11/04 - Mutfruit Monday!

What do you prefer more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahAshlee90

Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
IMHO the quarterly thing is because while the government doesn't mind keeping your money for a whole year and people act goofy when they get a big tax refund each spring, but the government wants their money each quarter or you face a potential penalty for owing too much tax if you didn't send money to them throughout the year.

I pay estimated taxes each quarter and I do that by looking at what I earned that quarter and running a simulated 1040 to see how much tax I would pay on that amount and then sending my simulated tax owed as the estimated payment amount to the IRS on IRS form 1040-ES. State Government also gets its own estimated tax payment as well each quarter.
FYI the "penalty" for not sending them in quarterly is really low. I forget how they calculate it but for most Turkers it works out to only a few dollars.

skeletonjelly93

Reaction score
FYI the "penalty" for not sending them in quarterly is really low. I forget how they calculate it but for most Turkers it works out to only a few dollars.
So would I be better off doing a yearly thing? Im still really confused on them. It kind of discourages me but I really enjoy this so far so I don't want to give up yet

Trucker

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: People’s feelings about social events | PANDA
Requester: Questionnaires [A255ME4DRWZTYY] [TurkerView]
Description: Answer a survey about your feelings regarding social events
Duration: ~15min
Reward: $0.70
Qualifications:
  • Masters Exist
  • Location EqualTo US
HIT Time: 6 min, 25 sec
Catchability: Okay
Cons: Very extensive and repetitive multiple choice. No Progress Bar. Lots of effort to trudge through all the blocks of questions.

Reactions: scrmcasey

Minx2121

Reaction score
Title: Scenario Survey ($0.25 for 2–3 minutes) (~ 3 minutes) | Accept
Requester: The F Laboratory [A7GI4MUAC5KI] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$13.19] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.71] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=8] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.25
Duration: 30:00
Available: 1
Description: You must submit a code to MTurk to receive compensation for this study. DO NOT take this survey multiple times, submit the same code multiple times, or submit a code that does not match the one that was assigned.
Qualifications: Exc: [180465-179917] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US

Reactions: scrmcasey

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
So would I be better off doing a yearly thing? Im still really confused on them. It kind of discourages me but I really enjoy this so far so I don't want to give up yet
I keep a savings account with an estimate of how much I'll owe, and then at the end of the year I pay it. If you file jointly, it's possible that what your other-person pays in taxes ends up covering you (worked for us last year for ALMOST everything we owed, I think I ended up paying an extra 600?)
So if you can save without taking money out of it (like I do all the time :grimace: ) it works well lol

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
You're probably lucky I fell asleep on the couch instead of giving you the panda for this last night Peachy @Peachy.
If it's the same requester then it's an absolute scam.
I was dead tired last night but probably still would’ve pushed through and done it. glad nothing happened if it is a scam requester

skeletonjelly93

Reaction score
I keep a savings account with an estimate of how much I'll owe, and then at the end of the year I pay it. If you file jointly, it's possible that what your other-person pays in taxes ends up covering you (worked for us last year for ALMOST everything we owed, I think I ended up paying an extra 600?)
So if you can save without taking money out of it (like I do all the time :grimace: ) it works well lol
Im assuming the 600 is for a higher income lol. What if you don't make that much? what percentage do you end up paying? Also can we file jointly without being married?

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
If you want to face the penalty for not paying enough estimated tax even though it's been said it's relatively minor, you could pay yearly.

You also could face other penalties and interest if you are unable to pay your full tax amount due when you file your taxes and that could be more significant amount of money than an underpayment penalty. Probably easier to just figure out how much tax you owe each quarter and send it in while you have that money to send in.

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Im assuming the 600 is for a higher income lol. What if you don't make that much? what percentage do you end up paying? Also can we file jointly without being married?
I didn't make all that much last year, but this year will prob be higher. I do not think you can file jointly without being married and/or a legal partnership but I might be wrong.

Mostly my strategy is to give my tax guy all my info and then let him see what he can write off for us tbh.

skeletonjelly93

Reaction score
I didn't make all that much last year, but this year will prob be higher. I do not think you can file jointly without being married and/or a legal partnership but I might be wrong.

Mostly my strategy is to give my tax guy all my info and then let him see what he can write off for us tbh.
How much do they usually charge you at the tax office? For the filing and stuff. I can't really afford it but I can't really afford an IRS debt either. It's so frustrating. You would think they would have came up with a way to make this simpler.

Reaction score
Do you have employment outside of Mturk? Are you usually due a tax refund when you file your taxes? If so, your usual refund will help cover the taxes due on your Mturk income. The percentage you pay is going to depend on your personal situation. And I believe you need to be married in order to file jointly.

skeletonjelly93

Reaction score
Do you have employment outside of Mturk? Are you usually due a tax refund when you file your taxes? If so, your usual refund will help cover the taxes due on your Mturk income. The percentage you pay is going to depend on your personal situation. And I believe you need to be married in order to file jointly.
I dont now but I worked a few months earlier this year. I don’t think I made enough there to have to legally file but I may for assistance with this until I figure it out better

HelloHello

Reaction score
Fifteen minutes from acceptance to do. Took me 11 minutes. Easy peasy.
Title: Learning in the Workplace | Accept
Requester: Elizabeth Klock [A3JAHXQO0I14Y7] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 2.00
Duration: 15:00
Available: 1
Description: We will ask you a few questions regarding how you learn in the workplace
Qualifications: Employment Status: Employed full time (35+ hours per week) EqualTo 1

Reactions: DatJersey

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Survey about political media and interpersonal interaction (10 min)(~ 10 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Julia Minson [A35QRRKSLEDRZA] [TurkerView]
Description: In this study, you will be asked to choose political media and asked questions about interactions with others.
Duration: ~45min
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications:
  • Exc: [5770775-179863] DoesNotExist
  • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100,
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 80,
  • Location In US,
HIT Time: 2 min, 1 sec
Catchability: Okay
Pros: potential bonus, not disclosed at the end

Reactions: DatJersey

DareAngel3