Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Mechanical Turk Suspensions and General Speculation

Discussion in 'MTurk Help & Resources' started by Metallica, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Metallica

Metallica
    Expand Collapse
    No remorse, no repent

• Contributor
    • Mentor
    NOTE: THIS THREAD WILL BE UPDATED CONTINUALLY.

Logging in to see the 'This account has been suspended by the Amazon Mechanical Turk Team'* message is one of the worst ways to start or end your day. There appears to be multiple reasons for suspension, which will be covered in this post. My searching around the forums and Reddit for recent suspensions has shown that this can be a very long uphill battle. A large majority of the people who have tried to get their account back quit bothering just days into the process. With that said, it appears to be a toss up whether or not you will get your account back even if you email every single person you can think of.
    *NOTE THAT IF YOUR REQUESTER ACCOUNT IS SUSPENDED, SO IS YOUR WORKER ACCOUNT, AND VICE VERSA.
    WHAT YOU SHOULD DO NEXT

Now that you have received the spirit crushing message, let us proceed to the process you need to conform to. You should immediately use the 'Contact Us' form, located at the bottom of the MTurk home page. They will generally answer back within 1-2 business days and give you a 'canned response' as to why you were suspended.

WHO ELSE CAN I EMAIL?*
    There are a variety of choices here. From experience, none of them will lead to a response at all, however, they do have to be forwarded to the correct department which could make someone investigate your case further. jeff@amazon.com is the best email to use. This is the aforementioned 'must be forwarded to the correct department' one, and it seems to bring better results than using the CU page on MTurk. Other emails you can use include the CU page on Amazon Payments, and the main Amazon page.
    *PERMISSION TO LIST THESE EMAILS WAS GRANTED FROM MODERATORS. THERE ARE OTHER EMAILS THAT ARE USED BY AN ACTUAL HUMAN, AND A PM MUST BE SENT IN ORDER TO GAIN ACCESS TO THEM.

THE 'BIG THREE' REASONS FOR SUSPENSION
    **Update** According to correspondence @electrolyte@electrolyte had with someone from Amazon, it seems like you'll be getting an actual response as to what you did from here on out.

According to research and contributions from others, there are only 3 different suspension reasons. The actual cause for your suspension will never be told to you unless you continually pester the support team.
    I have checked your account and confirmed that the account was suspended. Your account was suspended because our system detected activity on your account that may have violated the participation agreement.

Your case has been forwarded to our suspension research team to review the suspension decision.

We will follow up with you in 2 - 3 business days with our decision.

Thank you for your understanding.
    We regret to inform you that we have suspended your Mechanical Turk account effective immediately. This action was taken because you received multiple blocks from Requesters due to the quality of your work.

If you are a US Worker, you may withdraw any remaining balance on your account by logging on to your account on http://payments.amazon.com . If you have an Indian worker account and your PAN, EPIC, or Passport has been submitted and approved, then your balance has already been automatically remitted via check. There have been situations where you are completely locked out of your Payments account as well. This seems to depend on the severity of the suspension.
    We regret to inform you that we have suspended your Mechanical Turk account effective immediately. This action was taken because of a consistently low approval rating.
    UPDATE: Amazon seems to be sending warnings in advance of your suspension now, and it looks like the aforementioned reasons for suspensions is changing or will be changing in the future. The length of a person's suspension seems to have changed as well, look deeper in the thread for an example - the person was suspended and then brought back onto the platform within a matter of hours. I won't be able to provide anything else until more people deal with a suspension like that.

FURTHER RESPONSES AFTER YOUR INITIAL EMAIL
    Again, there appears to be a list of things they can tell you after the initial suspension reason email. I have yet to compile a complete list of these, and only have one thus far. I hope to rectify this by receiving more contribution from others in the future.
    Unfortunately the appeal was denied and this account will remain closed. As previously mentioned the decision is final and we would only have responded if the suspension was reversed.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this regard.
    I received this exact same message, but I still continued to email them for 2 more days. Not much longer after, I received an email stating that my account was re-opened. Just because you received this message DOES NOT mean you are done for. It appears to be yet another canned response.

I don't have the exact messages for them, however there are some people who have been able to create a second account. This comes after being told your original account will remain closed (See above). I can't give you a reason for that, however I think it would be annoying to start all over again.

HISTORICAL/CONCEPTUAL
    There has been plenty of cases in the past with Indian worker accounts being suspended suddenly. Some feel they were suspended because Amazon didn't want Indian workers on their platform after they initially quit letting people from outside the US join in 2012. There are still some Indian workers around from years back, however I can't find enough to build a concrete list of details. What I have noticed, however, is that they seem to have the lowest chances of getting their account back. My meaning behind that is it is very rare to see a success story from a foreign worker. I only included this bit because forums and the subreddit got a barrage of questions related to this in later 2015 after the ban wave started to happen. This is just something I found interesting, it serves of no actual use for the suspension process.

FAQ
    I received an email stating I am blocked by a requester. What does this mean?
    • This can be for bad quality work you have done for them, a error from their part, or an error in whatever software they use. A block is detrimental to your account and can lead to suspension if enough are gathered in a short period of time. Note that these blocks can be reversed, however you won't receive an email telling you if it was.
    What's the difference between a "hard" and "soft" block, and how many can get me suspended?
    • There isn't a difference. A block is a block, so either distinction can lead to your suspension. The number needed for suspension isn't exactly 100% known, but the consensus is 4 within 6 months. Note that some blocks will not generate an email telling you that you were indeed blocked. This is where the "soft block" term started getting use. Years ago, a turker made a requester block them to see if an email was generated. It never was, so you can't really tell with certainty how many requesters have blocked you in the past.
    Can rejections get me suspended?
    • Most definitely. The general rule of thumb is to stay at 99% approval rate or higher, which isn't all that hard if you do work correctly and pay attention to Turkopticon ratings. The exact percentage you need to get suspended isn't really known, but it is something terrible, so think around 75 or 80%.
    How long will I have to email Amazon before I am unbanned?
    • This is an answer no one can tell you, as it is up to Amazon. Remember that you are not promised to get your account back to begin with.
    What else can I do to prevent being suspended?
    • Be honest with requesters, don't scam them. Don't make multiple accounts or let other people use yours. Most of this stuff is pretty common sense, but you would be surprised how often people are suspended for that. More can be learned from MTurk's Participation Agreement, however some of it isn't clear or is misleading.
    My account is under review. What does this mean?
    • Since this doesn't directly relate to suspensions, I am of no help. For more information regarding this, search the MTurk subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mturk/

#1 Metallica, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. rae saunders

rae saunders
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your much appreciated information. Mine is spoiler one. I guess I will begin my email campaign. Really feeling down and dejected.

jan likes this.
  3. DonThinkBoutYorMomTwerki

DonThinkBoutYorMomTwerki
    Expand Collapse

I need these hidden emails if anyone can help me. My account was just suspended with 300,000 hits, 99.9% approval. I think I messed up on an AWS barcode batch around 400 submitted.
    I guess don't don't piss off the king. :tearsofjoy:

4. turker

turker
    Expand Collapse
    How many pork chop of pork chop are in this image?

• Contributor
    thanks for this just in case

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. kryss

kryss
    Expand Collapse
    carburante al fuoco

• Contributor
    Was it just warning?

#5 kryss, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Sasi Balaji and turker like this.
  6. Suhail

Suhail
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone here tell me, why my account shows its been went under review when i try to accept the hits.is this a kind of a suspension or any blockage???

kryss likes this.
  7. TSolo315

TSolo315
    Expand Collapse
    SnapNCrackle

If you are brand new you need to wait for your account to be approved before working on HITs. You then need to be approved for an Amazon Payments account.

The Bad Ash and kryss like this.
  8. Suhail

Suhail
    Expand Collapse

Nope.actually i am working since 2012. last week i changed my account name because of some pan card submission but i didnt change my bank account. Does it relate to this issue.does anyone got the same problem before.pls let me knw .ty

9. jan

jan
    Expand Collapse

that sounds like it could have triggered it. DId you get a letter from Amazon? Have you sent them an inquiry?

10. Suhail

Suhail
    Expand Collapse

Yea i already." I have done some research and confirmed that the Worker ID you quoted in your email exists under a different address.

I'm truly sorry, but for security reasons, we can only take action on an account when the request comes from the e-mail address associated with that customer account. It's important to us to make sure that any changes are authorized by the account holder and that your personal information is not compromised. " and this is the reply i got.after that no mails.what this means.does it solve by changing my bank account.

11. electrolyte

electrolyte
    Expand Collapse
    The Ghost of MTurk Past

• Administrator
    No, that has nothing to do with the bank account question. What the email is saying is that the Worker ID you included is associated with a different email address than the email address you sent the email from. They want you to send the question from the email address that is associated with the Worker ID.

12. Suhail

Suhail
    Expand Collapse

13. Suhail

Suhail
    Expand Collapse

Its not possible.i'm working on it for 3 years with same email id.and i never change that.Last week i change the name and tho they askd pan card num and i submitted.till sunday i dnt had any problem.but from monday morning only this problem occured. Even today i mailed them several times.but no reply

14. AndreaR

AndreaR
    Expand Collapse

How do I know if I've been blocked from a requester or if that requester just hasn't been posting. I used to do Zoltar every morning it was up, but since March 1st, I have seen no batches for Zoltar. Have there been batches? Am I blocked? I never received any indication of not doing a good job or an email saying I was in danger of being blocked. In hind sight, I might have done a couple of hits without opening the link and maybe put "no website available" when it was in a foreign language versus trying to figure it out. I did 1000s of hits for them with no rejections, so could be blocked so abruptly? I truly tried to answer the questions to the best of my ability. How do I find out if I am blocked and, if so, can it be reversed?

15. MrTrentSD

MrTrentSD
    Expand Collapse
    Alive and Kicking

• Contributor
    Well, since you joined on March 9, they have posted on the 10th and 11th. Nothing since.

Not clicking through a link is a HUGE no-no. :ave:

Foreign language pages: you can translate a page by right clicking your mouse and look for Translate to English (something like that).

If you use Panda Crazy to catch Zoltars, the color will change to BLACK - then you are blocked. No reversals - they never respond to emails from what I can tell.

kryss likes this.
  16. AndreaR

AndreaR
    Expand Collapse

I do not use Panda Crazy, I use Taskmaster. I wish there had been something somewhere that pointed these tips out to turkers! Ugh! Thanks.

17. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    Obnoxious String

• Administrator
    If you go to the Zoltar FAQ thread there should be a PandA link or two from there. The hits won't be available BUT if you click the PandA's and it only says "not available" you're fine. If you are blocked it will tell you, even if no hits are available.

#17 Jaded, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  18. Suhail

Suhail
    Expand Collapse

I had review problem last week.but got a mail to fax them the official id proof and i sent them. Yesterday it was all ok.i got my account back and they emailed me that review went succeaafully.but last night while am working my account got suspended.i dont know why it happend. I dint got any block or warning messages.please help me to recover this. I mailed them already. Should i give hope for my account ??

19. Suhail

Suhail
    Expand Collapse

Please anyone reply.now what to do next for the above problem???

20. kryss

kryss
    Expand Collapse
    carburante al fuoco

• Contributor
    You just have to email them persistently, I'm afraid there isn't anything we can do here, other than the information that's already been provided.

jan likes this.