Coloring, Drawing, Painting

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question, but how did you get the colors to mix properly to make the orange, green, and purple? Did you just color in the same spot with all the colors or was there some blending from both sides going on?
I think the reason the green and the orange were so easy is because I initially layered that entire area with a light layer of yellow. Then I went over the top part with red, then again with yellow, again with red...and so on until it was the shade I wanted. Same with the green (but with blue, obvs). I used super light pressure for each layer to try to keep buildup from happening. The purple, I started with a really light blue, then red, then a little bit darker blue, then more red...that was what I finally did til I gave up. I tried with red first, but that was a stupid idea.

I just did a sloppy demonstration for you:

Reactions: scrmcasey and Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the reason the green and the orange were so easy is because I initially layered that entire area with a light layer of yellow. Then I went over the top part with red, then again with yellow, again with red...and so on until it was the shade I wanted. Same with the green (but with blue, obvs). I used super light pressure for each layer to try to keep buildup from happening. The purple, I started with a really light blue, then red, then a little bit darker blue, then more red...that was what I finally did til I gave up. I tried with red first, but that was a stupid idea.

I just did a sloppy demonstration for you:

Oh, that's interesting! Thanks for the demonstration too :o

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Pretty nervous to show off my pages for the first time, especially after seeing how good you all are! The pages Jaded @Jaded shared were too pretty not to, though.
I like the work in progress a lot better. I don't like the color scheme or how the skin turned out on the first one. Plus, I majorly messed up her mouth, so it looks like she's been drinking koolaid (or blood and forgot a napkin?)

Reactions: scrmcasey and Jaded

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty nervous to show off my pages for the first time, especially after seeing how good you all are! The pages Jaded @Jaded shared were too pretty not to, though.
I like the work in progress a lot better. I don't like the color scheme or how the skin turned out on the first one. Plus, I majorly messed up her mouth, so it looks like she's been drinking koolaid (or blood and forgot a napkin?)
The second one is kind of giving me a snow white vibe, even though the hair is blonde. Not sure what's going on there. Also, even though you don't like the mouth of the first one, I thought it kind of fit since it looks like she's licking her lips, so maybe she just hasn't had time to clean up yet XD

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I

I'm feelin iffy about the grayscale. Some of it does really well (like the yellow on bee girl) some of it not so much (like the red in her hair) Sometimes I can blend it to smooth it out and make it look better (The green on the O) and sometimes the gray smudges real bad when I try and blend (The black smudges at the bottom of the K) I figure this is me needing to get used to it, or that I'm using the wrong pencils. It seems like the lighter Prismacolor pencils and the harder Raffine pencils I have do better than the darker Prismacolor, and the softer Raffines.

Okay, that's all the ramblies. I should probably go write.
That fairy is the cutest! I wouldn't even know where to start with grayscale, but you seem to be doing a great job with what you've shared so far.

Reactions: Jaded

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I just colored the HOPE with colors I hadn't ever used >.>
I tried to do this not long ago with, like, ten pencils I hadn't used, then got really mad when I failed at making the hem of the dress look wet and gave up. But those pencils have now been used and I can go back to pretending they don't exist.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I tried to do this not long ago with, like, ten pencils I hadn't used, then got really mad when I failed at making the hem of the dress look wet and gave up. But those pencils have now been used and I can go back to pretending they don't exist.
I have a couple pages that have people in water and I've been pretty hesitant to start them because I have no idea how to make them look watery. Especially when they're half in water, half out.

Reactions: essjay

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Whoa! That looks really cool! It really does look like water, nice one :eek:
It could be better, but it is the first time I'm legit pleased with how water turned out. ^.^

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Pretty! Did you finish the Drusilla/Spike picture? I keep looking through my Buffy book but have yet to be brave enough to start any of them.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Reactions: sinon and scrmcasey

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, so I was trying out the "real" grayscale pages I had and was running across the white spots that really bothered me.

So, blender pencil is a no. It smudges the black HOWEVER I remembered that I have a colorless blender MARKER and it's great for this.

Now, it's not perfect because I was actually just testing things (pencils dipped in vaseline, different surfaces, etc) but you can definitely see where it cleaned up the spots and smoothed it out, especially on the red bits.

Hopefully that helps someone.

Reactions: scrmcasey