Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Not trying to rub salt on wounds... etc... but

This 'online survey / batch / Turk / whatever e-conomy thing it is' lifestyle seems to be lowering the earnings potential expectations of "real work" (don't flame me, you know what I mean) applicants as they come into a new job.

Maybe the person is lying to us, but we just had a new person join our staff at work, and my boss asked if I knew what "turking" meant (I think the person listed it somehow on a resume), so I told him my own experience (hey, it bought me a laptop and a gaming PC.

Well... person gets hired, nice person, eager to work, I really like the person a lot, but uh... I don't think this individual has any concept of what his/her marketplace value is, because (unless the person is just outright lying (which I can't disprove)), if they are making what they are claiming when we talk at lunch, then... phew... someone settled for the absolute low end of the pay scale range with little or no push back during the salary negotiation stage. I mean, heck I had no experience when I first started (well, fast food + state college) and twice I asked for a higher pay than what was offered (I managed to eek out an additional 2K from the first offer, so "meh').

TLDR: I think 'online working' is creating a new type of employee that is seriously miscalculating their own self worth in the 'real job' marketplace. It's almost like it's creating a new generation that seems to be okay with poverty level wages in the real world. It's that last part scares me (I kind of see it when just messing around for spare cash).

I mean, I only have one sample to go on, but god grief this person settled too low, and even worse... seems happy about it.

sorry.. rant? crap post? If wrong to post I'll remove. Thx.
That's one conclusion, but maybe they accurately calculated it because if they were doing well in mturk they wouldn't have stopped doing it for a low paying wage job.

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
Not trying to rub salt on wounds... etc... but

This 'online survey / batch / Turk / whatever e-conomy thing it is' lifestyle seems to be lowering the earnings potential expectations of "real work" (don't flame me, you know what I mean) applicants as they come into a new job.

Maybe the person is lying to us, but we just had a new person join our staff at work, and my boss asked if I knew what "turking" meant (I think the person listed it somehow on a resume), so I told him my own experience (hey, it bought me a laptop and a gaming PC.

Well... person gets hired, nice person, eager to work, I really like the person a lot, but uh... I don't think this individual has any concept of what his/her marketplace value is, because (unless the person is just outright lying (which I can't disprove)), if they are making what they are claiming when we talk at lunch, then... phew... someone settled for the absolute low end of the pay scale range with little or no push back during the salary negotiation stage. I mean, heck I had no experience when I first started (well, fast food + state college) and twice I asked for a higher pay than what was offered (I managed to eek out an additional 2K from the first offer, so "meh').

TLDR: I think 'online working' is creating a new type of employee that is seriously miscalculating their own self worth in the 'real job' marketplace. It's almost like it's creating a new generation that seems to be okay with poverty level wages in the real world. It's that last part scares me (I kind of see it when just messing around for spare cash).

I mean, I only have one sample to go on, but god grief this person settled too low, and even worse... seems happy about it.

sorry.. rant? crap post? If wrong to post I'll remove. Thx.
Agree with you there. When I had a minimum wage job, I was happy as hell because I had a lot of things I wanted to spend money on. Unfortunately the cost of everything shot up around that time and I struggled to live for a few years. I suppose there's people who consider themselves blessed to have a job on the low paying scale, but after the stuff that happened in my situation I might as well be haggling on salary like I do on a new car at the dealership.

Reactions: BrewMeister

MustacheDuctTape

Lurker Turker
Reaction score
Mornin all. I see Zolts aren't back [presumably]. :coffeepc:

MrTrentSD

Alive and Kicking
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Labeling BLM Images | PANDA
Requester: ANDREU [A22TL076MYEEQM] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 0.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 2.00 Generosity
★★★★★ 0.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 0.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 3 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: Answer the following questions about this image
Time: 10 minutes
HITs Available: 9724
Reward: $0.03
Qualifications: Location is US;Adult Content Qualification is 1

Castor

Reaction score
pics or it didn't happen
Her name's MoJo. She's 7 weeks old. She was the noisiest puppy there so I knew sleep was not going to be a thing the first few nights lol

She's currently biting the shit out of my ankles. Razor sharp puppy teeth :beaver: :inpain: Ouch

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Labeling BLM Images | PANDA
Requester: ANDREU [A22TL076MYEEQM] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 0.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 2.00 Generosity
★★★★★ 0.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 0.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 3 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: Answer the following questions about this image
Time: 10 minutes
HITs Available: 9724
Reward: $0.03
Qualifications: Location is US;Adult Content Qualification is 1
no

Liz

Babysitter
Contributor
Reaction score
Her name's MoJo. She's 7 weeks old. She was the noisiest puppy there so I knew sleep was not going to be a thing the first few nights lol

She's currently biting the shit out of my ankles. Razor sharp puppy teeth :beaver: :inpain: Ouch
Oh my goodness!

Reactions: Castor and Kerek

MindNumbing

Contributor
Reaction score

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

YAAAASSSSSSS its the pupper

Reactions: Castor

Turkster

Reaction score
Agree with you there. When I had a minimum wage job, I was happy as hell because I had a lot of things I wanted to spend money on. Unfortunately the cost of everything shot up around that time and I struggled to live for a few years. I suppose there's people who consider themselves blessed to have a job on the low paying scale, but after the stuff that happened in my situation I might as well be haggling on salary like I do on a new car at the dealership.
I have had lots of jobs.I always tried negotiating a higher salary and every time I was told by HR to accept the offer or walk. They usually talked some bonus BS that never happened or mentioned I might get a pathetic raise in a year. My last job tried to make me a supervisor with no raise but longer hours and no perks at all.That is part of the reason I gave up working for cheap ass companies raised my middle finger and walked away from the traditional workforce...... Never been happier.

Turkster

Reaction score
Title: Complete a survey on Facebook use | PANDA
Requester: Jenna Clark [A357Z43BJIFFW8] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Communicativity
☭☭☭☭☭ 3.36 Generosity
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Fairness
☭☭☭☭☭ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 12
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: Follow one of three simple experimental instructions and then complete a survey on Facebook use.
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $0.50
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 95; Location is US

Reactions: Not A Robot

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
I have had lots of jobs.I always tried negotiating a higher salary and every time I was told by HR to accept the offer or walk. They usually talked some bonus BS that never happened or mentioned I might get a pathetic raise in a year. My last job tried to make me a supervisor with no raise but longer hours and no perks at all.That is part of the reason I gave up working for cheap ass companies raised my middle finger and walked away from the traditional workforce...... Never been happier.
The deal breaker for them is when I would mention things about their company that the average person doesn't know. Researching on the company's background is probably the best thing one can do to talk their way into a decent salary.. or get the job in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.