06/10 - Famous Fish Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistahjslover

Mindless Turk Drone Since 2010.
Reaction score
Anyone doing the A9 bounding box hits? I'm so confused. Is the hits broken? Some photos clearly doesn't have the requested item

ristiekay

SupernOtteral Princess
Reaction score
"As some of you may know, on July 22nd Amazon effectively quadrupled its fees for high-volume requesters. Before that day, Amazon charged 10% of whatever we paid to workers, but now it takes a full 40% of what is paid to workers. While the reasons for this price increase are unclear, its effects are crystal clear: because we are in a time of limited research funding, this will lead to a reduction in either 1) the number of HITs created by academics, 2) the level of pay workers receive, or 3) both of these things. In order to continue running these short studies on MTurk at all, Amazon has forced me to reduce the pay associated with them by a few cents (and I'm still paying significantly more overall than I used to!). If you can, please take a moment to tell Amazon to roll back its fee increase, or at least introduce an academic discount for researchers, since that would only mean more HITs and more money per HIT for the valuable work you do. Thanks!"

I submitted this as feedback. I'm probably going to be banned from mTurk... If that happens, I did it for all of us!

Please consider not making such a drastic increase of payment for requesters. This will have a negative, if not detrimental, impact for both requesters and users.
Most academic studies have very limited funds to begin with and they try to compensate workers fairly for participating in these studies. As a former research assistant for a university that is ranked nationally for their medical endeavors and success in state of the art medical care, I know all too well that it can be very difficult to find research subjects locally that fit the inclusion/exclusion criteria for a study.
By increasing fees for the requesters, that is effectively going to make many studies to not be conducted, as the mTurk workers will not be adequately compensated for their participation. The data that researchers receive from mTurk workers is invaluable.
Please take into account the amount of research that might not take place after imposing such a steep percentage of pay on requesters.
Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

tyr888

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
where does A9 get these images from? i'm going through women's tops right now, and it seems like there's three kinds of people in the photos
  • children, who should not be in the photos
  • women that have no idea their image is going to be used for clothing recognition (?)
  • girls that want to show off their bras, and actually usually look dumb

Reactions: Dutchy

Matilda Jones

Grey Ghost
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, this was nice. I got stuck on this survey last night because the sliders wouldn't move so I emailed them. They told me to submit it with a note and they'd give me a little extra:

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from University of NSW Psychology Lab for work related to 30U1YOGZG9VHQ1UPGJA11A7AAQODSD.
The value of your bonus is: $3.00 USD

The Requester included this note:
Thanks for letting us know about the technical issue! Watch out for the HIT relaunch later today 'Women only: Mood & life experience study' and you are welcome to retake.

Kind regards
The UNSW Psychology Lab team

BlurryFace

Antisocial Optimist
Contributor
Reaction score
16 mins was accurate

Title: Participate in an Android app study(~ 16 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Michael C. Chen [A2TX3YOD0OQ2C3] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Communicativity
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.33 Generosity
☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Fairness
☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 13
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: Android app study $3 if completed--must be on WIFI; workers who have completed past studies with the CLEAR app are automatically disqualified
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $3.01
Qualifications: Exc: [342570446-14225] has not been granted; Location is one of: US

Dutchy

Lion's Dimension
Contributor
Reaction score
where does A9 get these images from? i'm going through women's tops right now, and it seems like there's three kinds of people in the photos
  • children, who should not be in the photos
  • women that have no idea their image is going to be used for clothing recognition (?)
  • girls that want to show off their bras, and actually usually look dumb
tbh the answer seems to be
"gross dudes"
gross dudes: making the world go round since 0
also I have told them about it in the past, the gross dudes thing, and their response has been "well those people fucked up but don't bother telling US that"
and it's like ???????????????????????????????????????

ristiekay

SupernOtteral Princess
Reaction score
I submitted this as feedback. I'm probably going to be banned from mTurk... If that happens, I did it for all of us!

Please consider not making such a drastic increase of payment for requesters. This will have a negative, if not detrimental, impact for both requesters and users.
Most academic studies have very limited funds to begin with and they try to compensate workers fairly for participating in these studies. As a former research assistant for a university that is ranked nationally for their medical endeavors and success in state of the art medical care, I know all too well that it can be very difficult to find research subjects locally that fit the inclusion/exclusion criteria for a study.
By increasing fees for the requesters, that is effectively going to make many studies to not be conducted, as the mTurk workers will not be adequately compensated for their participation. The data that researchers receive from mTurk workers is invaluable.
Please take into account the amount of research that might not take place after imposing such a steep percentage of pay on requesters.
I potentially threw myself under the bus and all I get is *crickets*?

tyr888

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Boy did you ever find the right forum if that's the case.
the worst is when you take a survey about sadness/depression, and afterwards you need to look in the mirror and tell yourself to put down the gun, that it's ok to cry.

Reactions: Pleco

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I potentially threw myself under the bus and all I get is *crickets*?
Well you did edit it in after it was posted so...

I emailed them along similar lines when they first announced the changes saying it would drive away work and they shouldn't raise the rates if they weren't actually committed to improving the platform (which would bring in work, if it was easier for new requesters, etc.) but of course they did it anyway and didn't improve anything. There's no one to listen anyway since they have like no one on the project.

Reactions: ristiekay

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score

I think lots of us emailed similar things last year when this happened and no one got banned. :) I'm sure they'll just read your email and send it to where all of our other emails on this topic went and move along...

Formuoli

Reaction score
Title: Estimate Bra Size of this man. (Yes, I know this is an odd question.) | PANDA
Requester: Sherryl L Herbert [AWR0NLM0HIGJN] (TO)
TO Ratings: No TO (Submit a new TO rating for this requester)
Description: Please estimate what bra size would fit this man. If it is difficult to determine at least somewhat accurately, please add a comment IN ADDITION TO your estimate on what would make it easier to estimate it accurately.
Time: 25 minutes
Reward: $0.02
Qualifications: None

lmao

Last edited:

ristiekay

SupernOtteral Princess
Reaction score
Well you did edit it in after it was posted so...

I emailed them along similar lines when they first announced the changes saying it would drive away work and they shouldn't raise the rates if they weren't actually committed to improving the platform (which would bring in work, if it was easier for new requesters, etc.) but of course they did it anyway and didn't improve anything. There's no one to listen anyway since they have like no one on the project.
I edited it bc my phone hates me and decided to submit before I was anywhere close to finished

Reactions: Kerek

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Estimate Bra Size of this man. (Yes, I know this is an odd question.) | PANDA
Requester: Sherryl L Herbert [AWR0NLM0HIGJN] (TO)
TO Ratings: No TO (Submit a new TO rating for this requester)
Description: Please estimate what bra size would fit this man. If it is difficult to determine at least somewhat accurately, please add a comment IN ADDITION TO your estimate on what would make it easier to estimate it accurately.
Time: 25 minutes
Reward: $0.02
Qualifications: None

lmao
legit question :D

Reactions: Formuoli

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
Can't get on irc on my phone. Wish you guys could see the crazy that is my town right now. American graffiti has nothing on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.