11/20 - Roman Numerals Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to try to lay down for 2-3 hours before the rest of the fun needs to happen. I keep telling myself it's only *one* day a year.
The bad part is I already had reservations at a fantastic restaurant with just my husband, son, stepdaughter, and father. But then my stepfather passed away and my mom is alone and I found out my stepbrother's family went on vacation with out him (he's police so he couldn't get off work). Next thing you know I volunteer for this whole mess again and it grows exponentially. Le Sigh.
It is a lot of work. But how nice that you're there for these people. My dad is retired LE so always had to work Thanksgiving, and we had to have our Turkey days on different days and never left town because he couldn't.

Kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score
It is a lot of work. But how nice that you're there for these people. My dad is retired LE so always had to work Thanksgiving, and we had to have our Turkey days on different days and never left town because he couldn't.
What are your plans this year for T-day?

esprit-hyperdoux

Crowd Disappointer
Requester
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm not american so i don't have any attachments to this holiday but i am going to take advantage of the superlong weekend to have familytimes!
oh i just remembered that time in undergrad when they scheduled a midterm on the day of US thxgvng & all the american students were like ?????? you CAN'T ??? the profs were like, well idk u decided to go to school in canada so,

Last edited:

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm not american so i don't have any attachments to this holiday but i am going to take advantage of the superlong weekend to have familytimes!
oh i just remembered that time in undergrad when they scheduled a midterm on the day of US thxgvng & all the american students were like ?????? you CAN'T ??? the profs were like, well idk u decided to go to school in canada so,
LOL! My best friend's oldest daughter (who is like my own) went to Cardiff in Wales for her Ph.D and she insisted on having Thanksgiving there and taking the day off (but I guess you get a little more leeway as a Ph.D student.) She would cook for all her UK friends. They all love Thanksgiving. She would generally call me the day before for advice on cooking certain things.

And it's an excuse to stuff your face! And Canada has their own Thanksgiving, so stuff twice!

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
And also, like a lot of American "history" this holiday is attached to some false "mythology" so I don't know what we are really celebrating in this country, lol. Certainly what they taught me in school as a wee child has been proven totally false, lol.

Reactions: savvy and Kennedy

esprit-hyperdoux

Crowd Disappointer
Requester
Contributor
Reaction score
And also, like a lot of American "history" this holiday is attached to some false "mythology" so I don't know what we are really celebrating in this country, lol. Certainly what they taught me in school as a wee child has been proven totally false, lol.
aw yeah i remember my 1st thxgive in the US, our neighbours invited us over to share in their traditions, like watching the macy's parade in your pyjamas. they also tried to explain the thing with the pilgrims and the feeding of the 5000 and whatnot, we did a lot of smile-and-nodding

Reactions: Kennedy and savvy

Kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score
When in Rome...
You are Canadian?

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
aw yeah i remember my 1st thxgive in the US, our neighbours invited us over to share in their traditions, like watching the macy's parade in your pyjamas. they also tried to explain the thing with the pilgrims and the feeding of the 5000 and whatnot, we did a lot of smile-and-nodding
I don't even know what the feeding of the 5000 is, lol.

But watching the Macy's Parade in the morning is kind of awesome. Nothing to do with pilgrims, but it's awesome, lol!

Reactions: savvy

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
What are your plans this year for T-day?
I'm going to my aunties who is hosting. I barely have to cook, so it's awesome. I just have to bring my devilled eggs and some brownies if I feel like making brownies.

I'm spoiled. The generation ahead of me had babies really, really young so they still host and I've never needed to make a turkey. Don't even know how. Just informed my son my plan is to never make one, and he needs to marry a woman who will make a turkey so when my mom and her sister stop doing it I never have to.

esprit-hyperdoux

Crowd Disappointer
Requester
Contributor
Reaction score
When in Rome...
You are Canadian?
ôôôôôô canadaaaaaaa terrre de nos aieuuuuuuuuuux
ton! front! est ceint! de fleurons glorieuuuuuuuuuux
I don't even know what the feeding of the 5000 is, lol.
my apologies, that was a jesus reference lol. our neighbours were Very Traditional

Reactions: tricker and Kennedy

Kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to my aunties who is hosting. I barely have to cook, so it's awesome. I just have to bring my devilled eggs and some brownies if I feel like making brownies.

I'm spoiled. The generation ahead of me had babies really, really young so they still host and I've never needed to make a turkey. Don't even know how. Just informed my son my plan is to never make one, and he needs to marry a woman who will make a turkey so when my mom and her sister stop doing it I never have to.
I am right there with you! My husband has cooked a turkey, but I never have. This year Cracker Barrel is making our turkey dinner, but we are still making a boatload of other things like chicken n noodles, ham (yuck), hot buttered rum, side dishes and appetizers. I'm not sure why I went with CB for the turkey. I guess I thought I was going to keep it simple. THAT didn't happen.
Enjoy your brownies and I am jealous over the deviled eggs. Love them, but hate making them.

Reactions: tricker

Kennedy

Contributor
Reaction score

my apologies, that was a jesus reference lol. our neighbours were Very Traditional
I have never been to Canada and always wanted to go. I actually planned and semi-cancelled 3 trips between this year and next that involved Canada. The one that may still be on would include Vancouver, but I've always wanted to see Montreal.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score

Oh, ok, yeah. I know what that is, lol. Duh. My heathen ways are showing.

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
I made Thanksgiving dinner for me and my sons tonight. They are leaving for the long weekend tomorrow so I wanted to get a little something special too. I made a ham. Add me to the never made a turkey and don't plan on it club!

esprit-hyperdoux

Crowd Disappointer
Requester
Contributor
Reaction score
I have never been to Canada and always wanted to go. I actually planned and semi-cancelled 3 trips between this year and next that involved Canada. The one that may still be on would include Vancouver, but I've always wanted to see Montreal.
oh you should totally go to canada! you could pick up all the square screwdrivers & screws you need to complete your tool collection! if you ever make it to montréal i'll recommend you some hardware stores :D

Reactions: Kennedy

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Spending time with family is important this holiday.
But slightly more important is watching Joe Bob Briggs' horror marathon on Shudder.

:heavycheck:Sponsored post

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
I am right there with you! My husband has cooked a turkey, but I never have. This year Cracker Barrel is making our turkey dinner, but we are still making a boatload of other things like chicken n noodles, ham (yuck), hot buttered rum, side dishes and appetizers. I'm not sure why I went with CB for the turkey. I guess I thought I was going to keep it simple. THAT didn't happen.
Enjoy your brownies and I am jealous over the deviled eggs. Love them, but hate making them.
I have to make them for every single family gathering. I don't mind because it gets me out of having to make anything else. I always bitch about how hard they are to peel, lol.

I don't think I'm fundamentally opposed to making a turkey, but by my advanced age I never have and now it's become a life goal. To avoid making a turkey.

Minx2121

Reaction score
Finally time to call it a night :p See ya'll tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.