Video Quality Hit

Beak

Reaction score
For the second time the Skype Video Quality Hit showed up for me over the weekend. It was easy the first time and it was something I could do listening to an audio book. So I thought "Why not"? Easy $3 if not fast.

So I attempt the HIT and I'm getting these notices that I'm not paying attention. The first 3 or 4 I suspect maybe I'm just zoned directly in a bit too much and focusing my sight on just the actual video. So it's possible I'm missing one here and there I tell myself. At 25% it completely hangs up and won't advance. So I've basically done like 33% of this hit at this point. Frustrated, I waited an hour or so and started again. Making absolutely sure I'm paying attention. Again the notice. Now I know I'm not crazy. So I do a video screen capture and start again. I patiently watch several of them multiple times (every third to fourth one gives the notice). I have my evidence and have now done roughly 50-60% of this HIT. No problem I think. I'll message the requester (A Carter) including the screen capture and await feedback. Surely I won't get stuck having wasted a good 45 mins. It's a 72 hr window to complete and this is no more than a couple hours in. I wait two days while checking my email waiting for a response. When none comes and I'm down to about an hour I figure I've sunk a lot of time into this to return it so I attempt it a third time (actually more than that if you count tablet and phone). I get to 39% and kept track of how many I did multiple times. Exactly 10. At that point it freezes again. Again, I have the screen capture so I send it to the requester. So I have done right at 100 of these and dealt with the frustration as well as the additional time to contact the requester. No response ever came. I DID get a rejection today though because I submitted it.

TL:DR- Skip these HITS they are broken and the requester won't reply.

I'm assuming I'm just SOL as far as any remedy might go? I had already sent 2 messages with links to the files showing how far I went and detailing that it was in fact broken. I do my best to do good work and so many of these requesters do nothing but incentivize me to do the absolute minimum to get paid. It's ridiculous that there's nothing you can do when a requester puts up broken work that eats up a chunk of your time and then their only acknowledgement is to reject you for your naivety in expecting people to do what is right.

jan

Reaction score
For the second time the Skype Video Quality Hit showed up for me over the weekend. It was easy the first time and it was something I could do listening to an audio book. So I thought "Why not"? Easy $3 if not fast.

So I attempt the HIT and I'm getting these notices that I'm not paying attention. The first 3 or 4 I suspect maybe I'm just zoned directly in a bit too much and focusing my sight on just the actual video. So it's possible I'm missing one here and there I tell myself. At 25% it completely hangs up and won't advance. So I've basically done like 33% of this hit at this point. Frustrated, I waited an hour or so and started again. Making absolutely sure I'm paying attention. Again the notice. Now I know I'm not crazy. So I do a video screen capture and start again. I patiently watch several of them multiple times (every third to fourth one gives the notice). I have my evidence and have now done roughly 50-60% of this HIT. No problem I think. I'll message the requester (A Carter) including the screen capture and await feedback. Surely I won't get stuck having wasted a good 45 mins. It's a 72 hr window to complete and this is no more than a couple hours in. I wait two days while checking my email waiting for a response. When none comes and I'm down to about an hour I figure I've sunk a lot of time into this to return it so I attempt it a third time (actually more than that if you count tablet and phone). I get to 39% and kept track of how many I did multiple times. Exactly 10. At that point it freezes again. Again, I have the screen capture so I send it to the requester. So I have done right at 100 of these and dealt with the frustration as well as the additional time to contact the requester. No response ever came. I DID get a rejection today though because I submitted it.

TL:DR- Skip these HITS they are broken and the requester won't reply.

I'm assuming I'm just SOL as far as any remedy might go? I had already sent 2 messages with links to the files showing how far I went and detailing that it was in fact broken. I do my best to do good work and so many of these requesters do nothing but incentivize me to do the absolute minimum to get paid. It's ridiculous that there's nothing you can do when a requester puts up broken work that eats up a chunk of your time and then their only acknowledgement is to reject you for your naivety in expecting people to do what is right.
Make sure to put this on TO so that everyone else will see it. A lot of times, when things look bad - and are taking too much time, we'll toss them quickly. You can waste a lot of time on a bad HIT, so it's important to pick and choose w hat you work on. Over time, people get really good at that (and toss things pretty quickly!)

Requesters still have a lot of ability to control the hits and can reject what they will. So, after contacting them, there's really not much more you can do - except leave TO to warn others. Is this HIT a university research HIT? If so, then they are affiliated with an IRB Board (at the school). If you contact the school's IRB......that will probably work :).