HIT Timers: Anything less then 10 minutes is the requesters way of shooting themselves in the foot.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
One of the most frustrating things on Mturk is having a HIT expire on you while you're working on it.

That time you just invested to be sure you're submitting quality work is just gone, and it's not just bad for you, it's bad for the requester too.

So picture this, you're banging out these HITs, you're feeling good, you've got all your work stuck in there and you hover your mouse over the submit button while you check your work when suddenly, your page refreshes! All your work is gone, and you have no way to get compensated for your time spent on that HIT, short of contacting the requester, assuming you even can contact them.
The HIT you spent all that time on ends up in another person's queue, all the way at the end, while they're working on whatever HITs they have going on.

3 minutes later it's likely expired, again, and the cycle continues.

So that HIT you wanted done ASAP, that you set the timer for 3 minutes on isn't taking 3 minutes to get done. because it's just hopping from one queue to the next. But if the timer was 10 minutes The first person to get it would have been able to complete it and submit quality work.

I forgot what else I was going to say about this. I'm tired and rambly and was thinking about this in a very stream of consciousness way.