10/28 - Simple Evolution Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkinlight

Contributor
Reaction score
Wooow if you accept a hit and it "breaks" that counts toward your 100 limit as a n00b. :(

It does. If it's a hit that was posted more than a few minutes ago, it might be a good idea to hit EDIT * preview ** accept. If it's something you saw being posted on Hit Forker or Hit Finder, there is a much better chance that it is a good hit. For your first 10 days, you can take one of two approaches. Higher paying survey's that you qualify for, or really safe numbers hits to get you closer to your first hit benchmarks.

If you decided to go with the latter, Amazon just posted about 20k transcription hits. The pay rate is terrible, but the qualifications are minimal and the task itself is simple, straight forward, and safe.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mturk calendar is based on Pacific time, so the clock resets at 3am EST. So if you were working on a batch, you could technically string 200 hits together in a couple hours.

I would probably just find 100 hits to do tonight, and try to find some higher paying hits tomorrow. Survey hunting is usually more fruitful during the week.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you stay up late enough Sunday night, there are usually a few good paying surveys that get posted by Australian researchers (it's monday morning there)

Last edited:

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
If you decided to go with the latter, Amazon just posted about 20k transcription hits. The pay rate is terrible, but the qualifications are minimal and the task itself is simple, straight forward, and safe.
Yes I did some of those, easy hits, they're going fast but (does math) there should be some left at midnight.

I did some James Billings surveys (horror, but more than three cents!) and already got paid for them, but a few of them "broke" in various ways.

Eventually I will have a feel for (and permissions for) more efficient stuff.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mturk calendar is based on Pacific time, so the clock resets at 3am EST. So if you were working on a batch, you could technically string 200 hits together in a couple hours.

I would probably just find 100 hits to do tonight, and try to find some higher paying hits tomorrow. Survey hunting is usually more fruitful during the week.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you stay up late enough Sunday night, there are usually a few good paying surveys that get posted by Australian researchers (it's monday morning there)
Thanks again for all the tips. I'm on PST, I will check back in at midnight (was going to anyway), but I'll look for requests from down under!

edit: I tend to preview into a new tab before hitting accept, but in addition to odd glitches I've closed a tab a couple of times by accident - seems to be no way to recover from that!

Last edited:
Reactions: turkinlight

turkinlight

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I did some of those, easy hits, they're going fast but (does math) there should be some left at midnight.

I did some James Billings surveys (horror, but more than three cents!) and already got paid for them, but a few of them "broke" in various ways.

Eventually I will have a feel for (and permissions for) more efficient stuff.

Thanks again for all the tips. I'm on PST, I will check back in at midnight (was going to anyway), but I'll look for requests from down under!

edit: I tend to preview into a new tab before hitting accept, but in addition to odd glitches I've closed a tab a couple of times by accident - seems to be no way to recover from that!
There won't be any way to tell from the hit title. I just noticed it when I read the briefing after you've accepted the survey. Just look for the green hits on your hit finder.

I took a break from turking, and when I came back...it's kind of like starting over again. You have to find the requesters who are posting, get current quals again, etc. etc.

I realized that one of the best uses of my time after I got started was to build a good block list. The less noise you have to filter when searching for hits, the easier it is to digest.

Keep your block list updated in a text file just in case. I try and update it every few days.

Even if you have someone blocked in your hit finder, you can still accept their hits (if they magically changed their policies or pay rate)

The more you filter out the garbage, the quicker you will start to see patterns that will benefit you.

You'll start to develop a sense of when your favorite requesters are going to drop a batch.

Everything about being a good turker is staying slightly ahead of the curve. By the time hits are being discussed in the forums, it's already too late (in most cases) to really profit from that little knowledge you had.

There was a batch that got posted last week (that approved today) that was a mistake by the requester. They posted the hits at .30 each. Then they got reposted for .03 each in huge numbers.

That batch wasn't discussed until it was a "normal" hit. I made $30 from that batch in less than an hour (not even continuously working on the hits, just doing them when Panda Crazy was able to grab them.

I guess a few takeaways from this is...

Try out what works best for you, don't just do what everyone else is doing.
When there aren't good hits to do...research, study your hit logs, and read.

Reactions: Merovign

keladry2009

Reaction score
Title: A Business Impressions Study **Earn up to $2.00** | Accept
Requester: Survey Research [A1H9CS3WE060RE] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=2.50] [Fast=4.56] [Comm=2.50] [Fair=4.70] [Reviews=66] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=2.63] [Pen=0.50 days] [Res=null] [Rec=0%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=1]
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 1800
Available: 1
Description: In this study, we are interested in your personal values and your impressions of others.
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.0
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: FireMonkey

keladry2009

Reaction score
anybody alive out there tonight? i'm starting to see the appeal of a PandA and was wondering what everyone was using. i think i remember someone mentioning crazy panda? but i wasnt 100% sure.

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Now that the dirty sweaty old crusty socks won baseball, we can get back to watching the only sport that really matters, jai alai.

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Seriously, Peachy @PeachyRider, your Rockets need to get their act together. Tell them not to trade Eric Gordon.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't successfully tested Crazy Panda yet. It's on my list for tomorrow (unless I look at it later tonight and it's super easy).

One of the problems with a lot of the tutorials I've read in the last week is that they tend to skip steps, or start at step 3 without mentioning 1 or 2.

keladry2009

Reaction score
I haven't successfully tested Crazy Panda yet. It's on my list for tomorrow (unless I look at it later tonight and it's super easy).

One of the problems with a lot of the tutorials I've read in the last week is that they tend to skip steps, or start at step 3 without mentioning 1 or 2.
im going to download crazy panda now (if i can find a link) ill let you know how it goes!

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Elder Scrolls Online earlier, so since I'd forgotten why I stopped playing, I ran the update.

It's been running for 3 hours and bogging down my computer.

That's probably why I stopped playing.

FireMonkey

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: jklmnop

FireMonkey

Reaction score

im going to download crazy panda now (if i can find a link) ill let you know how it goes!
It's not SUPER easy but it's not bad. I agree about the step skipping problem. Feel free to ask me if I'm on and you have questions! (not that I'm an expert, but I know a thing.)

People also like MTurk Suite Hit Catcher, which basically does the same thing and works with Mturk Suite Hit Finder. I still like Panda Crazy best because it has some features that make it more convenient for me to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.