Question on doing a HIT twice and Return HITS

Tony252

Reaction score
I recently accepted a HIT that I realized I done before, it did allow me to go in but I returned in since I was worried I may be rejected. Is this the correct thing to do? it was survey / product comparison so I would be asked the same questions.
Also, how does return HITS affect my score down the line? I am just getting started so just concerned. Thanks.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Yes, that was a good move on your part.

MTurk keeps track of your return rate (% HITs you return) and your abandonment rate (% of HITs you let expire). Those percentages can be used as a qualification i.e. HIT return rate is less than 5%. Very few requesters use that information. I've seen the qual used maybe 3 times in 6 months. No need to worry about returning!

Last edited:
Reactions: aveline and kryss

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I had this question, sort of, what if you do go ahead and, for instance, in a survey it states you may not do it if you have done a similar type before....I am very new, but I still have no clue when it states that, is it better to go back and check every time, even if it doesn't specifically state you will be rejected?

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
Hi, I had this question, sort of, what if you do go ahead and, for instance, in a survey it states you may not do it if you have done a similar type before....I am very new, but I still have no clue when it states that, is it better to go back and check every time, even if it doesn't specifically state you will be rejected?
almost no academic survey's want you to repeat. They are looking for new subjects. So, yes, if you repeat a survey they will probably reject you.

Have you installed a HIT database? Do that (it helps) :)

Reactions: MerryLou

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, I was thinking I'd seen where they mentioned recent surveys that if done I could't do the current one, and thought they weren't actually the same one. I'd hope I'd notice if I took two identical surveys I'd notice, but I wouldn't be absolutely surprised if I ever did...it was the requester and/or name of the survey I thought I would't remember. Maybe they are referring to the same one usually. I'm new...lol

Also I just spent 1/2 hr on a survey that I prequalified for first, then forgot to go back and accept until I was done...when I did so it said I'd taken to many of these and to return it...this is an arbitrary Mturk thing based on stats, beginner status, etc, right? Anyway I wish I'd quit wasting time and potential money on dumb mistakes. Which I just do in life in general haha...And no I hadn't seen the hit database script, that does sound like just what I need! Thanks!

P.S. Another example of what not to do: Spending a ridiculous amt of time on a hit, forgot what or why, switching from pc to phone back to pc, go to continue the hit, see 'Return hit' and in my muddled brain ( <=====too much twirling maybe) I read 'Return TO hit' so I click it. AAAAAAUUUGGHGHGH!

Last edited:
Reactions: jan

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
I found what I was talking about, not completely losing it...haha...and I'm guessing yeah this is a good thing to check for myself rather than risking a rejection. Not sure why I even questioned that now...::

"This HIT is similar to one I posted on Wednesday May 18, also called "Impression Formation." If you participated in that previous HIT, you are NOT eligible to participate in this HIT. I cannot credit workers for this HIT who took the previous HIT, so please do not accept this HIT if you participated in the previous one. Thank you!"
Ok I'll shut up now.

lysander

Reaction score
Hit Scraper shows you HITs you have already done or at least if it has the same exact title.