08/18 - The Throttlers Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbleturker

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Been dealing with my OCD for a long time. It really is pretty mild compared to a lot of people's, but mine is based on gory images. I have to avoid them at all costs. I also have something like a photographic memory, so literally every horrible thing (real) I've ever seen gets stuck in my head and plays in a slideshow of horror when something triggers me. Thankfully, I can mostly deal with it. My only obsession is counting syllables. Could be way, way worse.
I'm glad it sounds like you have it mostly under control. Obviously, some days are better and some days are worse, it's all about keeping a level head and focusing on positives even if they're hard to find. I understand the gory images. My OCD is kind of related in the sense that I have unwanted repeating thoughts from time to time but I largely have learned to accept them now. Takes the power away from them.

Can you explain this to me, please? Because I don't get it. I see these things all over the place now, and I seriously just do not know what the point is. All I know is that the sounds coming out of them are often like the most infuriating sounds ever, to me.
Sure. It sounds like any whispering or softly speaking videos are not your thing. ASMR is, as a gross term, a "braingasm." You ever get a tingling sensation going all the way down your spine when someone brushes your hair or ruffles paper or moves their hands around in a slow fashion, such as sign language? Other examples could be tapping on certain textures, playing with water, or running hands through sand or something along those lines. There are many more. These videos serve a purpose of relaxing the individual watching them, whether that'd be because of a hard day's work or a stressful night, whatever the cause may be. It's meant to relax the mind and help calm everything down.

This one could be pleasing to you. Give it a shot. There is no talking.

Hotlamp

Thats Not Me
Reaction score
It's supposed to, with headphones, make you feel like you're in the same room as the noises you're experiencing. Like your mind can almost be tricked into thinking that whatever you're listening to is taking place right next to you. Some of them mimic noises so that it actually stimulates your skin into feeling like it's touched and stuff like that. It's all about trying to destress and relax people. It works for some, but not others.
I listen to stuff like this for destressing/relaxation: https://play.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/5HEiuySFNy9YKjZTvNn6ox

But to each their own. If it works it works.

Reactions: WalkingEmphasis

WalkingEmphasis

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
That's my parents' Minnesota motto. "It could be worse." Sometimes, I want to shout, "It could be fucking better!"

I am glad you are able to have a good attitude about it. I get severe anxiety sometimes and obsessive thoughts. It's a bitch for sure.
Yeah, no, that's not a cool thing to say to someone who's struggling with something. I'm definitely not about invalidating people's experiences. Because, even if it could be worse, that definitely doesn't mean something still doesn't suck for someone.

TurkingMaster

Crowd Master
Banned
Reaction score
I'm glad it sounds like you have it mostly under control. Obviously, some days are better and some days are worse, it's all about keeping a level head and focusing on positives even if they're hard to find. I understand the gory images. My OCD is kind of related in the sense that I have unwanted repeating thoughts from time to time but I largely have learned to accept them now. Takes the power away from them.

Sure. It sounds like any whispering or softly speaking videos are not your thing. ASMR is, as a gross term, a "braingasm." You ever get a tingling sensation going all the way down your spine when someone brushes your hair or ruffles paper or moves their hands around in a slow fashion, such as sign language? Other examples could be tapping on certain textures, playing with water, or running hands through sand or something along those lines. There are many more. These videos serve a purpose of relaxing the individual watching them, whether that'd be because of a hard day's work or a stressful night, whatever the cause may be. It's meant to relax the mind and help calm everything down.

This one could be pleasing to you. Give it a shot. There is no talking.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

humbleturker

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Ardra Neala does it for me, her voice is just...Next level. Plus she makes incredibly creative videos sometimes.
Never heard of her, might have to give a vid a shot.

Reactions: Pleco

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, no, that's not a cool thing to say to someone who's struggling with something. I'm definitely not about invalidating people's experiences. Because, even if it could be worse, that definitely doesn't mean something still doesn't suck for someone.
That's definitely true. I think it's just how they know how to communicate. It's like a Minnesota thing.

Reactions: WalkingEmphasis

WalkingEmphasis

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
That's definitely true. I think it's just how they know how to communicate. It's like a Minnesota thing.
Yeah, definitely. A lot of people say it and don't mean anything by it, which I totally get. It can just be accidentally hurtful.

Reactions: Vanyanka

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanations, everyone. I think I understand. I'm just going to conclude that it's not for me, however. Background noise, 'room sounds', whispering, etc generally make me tense and irritable, which is why those videos have always confused me so much.

humbleturker

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanations, everyone. I think I understand. I'm just going to conclude that it's not for me, however. Background noise, 'room sounds', whispering, etc generally make me tense and irritable, which is why those videos have always confused me so much.
Are there any sounds that relax you more often than not? There probably is an audience for that. :)

Reactions: aveline
Status
Not open for further replies.