07/20 - Facepalm Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
yea, I afraid I'd throw a massive fit about that...
She is a good person but she tends to be a bit self absorbed. She plays in parent forums on facebook constantly. Basically it's a bunch of people who pat each other on the back for being awesome parents while they simultaneously ignore their children who, in the case of my son, can literally be standing on a window sill 4 ft in the air and go unnoticed because mom only looks up from her phone when she has to use the bathroom or eat.

It's only become an issue in the past year and even her friends and family have noticed and tried politely telling her to put the damn phone down.

I just get eye rolls whenever I say anything.

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Um, wtf?

My kids would never let this fly. They ask to eat every 15 minutes.
There were times I didn't bother with it because I knew it would just start another huge fight between my parents. Fuck it, I won't eat tonight.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
She is a good person but she tends to be a bit self absorbed. She plays in parent forums on facebook constantly. Basically it's a bunch of people who pat each other on the back for being awesome parents while they simultaneously ignore their children who, in the case of my son, can literally be standing on a window sill 4 ft in the air and go unnoticed because mom only looks up from her phone when she has to use the bathroom or eat.

It's only become an issue in the past year and even her friends and family have noticed and tried politely telling her to put the damn phone down.

is she a SAHM? sometimes I find myself super absorbed in my phone because I'm bored as shit. Maybe she needs more breaks from the kid(s)? Or could she be depressed?

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
is she a SAHM? sometimes I find myself super absorbed in my phone because I'm bored as shit. Maybe she needs more breaks from the kid(s)? Or could she be depressed?
No. She works out of the home full time and I am the work from home parent.

She has even been busted at work for playing with her phone.

She did warn me when we first started dating that she got rid of the internet in her apartment because her ex had accused her of being on facebook all the time on her laptop and that was why he broke up with her.

So, I guess, it is my fault for enabling her. I will take that. Honestly, I could care less except when I work on a weekend and come home to hear that she didn't feed Archie all day or he has a goose egg on the forehead from diving off the couch. It's why I have only done 5 craft shows in the past year.

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Welp. There goes my mood for the day.

Just confirmed with my wife that she forgot to give our two year old dinner last night. I mowed the lawn after she got home from work and she was too busy dicking with facebook on her phone to remember to feed our son.

not. the. first. time.

her phone may mysteriously end up in the dishwasher soon.

sorry for the non-work rant.
Um, wtf?

My kids would never let this fly. They ask to eat every 15 minutes.
I'm home with my kids all day and we snack whenever we're hungry. I make a "real" dinner for the husband and I, but then he'll say "did you feed the kids?" and I shrug and say "oh yeah, we had yogurt" and I get this look like I'm insane. I just didn't explain that we had a full breakfast, sandwiches at noon, chicken nuggets at 3, fruit at 4, and then yogurt at 6. And then they'll steal whatever we're eating. I'm not starving my kids, we're just wild and unstructured :shrug:

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
No. She works out of the home full time and I am the work from home parent.

She has even been busted at work for playing with her phone.

She did warn me when we first started dating that she got rid of the internet in her apartment because her ex had accused her of being on facebook all the time on her laptop and that was why he broke up with her.

So, I guess, it is my fault for enabling her. I will take that. Honestly, I could care less except when I work on a weekend and come home to hear that she didn't feed Archie all day or he has a goose egg on the forehead from diving off the couch. It's why I have only done 5 craft shows in the past year.
ugh, that sucks. Maybe you could sit down with her and have a serious conversation, tell her it's unacceptable. But to be fair, my kid has dived off the couch while I was playing with him and had a huge knot on his head for a while. So that one doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't paying attention.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm home with my kids all day and we snack whenever we're hungry. I make a "real" dinner for the husband and I, but then he'll say "did you feed the kids?" and I shrug and say "oh yeah, we had yogurt" and I get this look like I'm insane. I just didn't explain that we had a full breakfast, sandwiches at noon, chicken nuggets at 3, fruit at 4, and then yogurt at 6. And then they'll steal whatever we're eating. I'm not starving my kids, we're just wild and unstructured :shrug:
same! kiddo is pretty much constantly snacking on little stuff so he doesn't need a huge complete meal at dinner.

4ourfuture

Contributor
Reaction score

I'm sorry this is a problem in your home and your child has to suffer for it. She may not even realize how much time is passing when she's that enthralled with what's on her phone. She's addicted to it and I hope you'll be able to sit her down and have a real conversation about it. We're all possibly a tad guilty of this, but maybe not to this degree. It doesn't matter what's on any screen it will never be more important than your child right in front of you. She's missing out and so is he. :unsure:

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
ugh, that sucks. Maybe you could sit down with her and have a serious conversation, tell her it's unacceptable. But to be fair, my kid has dived off the couch while I was playing with him and had a huge knot on his head for a while. So that one doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't paying attention.
When he was 4 weeks old she laid him on our bed and started playing on facebook and he rolled off the bed without her noticing until he hit the floor. I was mowing and she called me to tell me. I rushed him to the E.R. and he was okay but it's just a phone induced obliviousness. It's a society issue.

I have been having a productive email conversation with her this morning. I'm not saying anything here that I haven't been saying to her already.

I think she is aware of the issue and we are going to resolve it. She knows I will help her if she is willing to make an effort. She knows it is better than the alternative.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
I'm sorry this is a problem in your home and your child has to suffer for it. She may not even realize how much time is passing when she's that enthralled with what's on her phone. She's addicted to it and I hope you'll be able to sit her down and have a real conversation about it. We're all possibly a tad guilty of this, but maybe not to this degree. It doesn't matter what's on any screen it will never be more important than your child right in front of you. She's missing out and so is he. :unsure:
exactly. It's an addiction. She is anti-social and it is an easy escape for her. Making her aware of it and the fact that it is harming those around her is the biggest battle. We will get there.

TinaBanina

Yarn Hoarder
Contributor
HIT Poster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
No, I get that. I'm saying my kids won't let anyone skip a meal or snack because they are always eating, so it doesn't matter.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
10ish minutes on this review. Pay is crappy but it is at least something to do on a slow Friday morning:

Title: Traveling Survey Review | Accept
Requester: Angela Listy [A1M2H0HAEXONBY] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$8.54] [Pay=2.80] [Fast=4.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.04] [Fast=4.48] [Comm=3.36] [Fair=4.15] [Reviews=290] [ToS=2]
TO2: [Hrly=0.02] [Pen=2.76 days] [Res=0%] [Rec=50%] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Brk=7]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 3600
Available: 1
Description: Please take and review this survey about Traveling
Qualifications: Masters Exists ; Location EqualTo US

Reactions: SherryNotShirley

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Attitude comparisons | Accept
Requester: Diana [A14MVF6YETAP5B] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$7.85] [Pay=2.75] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=1.94] [Fast=4.06] [Comm=2.43] [Fair=3.80] [Reviews=72] [ToS=5]
TO2: [Hrly=6.68] [Pen=null] [Res=null] [Rec=0%] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 0.60
Available: 10
Description: Evaluate the likelihood of others' beliefs
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 98; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Here's an appropriate survey this morning:

Title: Quick survey about how we should treat youth | Accept
Requester: SIIR Lab [A2X802YWOMYRPF] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$9.87] [Pay=2.67] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.20] [Fast=4.80] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=13] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=13.58] [Pen=3.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 0.65
Available: 1
Description: Thinking about how we should treat and view youth? Take this short 3 - 5 minute survey and let us know your opinion!
Qualifications: Masters Exists ; Location EqualTo US

*either I already did it or the survey is borked.

TxTurk

Reaction score
‎Jul‎ ‎20 at ‎4‎:‎16‎ ‎AM
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,
You've received a bonus from Krishna Savani for work related to 3HJ1EVZS2O0W2J5C0NCA88OPLGW3RF.
The value of your bonus is: $4.79 USD
The Requester included this note:
Congratulations! Based on your performance in our task in our HIT, you have earned this bonus amount.
Thank you for participating!
Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!
Sincerely,
Amazon Mechanical Turk
https://www.mturk.com

Status
Not open for further replies.