06/24 - Family Feud Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but that is still an argument/discussion and not current law. What I think we should be paid should be based on what the current minimum wage law is set at. That would not be too much to ask in my opinion.
While Im all in favor of a fair wage, universities would argue they aren't paying a wage, but an incentive to do a survey. They mostly don't have the funding to pay a "fair wage". I wish they did.

Hotlamp

Thats Not Me
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but that is still an argument/discussion and not current law. What I think we should be paid should be based on what the current minimum wage law is set at. That would not be too much to ask in my opinion.
I agree with this. I'm sure they are already cutting costs if they make us do jobs anyway compared to enlisting a company to perform the survey or jobs.

Reactions: PhantomCatt

PhantomCatt

Sweet & Sassy
Reaction score

LightningLord

You think that's a Schwinn.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I mentioned where I'm getting $15 from -- it's a fairly popular argument across the nation that minimum wage should be raised to match average living wages. I understand the argument that this is essentially independent data entry, but I still think there's a difference between filling out a survey about the best app icon design or random wall street predictions versus other legitimate careers and sources of income.
Right now the predict wallstreet pays at a rate of $24/hour. 80 cents for about 2 minutes of work. If researchers want good data, then they should expect to pay decent rewards. Most focus groups and other research on college campuses will pay a person $20 for something that takes an hour. It seems to me that some mturk requesters are taking advantage of the services and the workers.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the minimum wage argument is that when you start regulating a work site like mturk... you come up with all kinds of difficulties. If they regulate us to an hourly wage... whose work rate are they expecting you to uphold? Mine? Kadauchis? How many of you are capable of maintaining that level of focus and efficiency? Judging by the current daily totals... not many. Or... even worse... what if they decide that you get paid by the hour but you don't get to choose what hits you work on anymore, and have to complete so many within a given time period. Once again... they would set the standard by the fastest workers but equalize the pay to that of the slowest. These are just 2 possible questions you aren't asking yourselves.

I'm not against regulating mturk... but if you are going to fight for regulation... you should take some time to think about the rammifications of fighting to have the government take over... a corrupt government that doesn't favor free markets over big business interests.

Devil_Dawg

Marine, Husband, Father, Grand Father
Contributor
Reaction score
Right now the predict wallstreet pays at a rate of $24/hour. 80 cents for about 2 minutes of work. If researchers want good data, then they should expect to pay decent rewards. Most focus groups and other research on college campuses will pay a person $20 for something that takes an hour. It seems to me that some mturk requesters are taking advantage of the services and the workers.
that was before the 4 second thing, now it's no where near that amount

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
Everyone is free to judge what their own time is worth, I just hope it's not encouraging pay under $8 an hour. I'm most likely not going to work for anything under $20 an hour, but that wasn't always the case. We all work at our own pace, are at different stages of turking, and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

seventhaxis

will turk for steak
Contributor
Reaction score
So.....they shouldn't pay?
No. Imagine we have one of those candy dispensers in front of us and you ask me to guess which color has the most in the bowl. While thinking out loud, I answer "I don't think blue has the most" -- that's not me saying "red has the most".

I technically said that I am not a believer that filling out surveys should be paid minimum wage. That doesn't mean I believe the opposite, that surveys should not be paid minimum wage. I just can't assert that a person definitely should not get min. wage for this stuff. The neutral position. Really I did not mean to start this whole conversation/debate though.

LightningLord @LightningLord Nearly every Predict100 I've run into in the past two weeks has required a 4sec CD for each click. That's at least 396 seconds, far more than two mins of work.

Last edited:

Hotlamp

Thats Not Me
Reaction score
Everyone is free to judge what their own time is worth, I just hope it's not encouraging pay under $8 an hour. I'm most likely not going to work for anything under $20 an hour, but that wasn't always the case. We all work at our own pace, are at different stages of turking, and everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
If its a good day I become pickier and hit pretty good pay per hour. If its a bad day I become a savage and just take what I can get.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
No. Imagine we have one of those candy dispensers in front of us and you ask me to guess which color has the most in the bowl. While thinking out loud, I answer "I don't think blue has the most" -- that's not me saying "red has the most".

I technically said that I am not a believer that filling out surveys should be paid minimum wage. That doesn't mean I believe the opposite, that surveys should not be paid minimum wage.
Making a strong opinionated statement without providing any reasoning behind that opinion... and then challenging others to change your mind is a poor way to start a debate.

Reactions: ecko and Babadooba

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
:eek:

I want your turk work ethic! The closest I've come to 20 an hour turking was when Mountains used to post.

or that random $5 hit that takes 15 mins and I'm lucky enough to catch it.

Desk job I won't work for less than that (or a combo of wages and bennies that are that plus some).

Reactions: kryss

Babadooba

Contributor
Reaction score

I technically said that I am not a believer that filling out surveys should be paid minimum wage. That doesn't mean I believe the opposite, that surveys should not be paid minimum wage.

LightningLord @LightningLord Nearly every Predict100 I've run into in the past two weeks has required a 4sec CD for each click. That's at least 396 seconds, far more than two mins of work.

LightningLord

You think that's a Schwinn.
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the minimum wage argument is that when you start regulating a work site like mturk... you come up with all kinds of difficulties. If they regulate us to an hourly wage... whose work rate are they expecting you to uphold? Mine? Kadauchis? How many of you are capable of maintaining that level of focus and efficiency? Judging by the current daily totals... not many. Or... even worse... what if they decide that you get paid by the hour but you don't get to choose what hits you work on anymore, and have to complete so many within a given time period. Once again... they would set the standard by the fastest workers but equalize the pay to that of the slowest. These are just 2 possible questions you aren't asking yourselves.

I'm not against regulating mturk... but if you are going to fight for regulation... you should take some time to think about the rammifications of fighting to have the government take over... a corrupt government that doesn't favor free markets over big business interests.
The researchers should run sample time trials by all their staff and several others that don't know the survey. Take an average time and then pay accordingly. No need for government regulation, we just need to band together as workers and not allow ourselves to be taken advantage of.
that was before the 4 second thing, now it's no where near that amount

I haven't worked on those wallstreets, but the old one (https://www.mturk.com/mturk/previewandaccept?groupId=329HSLC9WDXX9F2DN54ARF87CMFHGG) doesn't require 4 seconds between clicks.

And I should add that I've done the "old" wallstreets just today.

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
:eek:

I want your turk work ethic! The closest I've come to 20 an hour turking was when Mountains used to post.

or that random $5 hit that takes 15 mins and I'm lucky enough to catch it.

Desk job I won't work for less than that (or a combo of wages and bennies that are that plus some).
I also like making excuses to not work. :D

Reactions: tricker
Status
Not open for further replies.