• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
I got summoned for jury duty (april 2) and I learned that my current job will pay me the full day if I go

usually I get out by saying it's a financial burden.. but I guess this time it's not.

I plan on showing up looking like the kid in my profile pic - without the pizza of course

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
I got summoned for jury duty (april 2) and I learned that my current job will pay me the full day if I go

usually I get out by saying it's a financial burden.. but I guess this time it's not.
I mean, you could still say that, and spend the rest of the day :bode:

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I plan on showing up looking like the kid in my profile pic - without the pizza of course
Considering what my job is right now..doing this..I don't think they're gonna care if I use that excuse.

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, you could still say that, and spend the rest of the day :bode:
they send a pre-summons, and on that I am able to claim any reason I may not attend.
I didn't yet realize that I would get paid from work anyway, so I already said it'd be a financial burden
they mailed back and said they need a company letterhead stating that I will not be paid - which is how I found out that I am paid
it's only one day or one case, though, even though this is the first time in my current home town (6 years living here) so I guess as long as I'm not being put into a ridiculously long complicated case I'll be fine.

and considering any big cases around here are sent to Philly, I doubt that'll happen to me anyway

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Considering what my job is right now..doing this..I don't think they're gonna care if I use that excuse.
you don't have to state what you do, only that by being present, you'll be missing a lot of work
they don't usually want jurors who care little about the case, and are resentful for being there - they want someone who they think will put all their effort into the case, or at least have a reason to do so.
someone who is upset about missing work/money may attempt to rush the case so that it'll be over and they'll be free

just be honest that missing out on work is a tremendous burden on you. you're probably going to be there the entire day regardless - you have to sit one case, or one day, whichever is shorter. getting dismissed early is possible, but counting on getting dismissed early may lead to disappointment

MagicalStreams

I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Reaction score
I lived in a ridiculously small town in Kansas, about 1200 people, they convened a Grand Jury once and I went cause I was summoned, and when I got there, they told us, there were no cases after all, and gave us all $12 for our trouble.

cassius

Reaction score
Or if you're running low on time to find one of those, maybe wear a shirt that says "Hitler was my Homeboi"
I guess you all are being silly but don't get carried away. If you wear something like that the thought police might get you.:android:

cassius

Reaction score
I lived in a ridiculously small town in Kansas, about 1200 people, they convened a Grand Jury once and I went cause I was summoned, and when I got there, they told us, there were no cases after all, and gave us all $12 for our trouble.
x got out of it once when he went and got on a case where he recognized the attorney for defense. They kept eyeing each other and x thought and hoped the attorney recognized him to so he didn't have to explain why he couldn't be on this jury. x worked for that unmentionable alphabet and had had at one time this particular attorney in a delinquent case. He got dismissed and quickly.

MagicalStreams

I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Reaction score
x got out of it once when he went and got on a case where he recognized the attorney for defense. They kept eyeing each other and x thought and hoped the attorney recognized him to so he didn't have to explain why he couldn't be on this jury. x worked for that unmentionable alphabet and had had at one time this particular attorney in a delinquent case. He got dismissed and quickly.
Shoot in that small arse Kansas town everyone knew EVERY ONE, so there was no way someone could have a trial or jury in that town without knowing everyone.

Reactions: cassius

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I was stressed out early this morning so, I went for a walk. Got stopped by the police directly across the street from my house. Was forced to show ID regardless of being suspected of a crime, unless I wanted to go to the police station. I didn't. Then, I got half a mile from my house, got stopped again. Different cop. Just wanted to make sure I was 'okay'. Same bullshit. I said, "Have I done something wrong officer?"
He says no.
So, I said, "I'm fine." Then continued on my walk. I get another 300yds, and cross the street due to snow banks and no sidewalk. Same cop stops me again. "What have I done now?!!!"

"Well, now you're moving with the flow of traffic."

"SO?!!!! Is that illegal?!!!! This is the third time I'm being stopped, without being suspected of a crime, and it's cold outside. I don't feel like standing on the side of the road, talking to cops, in my own neighbourhood, when I've done nothing wrong!!!! Do you want me on that side of the street? Will that make you happy? Fine. Whatever!"

So, I proceed to walk, on his preferred side of the street, while being circled by these 2 cops. I see them every 2 minutes. They slow down. They pull in to driveways. They make U-turns, then one comes down my side of the road towards me, at about 60mph(30mph zone) with no lights or sirens, and comes within a foot of hitting me! Doesn't move over or anything! I finally gave up, fearing that this could get out of hand, and I could get hurt. So I turn around to walk home. About 50yds up the road, I see both cops parked in two traffic lanes, headlights facing me. I start getting a bit nervous because they are in the type of position you would take if you were going to kick the door open and fire from behind it. I get more nervous but give up. They are between me and my house. So, I keep walking. I have to shield my eyes because it's still dark and their lights are blinding. I get to them, heart pounding, and continue to walk past them. The eyeball me, waiting for me to snap, so they can show me how not to resist.

I don't do anything, which angers them more. They both fly off in different directions to circle around.(rural area so, it takes a minute) Then I decide that I'm not going to be scared into my fucking house, like a chump. So, I start walking in an odd direction, away from my house, and in the opposite direction from the police. They keep driving by. I keep changing direction. This went on for a half hour before I started just standing still and watching them drive by every time. I finally don't see them for 30 minutes so, I decide to walk home.

So much for a calming walk. Asshole, profiling, dicks.

Venting over.

EDIT Cops are bullies.

Last edited:

cassius

Reaction score
I was stressed out early this morning so, I went for a walk. Got stopped by the police directly across the street from my house. Was forced to show ID regardless of being suspected of a crime, unless I wanted to go to the police station. I didn't. Then, I got half a mile from my house, got stopped again. Different cop. Just wanted to make sure I was 'okay'. Same bullshit. I said, "Have I done something wrong officer?"
He says no.
So, I said, "I'm fine." Then continued on my walk. I get another 300yds, and cross the street due to snow banks and no sidewalk. Same cop stops me again. "What have I done now?!!!"

"SO?!!!! Is that illegal?!!!! This is the third time I'm being stopped, without being suspected of a crime, and it's cold outside. I don't feel like standing on the side of the road, talking to cops, in my own neighbourhood, when I've done nothing wrong!!!! Do you want me on that side of the street? Will that make you happy? Fine. Whatever!"

So, I proceed to walk, on his preferred side of the street, while being circled by these 2 cops. I see them every 2 minutes. They slow down. They pull in to driveways. They make U-turns, then one comes down my side of the road towards me, at about 60mph(30mph zone) with no lights or sirens, and comes within a foot of hitting me! Doesn't move over or anything! I finally gave up, fearing that this could get out of hand, and I could get hurt. So I turn around to walk home. About 50yds up the road, I see both cops parked in two traffic lanes, headlights facing me. I start getting a bit nervous because they are in the type of position you would take if you were going to kick the door open and fire from behind it. I get more nervous but give up. They are between me and my house. So, I keep walking. I have to shield my eyes because it's still dark and their lights are blinding. I get to them, heart pounding, and continue to walk past them. The eyeball me, waiting for me to snap, so they can show me how not to resist.

I don't do anything, which angers them more. They both fly off in different directions to circle around.(rural area so, it takes a minute) Then I decide that I'm not going to be scared into my fucking house, like a chump. So, I start walking in an odd direction, away from my house, and in the opposite direction from the police. They keep driving by. I keep changing direction. This went on for a half hour before I started just standing still and watching them drive by every time. I finally don't see them for 30 minutes so, I decide to walk home.

Venting over.

EDIT Cops are bullies.
Go Pro

Reactions: themildone

cassius

Reaction score
Shoot in that small arse Kansas town everyone knew EVERY ONE, so there was no way someone could have a trial or jury in that town without knowing everyone.
Knowing is probably okay. It's what the x new the attorney for that it became a conflict of interest.

I used to get called for back injury claims. Once I told them to just let me see the person walk to the stand and I'll them if they are faking it or not. Because I worked in physical therapy and I have my own back injury. I know what the pain looks and feels like. They sent me home.

Reactions: savvy

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
He says no.

Venting over.

EDIT Cops are bullies.
I used to be on a 3rd shift schedule when I was married to my ex. I would routinely walk around my little farm town every night aroun 3:00am. It was my 'lunch break' from turking. Only ever had a county cop stop me once and be a total dick to me but it was enough. I recorded the audio from the conversation on my phone while it was in my pocket. I was polite, but the next morning I called the state police to report it and the officer was investigated for it and I never saw him patrolling my town again. The local cops loved it. Three times in 5 years I actually called them to report shit going down.

However, it's a bit different today. Our entire country is bat shit paranoid and on the verge of all out civil war thanks to politically charged asshats with an agenda.

Just keep cool and don't let them crack you. It's exactly what they want. Just know you're pissing them off by not falling for their shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.