Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

HIT Rejection - How To Get It Reversed!

Discussion in 'MTurk Help & Resources' started by Jaded, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaded

Jaded
    Expand Collapse
    Drinking is research

• Administrator
    Rejection Reversals.

Rejections suck, but are a part of turk life. But sometimes you can get them reversed! Just contact the requester politely. I usually send something along the lines of this:

***​

Hello <Requester>

I just received a rejection on <hit>. I see your message of <rejection reason.> I wanted to reach out to you and see what exactly had gone wrong. I would be happy to redo this, if you would be willing to reverse the rejection. <You can add extra here if you know for sure you didn't do what rejection reason said.>

Here are some links about reversing rejections.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSMechTurk/latest/RequesterUI/ReversingRejectedAssignment.html

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSMech.../ApiReference_ApproveAssignmentOperation.html

http://mechanicalturk.typepad.com/b...ignments-in-the-requester-user-interface.html

Thank you for any response.

--Name

***​

You can also include something along the lines of "I try and submit high-quality work." Or "Rejections can harm our ability to work." Just go with it, the main idea is to politely ask for reconsideration.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 Jaded, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018 at 4:01 PM
  2. clickhappier

clickhappier
    Expand Collapse
    ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

• Subforum Curator
    • Crowd Pleaser
    TrevorNetmsi, an employee of a major requester who's actually had occasional personal communication with Amazon employees, has made a few comments about this topic before... I collected them in Aug 2015 to provide some insight on rejections from a requester's perspective:

Jul 2012 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Un-rejecting a HIT...anyone know how?

" I can answer from a Requester's perspective. In the past the way to get rejections reversed would require us to contact our Amazon representative and ask them to do it for us (it would actually be handled by the support/tech team). In the most recent update to the API, they added a function to approve a previously rejected HIT, but it is not always an option.

The function only works on HITs that are less than 30 days old, and aren't disposed. The problem is that anyone who uses the API will probably write into their programs something to dispose HITs as soon as possible. This is even recommended by Amazon as "best practices" for Requesters. So, while they did introduce the ability for us to be able to do it ourselves theoretically, in the real world it's rarely an option.

If the company I work for wanted to get rejections reversed then we'd have to do it the old way. "​

Oct 2012 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Could use some advice.

" The requester can submit a support ticket to have the rejection reversed, though they may not know that. They have to provide your worker ID, the assignment ID (not the HIT ID), the date it was originally completed, and confirm that they have enough in their account to pay for the approved HIT.

Some new requesters may not realize that rejections are more than just lost money. When you do manage to contact them, be sure to explain that a rejection hurts your stats and can affect your ability to accept HITs. "​

Dec 2012 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Can you do anything to get rid of a rejection?

" The requester can sign in to www.mturk.com, then go to https://requester.mturk.com/contactus to submit a problem ticket. They need to provide your worker ID, the assignment ID (not the HIT ID), and the date it was submitted, along with confirmation that there is enough in their account to pay for an approval. Should take 3-5 business days for the reversal to go through. "​

May 2013 - currently-invisible comment from him on Incorrectly Rejected HIT : mturk [re: requesters just wanting to send bonuses instead of reversing rejections]

" Some requesters may not be aware that the issue is rejection stats, and not the money. You should send them another message explaining that the real issue is how a rejection can affect your stats and ability to work, and that there is a way to reverse rejections. "​

Jul 2013 - invisi-comment from him on Possible to have rejections overturned? : mturk

" Requesters can reverse a rejection themselves (either through the web tools or through the API, whichever they use) as long as the HIT isn't disposed. If they have already disposed the HIT, then they need to submit a tech support ticket to Amazon to get it reversed (which takes 3-5 days).

I get a ton of messages asking if I can reverse a rejection but not pay for the HIT. For any company (like mine) that pre-pays for HITs the answer is no. Reversed rejections automatically become approvals, and pay out. "​

Sep 2013 - invisi-comment on How long should it take a requester to reverse a rejection? : mturk

" If the HIT has not been "disposed" then it can be reversed instantly by the Requester themselves. If the HIT is disposed, then it requires contacting Amazon support with the worker ID, assignment ID (not HIT ID), date submitted, and confirmation that there is enough in the Requester's account to pay for the approval. If a support ticket is required, then it'll take 3-5 business (i.e. add 2 for weekends) days after the ticket is answered (I usually get a response confirming they've received it in 1-2 days).

In short: Requester ignores finished HITs: Instant. Requester disposes HITs: 3-9 days.

(By the way, "best practices" says to dispose a HIT as soon as you've sent an approval or rejection. The way the API works, if you ever want to look up an active HIT you need to dispose everything that's finished. There's no "active" or "open" search options and it always returns everything that isn't disposed. Most companies who use the API instead of the web interface will be stuck sending support tickets.) "​

Oct 2013 - invisi-comment on how fast can I expect my HITs to be completed? : mturk

" Majority-rules systems are heavily frowned upon by the Turker community (for good reason, they are massively unfair). If you want to have a double-check, then manually review any disputes/differences. "​

Jun 2014 - TrevorNetmsi comments on Just got my first rejection - is there supposed to be an explanation?

" The "requester feedback" field is optional when giving rejections, so it wouldn't be an error if you got one without a reason. "​

Tribune likes this.
  3. clickhappier

clickhappier
    Expand Collapse
    ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

• Subforum Curator
    • Crowd Pleaser
    I want to highlight a point that inexperienced turkers seem to keep getting confused about, and then their requests confuse inexperienced requesters:

There is no 'cancel/undo' option; once a HIT has been submitted, it must be either approved or rejected. The only options provided by Amazon are 'approve and pay' or 'reject and don't pay'. There is no 'approve but don't pay' option. Reversing a rejection means it switches from 'reject and don't pay' status to 'approve and pay' status.

So when a worker asks a requester to 'remove the rejection but not pay me', as a number of people have mentioned in reviews (for years), they are asking for something that is impossible on MTurk, unless the original HIT pay amount was set to $0.00. We're more likely to get what we want when we ask a requester for something they can actually do at that point.

Tribune likes this.
  4. electrolyte

electrolyte
    Expand Collapse
    The Ghost of MTurk Past

• Administrator
    I also want to add that if you have received a rejection and left a negative review on Turkopticon, please remember to go back and revise your review if you communicate with the requester or get the rejection reversed!

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.