04/29 - Serial Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aturkerhiding

Reaction score
I have a family of 4 with two toddlers, one who will eat anything and the other who tries to be picky. But we basically will eat anything, I just find the struggle I run into is when I try and keep the food budget cheaper it doesn't always seem healthy, but we I go for healthy it doesn't seem cheaper. So I'm trying to find a balance somewhere in the middle.
Just thought of this. https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/ I got some good ideas out of this thread. The idea is that a lot of the food they make is freezable, or that they make a weeks worth of lunches all at once. It should help cut down on the...I didn't have time to cook meals out because everytime you turn around one of the kids needs attention. Or if you are the type to "I'll make lunch before I go to work" then you wake up late, and have to buy lunch.

Rose

Contributor
Reaction score
Just thought of this. https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/ I got some good ideas out of this thread. The idea is that a lot of the food they make is freezable, or that they make a weeks worth of lunches all at once. It should help cut down on the...I didn't have time to cook meals out because everytime you turn around one of the kids needs attention. Or if you are the type to "I'll make lunch before I go to work" then you wake up late, and have to buy lunch.
Thanks! I will have to look at that.

jan

Reaction score
Thanks! I will have to look at that.
I find that using a crockpot really helps. You can buy all of your beans, for instance, and cook them in there (much cheaper when you buy them dried). Also, it's so easy! I put everything together in the morning and we have a meal in the evening. Another tip: when I make quiche or bread - I mix it in the morning and just toss it in the fridge - later in the day I just roll it out (it has risen during the day) and make whatever (including pizza :)

Last edited:

Kat8mouse

Kat Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: A survey on financial decision making(~ 20 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Lisa Kramer [A1RK5LQXYVE2SD] (Contact)
(TO): [Pay: 2.83] [Fair: 4.27] [Comm: 1.00] [Fast: 4.27]
Description:
Answer a survey about financial decision making and receive a 1 in 100 chance to earn an additional bonus of up to $15 depending on your choices in the survey.
Time: 60 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.35
Qualifications: Location is one of: US;

Reactions: C to the J

Rose

Contributor
Reaction score
I find that using a crockpot really helps. You can buy all of your beans, for instance, and cook them in there (much cheaper when you buy them dried). Also, it's so easy! I put everything together in the morning and we have a meal in the evening. Another tip: when I make quiche or bread - I mix it in the morning and just toss it in the fridge - later in the day I just roll it out (it has risen during the day) and make whatever (including pizza :)
For some reason I've never had success trying to use dried beans, but maybe I'll have to be brave and try again.

Reactions: Kerek

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

teal4life

Why I Turk
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a family of 4 with two toddlers, one who will eat anything and the other who tries to be picky. But we basically will eat anything, I just find the struggle I run into is when I try and keep the food budget cheaper it doesn't always seem healthy, but we I go for healthy it doesn't seem cheaper. So I'm trying to find a balance somewhere in the middle.
Good Morning. A favorite for us is what I call Baked Chimis. Take a flour tortilla, and then I make pizza ones, or breakfast ones or any fillings you want. Burrito fold and put on a baking sheet and spray with Pam butter flavor. Bake until brown, flip and spray again and then bake until brown. Then I freeze them. We pull them out when hungry and just microwave them. Quick and the only limit is your imagination. Even good for vegetarians or others on different types of likes and dislikes.

Rose

Contributor
Reaction score
Good Morning. A favorite for us is what I call Baked Chimis. Take a flour tortilla, and then I make pizza ones, or breakfast ones or any fillings you want. Burrito fold and put on a baking sheet and spray with Pam butter flavor. Bake until brown, flip and spray again and then bake until brown. Then I freeze them. We pull them out when hungry and just microwave them. Quick and the only limit is your imagination. Even good for vegetarians or others on different types of likes and dislikes.
That sounds like a good idea. I will try that

aturkerhiding

Reaction score
For some reason I've never had success trying to use dried beans, but maybe I'll have to be brave and try again.
Try soaking them overnight, and then just keep an eye on them while they cook. If you cook them too long they turn to mush.

TheresaofAlbion

Working for noms
Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone help me parse a link from this? I already emailed and I tried to figure it out myself, but I just can't. http://imgur.com/a/IGiXZ I prob didn't do that right (sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.