Status
Not open for further replies.

cb456

Let's do some hits!
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from Cornell LIC for work related to 3IYI9285WS9X1MBSEEBOD9FF3HLJCD.
The value of your bonus is: $1.00 USD

The Requester included this note:
Passed Cereal Bar Qualification (Extra Bonus)

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

They already bonused me but I'm not complaining :)
how long did it take before they approved/bonused?

Reactions: ChristopherASA

reprise

Contributor
Reaction score
Psychology. Useful in all sorts of ways (if you absorbed the information). You're lucky to have that.
I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and did the honors program with an undergraduate thesis. Definitely absorbed stuff.

reprise

Contributor
Reaction score
how long did it take before they approved/bonused?
I got 50 cents on the 21st and 1 dollar today. Originally did the HIT on 12/20. Not sure when it approved but I didn't notice it taking more than a day or two.

Reactions: cb456

reprise

Contributor
Reaction score
Think I'm about to take the plunge and buy a turking desktop.

I have no accessories so I'm thinking about just getting this: https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Core-Duo-2-6GHz-Refurbished/dp/B01ATX3PBS/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1545953048&sr=1-6&keywords=desktop+computer&refinements=p_36:8000-20000&th=1

I just want it to have hit forker and PANDA crazy open, and I'll do hits on my current laptop. Just so I always have those up to catch stuff. So I don't need anything crazy. Not like I can send requests to the server more often than I currently do. I just want to be able to always have those two open to grab stuff while I'm doing work, and not have to switch over. Plus it'll get me to get off my ass (well, back) and sit at the desk which should help me focus.

Yea/nay?

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Language Experiment (code: red): $4.00, 15-20 minutes | Accept
Requester: Carson Schutze [A2L0XWPDQHBT1] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$37.69] [Pay=4.90] [Fast=4.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 4.00
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: You must be a native speaker of American English to participate in this experiment. You will be asked to rate the acceptability of sentences. You may only take "code name: red" once per day for payment.
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

mboone73

The Last Hit Poster
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Half-Ass
Reaction score
Greetings!

I am new to the forum, I have been working on Mturk for several months but I am brand new to the forum.

The amount of Hits available has dropped drastically in the past few days.

Does anyone know if this is do to people taking off for the Holidays?
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Short answer, yes. I wouldn't expect next week to be much better, and there might not be much in the way of studies until the college kids go back. But you never know I guess.

Reactions: KYKITTY

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Greetings!

I am new to the forum, I have been working on Mturk for several months but I am brand new to the forum.

The amount of Hits available has dropped drastically in the past few days.

Does anyone know if this is do to people taking off for the Holidays?
Sounds like a fair assumption. Can never really tell why a requester doesn't post but, I know most people work less during the holidays. Requesters are no exception.
Just so you know, you've started a thread in the Daily HITs forum. This is where we have a running daily thread where we post HITs . This will probably be moved. No big deal.

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

I have no accessories so I'm thinking about just getting this: https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Core-Duo-2-6GHz-Refurbished/dp/B01ATX3PBS/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1545953048&sr=1-6&keywords=desktop+computer&refinements=p_36:8000-20000&th=1

I just want it to have hit forker and PANDA crazy open, and I'll do hits on my current laptop. Just so I always have those up to catch stuff. So I don't need anything crazy. Not like I can send requests to the server more often than I currently do. I just want to be able to always have those two open to grab stuff while I'm doing work, and not have to switch over. Plus it'll get me to get off my ass (well, back) and sit at the desk which should help me focus.

Yea/nay?
ideally you want 8gb ram and a ssd esp if you want to use it to make money

Reactions: Merovign

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

Yea/nay?
What do you mean nay? Of course get a second pc. I'm sure at least a quarter of are using multiple devices.:)

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score

Yea/nay?
Core2Duos are kind of obsolescent and practically free if you look around. People are practically throwing them at me. Check craigslist.

4gb is kind of marginal because browsers are memory hogs. 8Gb is pretty solid.

Right now I'm using an Optiplex 790 i3 that I got for $40. I got a Dell Precision for free and I'm going to run 2 video cards and 4-6 monitors.

That $140 is kind of insane except for the shipping part. The computer is worth about $20 and the monitor about $20, and the keyboard and mouse about $5.

Edit: Most thrift stores these days don't keep computer stock, at least in my area, but could be worth checking. People sell used business machines all the time on craigslist. For $140 you should be able to get an i3 or i5 with two monitors and accessories, though maybe not all in one go.

Last edited:
Reactions: cb456

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
ideally you want 8gb ram and a ssd esp if you want to use it to make money
For just HitForker and PandaCrazy? I don't think either are necessary, as I don't have either and seem to do okay but, everyone is different. But, I've never noticed any sort of slowdown that interfered with making money or turking. I could be a rare case, I guess.

Not saying you're way is wrong but, it can be done pretty well without those things. Maybe I'm missing out on a buck or 2. You're probably better at it than I am.:)

reprise

Contributor
Reaction score
Core2Duos are kind of obsolescent and practically free if you look around. People are practically throwing them at me. Check craigslist.

4gb is kind of marginal because browsers are memory hogs. 8Gb is pretty solid.

Right now I'm using an Optiplex 790 i3 that I got for $40. I got a Dell Precision for free and I'm going to run 2 video cards and 4-6 monitors.

That $140 is kind of insane except for the shipping part. The computer is worth about $20 and the monitor about $20, and the keyboard and mouse about $5.
Ok, I thought I could get by with 4GB and not having an SSD just for hit forker/panda crazy. Craigslist is a good idea. Amazon has me brainwashed to go to them for sure.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
Spending under $200 on a computer is just asking for pain.

Reactions: Jaded

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I thought I could get by with 4GB and not having an SSD just for hit forker/panda crazy. Craigslist is a good idea. Amazon has me brainwashed to go to them for sure.
If you have a ton of amazon gift money you can't spend anywhere else, sure - but keep looking. Seriously those C2D machines end up in the dump by the thousands because no one can even sell them. 2 cores 2 threads means you'll bog down with a lot of tabs open, and they're a small percentage the speed of even a new budget system.

The C2D machines are like 10 generations behind current. If you know a geek, locally, maybe they can scrounge up something for you.

With 8Gb the Optiplex 790 at $40 is terrific and I see them for sale all the time. The only reason I'm building the other one is for more than two monitors.

reprise

Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a ton of amazon gift money you can't spend anywhere else, sure - but keep looking. Seriously those C2D machines end up in the dump by the thousands because no one can even sell them. 2 cores 2 threads means you'll bog down with a lot of tabs open, and they're a small percentage the speed of even a new budget system.

The C2D machines are like 10 generations behind current. If you know a geek, locally, maybe they can scrounge up something for you.

With 8Gb the Optiplex 790 at $40 is terrific and I see them for sale all the time. The only reason I'm building the other one is for more than two monitors.
Yeah, I have a friend who owns a computer store. I just feel like an ass asking him because I don't want him to feel like I'm using him. But obviously I should get his help.

Reactions: Merovign
Status
Not open for further replies.