Rejections

Marte48047

Reaction score
Are there requesters who just reject hits for no reason? Is it just so they don't have to pay the worker? I really wish I had some feedback when given a rejection just so I can learn from it. I did contact the requester to find out why but have not heard back. Just curious.

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
Are there requesters who just reject hits for no reason? Is it just so they don't have to pay the worker? I really wish I had some feedback when given a rejection just so I can learn from it. I did contact the requester to find out why but have not heard back. Just curious.
Yes, that happens. Are you looking at their reviews? Turk Opticon or turker view?
My sense is that most requesters are pretty fair. Most problems - imo - are requesters that set up the HIT incorrectly - and reject without knowing that it really hurts the worker (just mistakes or thoughtless sorts of things).

But there are certainly a few who want 'free work.' You have to be careful. Never do so many HITS with one requester that a mass rejection will sink your approval rating under 98 percent.
That's why people try to get lots of hits approved (it gives us a cushion in case of a really catastrophic rejection event).

Last edited:
Reactions: Marte48047

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
It's very, very rare. Occasionally you will get rejections for inane reasons which will be frustrating, but it's unlikely the requester never intended to pay from the start. Often these rejections get overturned, sometimes they don't.

If a HIT seems to have been put together poorly/unprofessionally the chance of a rejection goes up significantly so avoid working on those.

The weight of a single rejection is often vastly overstated by turkers as even for someone who doesn't do may HITs it has little effect on their account. It does FEEL bad though -- so a lot of turkers tend to overreact. If the HIT didn't take very long/wasn't a lot of effort it's often not even worth worrying about and you're better off letting it go.

Reactions: jan and Marte48047