff while work was slow sometimes. There's definitely pros and cons to coding from looking in on the outside. The biggest plus I saw (while working there) was the ability to work remotely. But now that I've worked remotely for so long doing mTurk I kind of miss the office life lol. We had one coder in house (who liked working at the physical office) and a remote coder. Coders can work in a variety of different places though... Offices, hospitals, remote, etc

Last edited:

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

I haven't... maybe when the kids are older/self sufficient (lol). It does sound pretty flexible and it might be nice to just do some short 'gig' jobs since it's really low stakes.

I'm interested in this idea because I have someone really experienced to help me out (she's giving me her course materials so I can read/learn over the next few months and decide if it's for me), and I can take the skills with me anywhere we decide to move.

I thought about going back to ServiceNow work, which pays really well (I was making 65k doing that, and was underpaid for the market since I started off as a contractor) but ... I just didn't like it that much. I really only want to work part time and anything medical-related seems like it will continue to be in-demand.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I always thought that staffing agencies were undesirable until I worked at a bank and saw that so many of the employees were actually "temps" and were treated as well, if not better, than the full-time staff. A lot of them were people in-between longer career moves (waiting for husband's contracts to expire, young children at home, etc) but everyone was very professional and there wasn't a lot of turnaround. I think it should be a better advertised option. I think misconceptions get in the way and so many people feel "trapped" on unemployment when they might not realize they could take an interim temp offer that leads to a permanent position.
A lot of hospitals are moving towards a model where many on the nursing staff (actual R.N.s) in the less-specialized specialties, such as Emergency and Med/Surg, are "temps" hired via a staffing agency.

This allows them to maintain a more flexible workforce which they can scale-up and scale-down the number of nurses reporting. Also, it allows them an extended trial-period throughout which they can make a decision as to whether or not they want to hire that person.

A lot of finance and accounting companies do the same as there are annual fluctuations in the volume of work that they need to complete, so it makes more financial sense to hire temps for short-term contracts to help with busy seasons.

coffee.cup

ALL YOUR SURVEY ARE BELONG TO ME!
Reaction score
Talk about positive vibes on a Monday:

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Holly for work related to 37PGLWGSJT6HDW964N135RC612GKIE.
The value of your bonus is: $3.00 USD

The Requester included this note:
Hi – Thank you so much for completing our academic survey. Your responses are very helpful and appreciated. This bonus payment reflects the additional payment you earned. Thanks again! Holly and Christine

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk

Status
Not open for further replies.