The Madness
Contributor
Reaction score
so i have sort of a weird question to ask, I did this survey yesterday:

ndrea Amelio
Title
30 min study: 5$ base pay + up to 3$ bonus
Description
In this study you will be asked to guess some probability and make related assessments. Base pay is 5$: 0.5$ for participation and 4.5$ for completion. You have the chance to earn an additional 3$, based on your performance. Hence, you can earn up to 8$.

and when completing it and at the end of the study there was an option to retake the survey over from the beginning to get the base pay plus bonus ( i figured i missed something and it was telling me to get paid i need to re take it)

So I click the button to restart it and complete it again and it once again asks me if i want to click the button to restart the survey, this time I just entered the code it gave me. Within a few hours i received two sets of the same bonus from this requester . 2x 4.50 bonus payments. and 2x 1.50 bonus payments... I did not try and accept the hit again today but with the mts bug i have of it keep adding hits i didnt add. popped up in my catcher, It states on the rules that i cannot take it more then once. but considering i got paid for it twice yesterday with only submitting once im wondering if i can just do this again but not submit so i can get the bonus pay? i do not feel its morally right to do. BUT ......money.......lmao
:eyeroll:

Reactions: Skittles

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Survey about personal decision making(~ 15 minutes)Accept
Requester: Marina [A1M0HDW69VIOM2] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$14.41][Pay=Good][Approval=1-3 days][Comm=Unrated][Rej=1][Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=0.00][Fast=3.00][Comm=3.00][Fair=3.00][Reviews=2][ToS=0]
Reward: $1.50
Duration: 00:50:00
Available: 1
Description: The task should take an estimated 15 minutes with a payment of $1.50 USD + bonus. This is a task helping us understand decision making.
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; SurveyGroup [4697] DoesNotExist ; Exc: [1830157322-269906] DoesNotExist ; CR Research Group #2 DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; CR Research Group #1 GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Location In US

MirrorMan

The Madness
Contributor
Reaction score
hey not my fault i got paid twice. and not my fault mts keeps accepting hits i never add. so yeah eyes rolled
No, it's not, but if you know the requester only wants you to do it once and you try to scam them out of bonus payments after you find out about it, then it is.

I catch HITs I have done before all of the time and if they state that they only want it done once, I throw it back or let it expire. Simple. I don't just do it because I caught it and "oh well, the requester should have known better LOL" These requesters are often times new to this platform and do not know how to screen or qual people out of tasks. They are trying to do research that could be ruined by people responding to it multiple times. If you want to do scam a requester and possibly ruing their research that's up to you, I guess, but don't come on to a forum and basically announce that you are going to do it. Believe it or not, requesters check forums like this more often than you think. If they see people posting "Hey, do you think it's alright if I scam this dude because he accidentally paid me twice?" They probably aren't going to be too excited about putting their research up on this platform.

So yeah, eyes rolled.

KatieinPGH

*Wants Masters*
Reaction score
So i'm seeing bad reviews, some recent, on this one

Title: Demographics surveyAccept
Requester: Panos Ipeirotis [A3DL93QTPE513P] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$22.38][Pay=Generous][Approval=~24 hrs][Comm=Unrated][Rej=0][Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.50][Fast=4.77][Comm=5.00][Fair=5.00][Reviews=70][ToS=1]
Reward: $0.10
Duration: 01:00:00
Available: 1
Description: Demographics survey
Qualifications: None

if anyone on this forum is giving this particular hit a bad review because you can only do it once per month, stop doing that. it is hit that belongs to a years long study of CrowdSource work and, yes, it can only be done once per month. not everything on AMT is something you can do every day or multiple times per day.
I've been noticing more completely unnecessary bad reviews for HIT's than ever before. Just like this one, I mean come on... not every HIT is made just for you and to do as often as you want. I'm reading reviews of people ticked there was a captcha or attention check. Mad that they were screened out when the HIT didn't have a screener but an attention check that was super clear.

I get it, lots of stress and anxiety going on. I got my first rejection in over a year last month (bring my total to 10 in almost 4 years) and I *know* I didn't deserve it. That warrants a bad review. Leaving an "*insult* only pays $15/hr and expects me to type? Eff that" (saw that one this morning, which is like really? Minimum wage here is still $7.25 and I type fast, gimme the HIT). 🙄

Last edited:

charlie

Reaction score
I've been noticing more completely unnecessary bad reviews for HIT's than ever before. Just like this one, I mean come on... not every HIT is made just for you and to do as often as you want. I'm reading reviews of people ticked there was a captcha or attention check. Mad that they were screened out when the HIT didn't have a screener but an attention check that was super clear.

I get it, lots of stress and anxiety going on. I got my first rejection in over a year last month and I *know* I didn't deserve it. That warrants a bad review. Leaving an "*insult* only pays $15/hr and expects me to type? Eff that" (saw that one this morning, which is like really? Minimum wage here is still $7.25 and I type fast, gimme the HIT). 🙄
exactly. i get it too. i mean i can remember being stressed out years ago when i first discovered mturk and long before i knew this forum and others existed to help but even then i knew the risks (first come first serve) and not everyone could do everything.

Reactions: KatieinPGH

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: What would you do?(~ 10 minutes)Accept
Requester: Darden Behavioral Lab [A1Z3WDC2OU0760] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$19.06][Pay=Generous][Approval=~24 hrs][Comm=Unrated][Rej=1][Blk=0]
TO: No reviews
Reward: $1.00
Duration: 01:00:00
Available: 18
Description: 1 USD for 10 minutes or less
Qualifications: TP Panel: 1989414341 N GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; 1a0d9d0a DoesNotExist ; Exc: [270556-269967] DoesNotExist ; CR Research Group #1 GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Location In US

freekshow420

Reaction score
No, it's not, but if you know the requester only wants you to do it once and you try to scam them out of bonus payments after you find out about it, then it is.

I catch HITs I have done before all of the time and if they state that they only want it done once, I throw it back or let it expire. Simple. I don't just do it because I caught it and "oh well, the requester should have known better LOL" These requesters are often times new to this platform and do not know how to screen or qual people out of tasks. They are trying to do research that could be ruined by people responding to it multiple times. If you want to do scam a requester and possibly ruing their research that's up to you, I guess, but don't come on to a forum and basically announce that you are going to do it. Believe it or not, requesters check forums like this more often than you think. If they see people posting "Hey, do you think it's alright if I scam this dude because he accidentally paid me twice?" They probably aren't going to be too excited about putting their research up on this platform.

So yeah, eyes rolled.
your getting too worked up over this considering i only asked if i can do it again. yes it states in the rules you can only submit once. My question was only brought up because of getting paid twice during my initial go thru yesterday. Nothing was exploited and being that i got the hit accepted when i did not even attempt to catch it today with it allowing me to work thru it made me ask the question. For me hits that i have done before pop up with a message stating that i have already done it before and this one did not. I even stated that it is morally wrong but its money. and you can have your opinion on what i should do in this situation but so do I.. Im also well aware that requesters check this forum and i have brought a lot of requesters here myself and have no problems letting requesters know when they have issues and have been told that i can work on their hits as long as they are available even despite only stating i can do once.

so yeah eyes rolled

• Wow
Reactions: sunshinedogs

charlie

Reaction score
your getting too worked up over this considering i only asked if i can do it again. yes it states in the rules you can only submit once. My question was only brought up because of getting paid twice during my initial go thru yesterday. Nothing was exploited and being that i got the hit accepted when i did not even attempt to catch it today with it allowing me to work thru it made me ask the question. For me hits that i have done before pop up with a message stating that i have already done it before and this one did not. I even stated that it is morally wrong but its money. and you can have your opinion on what i should do in this situation but so do I.. Im also well aware that requesters check this forum and i have brought a lot of requesters here myself and have no problems letting requesters know when they have issues and have been told that i can work on their hits as long as they are available even despite only stating i can do once.

so yeah eyes rolled
on the note about the exclusion qual that you're referencing, if i don't see that a requestor has one in place even though the requestor only wants the task done once I always email and advise the requestor to use the exclusion qual. i don't always get a response but my hope is that the requestor does note that and take the advice for future tasks or fixes the one currently loaded. we are here to help each other but we should also be willing to help the requestors too. like it or not, we are the experts of the system from an end-user perspective so it's good to help since the requestors don't experience what we do.

sunshinedogs

Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from hcronic@middlebury.edu for work related to 301KG0KXAI7I0VM5OHQT1YLZKB12H8.
The value of your bonus is: $0.40 USD

The Requester included this note:
Thank you for your careful work on our HIT.

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

Sincerely,
Amazon Mechanical Turk
https://www.mturk.com

charlie

Reaction score
twice daily MTS crash just happened. yippee.

freekshow420

Reaction score
on the note about the exclusion qual that you're referencing, if i don't see that a requestor has one in place even though the requestor only wants the task done once I always email and advise the requestor to use the exclusion qual. i don't always get a response but my hope is that the requestor does note that and take the advice for future tasks or fixes the one currently loaded. we are here to help each other but we should also be willing to help the requestors too. like it or not, we are the experts of the system from an end-user perspective so it's good to help since the requestors don't experience what we do.
I did write the requester already ,

Edit: also letting them know what i said on here too @ MirrorMan MirrorMan ,,, I have nothing to hide.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlie

nana

Contributor
Reaction score
so i have sort of a weird question to ask, I did this survey yesterday:

ndrea Amelio
Title
30 min study: 5$ base pay + up to 3$ bonus
Description
In this study you will be asked to guess some probability and make related assessments. Base pay is 5$: 0.5$ for participation and 4.5$ for completion. You have the chance to earn an additional 3$, based on your performance. Hence, you can earn up to 8$.

and when completing it and at the end of the study there was an option to retake the survey over from the beginning to get the base pay plus bonus ( i figured i missed something and it was telling me to get paid i need to re take it)

So I click the button to restart it and complete it again and it once again asks me if i want to click the button to restart the survey, this time I just entered the code it gave me. Within a few hours i received two sets of the same bonus from this requester . 2x 4.50 bonus payments. and 2x 1.50 bonus payments... I did not try and accept the hit again today but with the mts bug i have of it keep adding hits i didnt add. popped up in my catcher, It states on the rules that i cannot take it more then once. but considering i got paid for it twice yesterday with only submitting once im wondering if i can just do this again but not submit so i can get the bonus pay? i do not feel its morally right to do. BUT ......money.......lmao
I would personally advise against this not only is it morally wrong and scamming the requester it gives all turkers a bad reputation and requesters will pull their work from the site so it affects other workers too. Also it can affect your ability to work for requesters if they choose to block you for attempting this and I would think could put your account at risk. No short time money is worth the money that could be earned in the furture.

Last edited:
Reactions: MirrorMan

freekshow420

Reaction score
I did write the requester already .
I would personally advise against this not only is it morally wrong and scamming the requester it gives all turkers a bad reputation and requesters will pull their work from the site so it affects other requesters. Also it can affect your ability to work for requesters if they choose to block you for attempting this and I would think could put your account at risk. No short time money is worth the money that could be earned in the furture.
you missed the responses already

Status
Not open for further replies.