07/17 - Sherlock Holmes Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotlamp

Thats Not Me
Reaction score
This is the only correct way to use PowerPoint IMO.
Yep. Spark words of main ideas, images to explain those ideas for visual folks. Thats pretty much it. People should take notes over what you say and the spark words give them a main idea to go back to if they need to go back on their own.

Reactions: squee and Drwho10

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the only correct way to use PowerPoint IMO.
i've seen some wordy ass slides before both in school and in my career and it just sucks the life out of the room. Or the complete opposite where there's soo much going on in one slide you lose track of the speaker and anything they're trying to convey. Could be some awesome stuff in there but no one's gonna understand it

Reactions: squee and Hotlamp

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Spark words of main ideas, images to explain those ideas for visual folks. Thats pretty much it. People should take notes over what you say and the spark words give them a main idea to go back to if they need to go back on their own.

Reactions: Hotlamp

Hotlamp

Thats Not Me
Reaction score
i've seen some wordy ass slides before both in school and in my career and it just sucks the life out of the room. Or the complete opposite where there's soo much going on in one slide you lose track of the speaker and anything they're trying to convey. Could be some awesome stuff in there but no one's gonna understand it
I'm a teacher and they want us to get away from powerpoints but I think if I do a direct lecture its still good for some days because you can do so much if you get creative with it and not just post words on a slide.

If I have students do a presentation its always so wordy and I have to help them get past that barrier during the year. I tell them look at my slides and look at how I teach, you guys should be doing the same and know the information well enough to use visuals and not read off the slides.

I don't think everyone teaches the importance of that though.

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Look at a photo and tell if it is a boy or girl - 1.5 minutes | PANDA
Requester: Kevin [A10F0OVV7A0U74] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 5.00 Communicativity
★★★★ 4.44 Generosity
★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 10 | TOS Flags: 1
Submit a new TO review
Description: Look at a photo and tell if it is a boy or girl
Time: 60 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.08
Qualifications: Total approved HITs is greater than 100;HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 95

Title: Respond to a Scenario | PANDA
Requester: blackpoint [A14IGPQF1F98P7] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 0.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 2.50 Generosity
★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
★★★★ 4.67 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 6 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: You will read a scenario and answer some questions. It would take you about 3 to 5 minutes to complete.
HITs Available: 10
Reward: $0.30
Qualifications: Gym has not been granted;HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 96;Location is US

Title: ASN-000366 - HSN | PANDA
Requester: GTR_Co [A34Q9BWURAVPI4] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 3.67 Communicativity
★★★★ 4.00 Generosity
★★★★ 4.06 Fairness
★★★★ 4.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 25 | TOS Flags: 1
Submit a new TO review
Description: Conduct outbound call to toll free number to evaluate answers by Member Services staff
Reward: $1.50
Qualifications: Location is US

Last edited:

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a teacher and they want us to get away from powerpoints but I think if I do a direct lecture its still good for some days because you can do so much if you get creative with it and not just post words on a slide.

If I have students do a presentation its always so wordy and I have to help them get past that barrier during the year. I tell them look at my slides and look at how I teach, you guys should be doing the same and know the information well enough to use visuals and not read off the slides.

I think at the start and surprisingly even in college people make the slides along with their speech or even before it which results in a lot of wordiness and excess information. Speech and content first with clear goals on what you want to convey to the audience then sitting down to make the slides results in a much more complementary powerpoint. That and multiple revisions which people seem to skip out on for a more polished presentation.

I think getting teachers used to not relying so much on powerpoint is a good thing 'cause there's a lot of em that make the same mistakes the students do and put wayyyy too much in there and results in a boring lecture.

Joomster

Contributor
Reaction score
So I went and got a "real" job this past week through a temp service. $12/hr for a 6 month job with possibilities of being hired. You guys have been tremendously helpful to me. :) Thank you all! I'm sure I'll still be around on my days off!

https://www.fleetguard.com.au/home
The company I'll be working for. :)

Last edited:

squee

I turk therefore I am
Contributor
Reaction score
new requester

Title: Current Events Survey(~ 8 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Matthew R Digiuseppe [A1LNOYJ86GEYMZ] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 0.00 Communicativity
★★★★★ 3.00 Generosity
★★★★★ 0.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 0.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 2 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: 8 minute survey
Time: 30 minutes
Reward: $0.75
Qualifications: Exc: [540651-16596] has not been granted;HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 50;Location is one of: US

Bokamo

Reaction score
I had a professor who had 70-90 slides that were FULL of text. And all he did was read the text straight off the slides. I hated going to lecture every week. It was a science class, so lab was fun, but lecture was...difficult.

Squatty

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: TQueen

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
So I went and got a "real" job this past week through a temp service. $12/hr for a 6 month job with possibilities of being hired. You guys have been tremendously helpful to me. :) Thank you all! I'm sure I'll still be around on my days off!

Even if it starts out low keep at it and when you settle into a career you'll have way more job security and financial stability for later life then you'll ever have full time turking. Sure there might be exceptions but this applies to 99% of folks lol. Come back for the fun coupons. Turk is great for that little bit of extra spending money :wink:

Reactions: MsAlys and squee

Joomster

Contributor
Reaction score

Even if it starts out low keep at it and when you settle into a career you'll have way more job security and financial stability for later life then you'll ever have full time turking. Sure there might be exceptions but this applies to 99% of folks lol. Come back for the fun coupons. Turk is great for that little bit of extra spending money :wink:
I agree! I didn't intend for it to become full time. I was laid off from my last job nearly a year ago and a combination of social anxiety and depression has stopped me from pursuing another job. The Dr's finally have my meds leveled out to where most days are pretty good. :) Thank you!

Hotlamp

Thats Not Me
Reaction score
I think at the start and surprisingly even in college people make the slides along with their speech or even before it which results in a lot of wordiness and excess information. Speech and content first with clear goals on what you want to convey to the audience then sitting down to make the slides results in a much more complementary powerpoint. That and multiple revisions which people seem to skip out on for a more polished presentation.

I think getting teachers used to not relying so much on powerpoint is a good thing 'cause there's a lot of em that make the same mistakes the students do and put wayyyy too much in there and results in a boring lecture.
Yep totally. I've always been taught/learned that less is more in a way... you should be teaching the material not just having them write stuff down without saying anything... and a big goal of mine is to prepare students for college lectures or information processing in the future. None of my lectures in college had powerpoints. It was all lecture. I feel bad for the visual learners because they won't be able to grasp on some of the concepts possibly. I'm an auditory learner myself so I don't have issues with that. But my slides are just main points. A definition if desperately needed for a concept and then images displaying those main ideas, or maps etc. Its history so I also have videos and some things I make are through photoshop or video editing that I present in a fun way.

Overall relying in powerpoint as an everyday thing is bad, but you can use it just as a program to host an image. I did a whole thing on images depicting a world event from artists. The lesson was discussion and was mainly worked on as a class, in groups, and individually to compare the views presented and to analyze documents which results in critical thinking.

Anyway I got too wordy and just started rambing.

tl;dr Like in anything there are bad presenters and teachers that make the rest of us look bad when we use a program lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drwho10

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a professor who had 70-90 slides that were FULL of text. And all he did was read the text straight off the slides. I hated going to lecture every week. It was a science class, so lab was fun, but lecture was...difficult.
oh yeah i remember having a few of those for my general ed classes. the upper divisions got way better. I think its just the professors having to deal with 200+ students and just wanting to get back to their research that promotes this kinda thing. I just took advantage of office hours more than the actual lecture. Having a small group of like 5 students to 1 professor during those hours is insanely valuable and way more rewarding. Often times it would just be me there so it would be really cool. Like having a personal tutor be a guy with a PHD and years of experience in the field (even if they sucked at giving presentations lol)

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree! I didn't intend for it to become full time. I was laid off from my last job nearly a year ago and a combination of social anxiety and depression has stopped me from pursuing another job. The Dr's finally have my meds leveled out to where most days are pretty good. :) Thank you!
That's awesome i'm glad you're getting back into it. I know a lot of people turk 'cause health situations mental or physical get in the way and that's great but if there's a way i always encourage a more stable form of income :)

Reactions: exdotish

PhantomCatt

Sweet & Sassy
Reaction score

I'm not sure what grade you teach, but I use Prezi instead of Powerpoint. You get a free account as a teacher, and it is basically a Powerpoint on steroids. I love Prezi, because I can put stuff up on the board and make it really interactive for the kiddos (I teach 2nd grade).

Hotlamp

Thats Not Me
Reaction score
I'm not sure what grade you teach, but I use Prezi instead of Powerpoint. You get a free account as a teacher, and it is basically a Powerpoint on steroids. I love Prezi, because I can put stuff up on the board and make it really interactive for the kiddos (I teach 2nd grade).
I've messed with prezi and I can do the same things in powerpoint or if I video edit something specifically when I do a direct lecture. Not the biggest fan of it, but I give it as an option to students whenever they make something. It's not a bad tool. I'm high school AP/College Classes through the local college.

squee

I turk therefore I am
Contributor
Reaction score
Careful with Prezi as it's not clear who owns the content once created. Doesn't matter for your average school presentation, but if you're publishing important academic research or scientific discoveries I'd be weary to make one there.

jan

Reaction score
I have tried to learn prezi! OMG I hate it. Admittedly, it was around midnight and I was trying to work on dd's Prezi :whistle: -

In the end, I managed something that was readable and looked okay, but with all those steroids, it was clear I was chasing the prezi, rather than mastering it :wink:

Reactions: PhantomCatt

Drwho10

Mister Gank Yo Hits
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep totally. I've always been taught/learned that less is more in a way... you should be teaching the material not just having them write stuff down without saying anything... and a big goal of mine is to prepare students for college lectures or information processing in the future. None of my lectures in college had powerpoints. It was all lecture. I feel bad for the visual learners because they won't be able to grasp on some of the concepts possibly. I'm an auditory learner myself so I don't have issues with that. But my slides are just main points. A definition if desperately needed for a concept and then images displaying those main ideas, or maps etc. Its history so I also have videos and some things I make are through photoshop or video editing that I present in a fun way.

Overall relying in powerpoint as an everyday thing is bad, but you can use it just as a program to host an image. I did a whole thing on images depicting a world event from artists. The lesson was discussion and was mainly worked on as a class, in groups, and individually to compare the views presented and to analyze documents which results in critical thinking.

Anyway I got too wordy and just started rambing.

tl;dr Like in anything there are bad presenters and teachers that make the rest of us look bad when we use a program lol.
I would say most modern professors use some type of visual aid like powerpoint, overhead projectors (those old guys still like em), pc screen casting which is cool, and the 'ol whiteboard lol. I'm glad you're preparing them the right way which is both to be visual learners and still be able to handle lectures that aren't so visual. Best way to prepare for the future is to give them the tools to handle the variety of teaching styles. 90% of em won't remember the little details of the class anyway but the tools for learning are forever

Status
Not open for further replies.