02/08 - Waning Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius

Reaction score
What I saw was it wanted your full name as it appears on your tax records and your address . . .
amazon has that from me ... in several places and times. the eu does not need that information and unless i really want to get on a place or ship and cross their border, they don't need my address. for anything.

Reactions: HelloHello

HelloHello

Reaction score
amazon has that from me ... in several places and times. the eu does not need that information and unless i really want to get on a place or ship and cross their border, they don't need my address. for anything.
Looking on the bright side, since it never loads the form so it can be completed we can't do it.

Reactions: alk69 and cassius

alk69

Reaction score
From what I can see, all this will mean is a marked down turn in work done by Americans. The EU universities are not going to like that. It will cut off a wide and broad field of opinion.
Might also stop posting through US universities, since those schools are not going to like the hassle that would cause. This cuts off diversity of data even more.

Last edited:

cassius

Reaction score
From what I can see, all this will mean is a marked down turn in work done by Americans. The EU universities are not going to like that. It will cut off a wide and broad field of opinion.
Might also stop posting through US universities, since those schools are not going to like the hassle that would cause. This cuts off diversity of data even more.
this stuff is not so important to me or my income that i would be willing to turn my personal and private, supposedly so, information over to amazon to report to the eu. if amazon is serious about this then it ought to have a page up somewhere explaining this thing coming from its latest masters.

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
We covered this in my PhD studies...there's only a couple thousand turkers who do a majority of the studies. Worried how this affects results - it's self-selecting, not random 2000 folks, skews younger, less income, single, male, no kids. It's a real problem for researchers - cheap/easy to do on mturk rather than finding 2000 random people. But finding 2000 random people is hard to do. Did a few consulting projects for Google on finding randomness. There was one case where MS had to take out the true randomness when people didn't believe a dice roll was random when it came up twice or even three times in a row with the same number. Sorry, that's random.

cassius

Reaction score
okay. answer me why ebay has not done this. haven't seen it with etsy. and haven't seen it on the other platforms. how much is the EU paying amazon to collect information on us? we are US citizens. US CitizenS. we are not members of the EU. and i for one, will not share my SS # with the EU. i have no guarantee that amazon is not going to do that. and what happened to all the info I've already given amazon regarding who i am? did they lose it? and they expect me to trust them with this? this just sounds like amazon is asking us to sign this thing so they can share are personal info with the EU. what are they going to ask for next? our tax returns?

HelloHello

Reaction score
okay. answer me why ebay has not done this. haven't seen it with etsy. and haven't seen it on the other platforms. how much is the EU paying amazon to collect information on us? we are US citizens. US CitizenS. we are not members of the EU. and i for one, will not share my SS # with the EU. i have no guarantee that amazon is not going to do that. and what happened to all the info I've already given amazon regarding who i am? did they lose it? and they expect me to trust them with this? this just sounds like amazon is asking us to sign this thing so they can share are personal info with the EU. what are they going to ask for next? our tax returns?
Agree 100%

alk69

Reaction score
If this didn't come out of Amazon, I'd say it was a scam to acquire personal information. What does the EU think? Are they gonna try to tax us for our Turk income? And so is the US? All the EU can get would be from EU earnings alone. And that information would come from those institutions in the EU that we worked for. They have this info.(and how many of them will bother with this nuisance?) And just how much cash do they think they'll get from a few surveys? What does Amazon think they're doing? The whole of this is suspicious and just too secretive.
It seems to me the focus of this hoopla should be the residents of the European Union who work through Amazon, particularly in the vendor market.

cassius

Reaction score
If this didn't come out of Amazon, I'd say it was a scam to acquire personal information. What does the EU think? Are they gonna try to tax us for our Turk income? And so is the US? All the EU can get would be from EU earnings alone. And that information would come from those institutions in the EU that we worked for. They have this info.(and how many of them will bother with this nuisance?) And just how much cash do they think they'll get from a few surveys? What does Amazon think they're doing? The whole of this is suspicious and just too secretive.
It seems to me the focus of this hoopla should be the residents of the European Union who work through Amazon, particularly in the vendor market.
again i ask, why haven't we heard about etsy, ebay and the other platforms requiring this? amazon says it wants our MTurk workers’ taxable income. well we have other sources of taxable income, don't we? that is suspicious to me. maybe it's all those surveys asking total household incomes. i suspect if there is not a place now, amazon will come back and ask for our "total" taxable income and turn that over to the EU. the EU has no business with our SS #s. we are also contract laborers I thought on amazon. we are not amazon employees. this whole thing has more questions than answers.

alk69

Reaction score
From what I'm reading thru Google searches, DAC7 is planning to tax everything, every where that's an online concern. Every type of earnings. Apparently they expect us all(the planet Earth) to comply with offering up all our earnings information...in another country...in unknown hands that we do not control.........Wonder how they plan to handle Walmart?...It's beginning to look like Amazon's got a dog in this race. They do nothing that doesn't benefit Amazon.

cassius

Reaction score
okay - if interested - go to https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
go to their website and follow instructions for writing an email. doesn't take long and might get us some decent answers.

i know this is political but it also concerns what pays our bills.

here's what i sent:
Dear ,
I am a constituent of yours and work on the Amazon Mechanical Turk platform for extra money. Recently the platform sent us this message: "The EU has recently implemented the DAC7 directive that requires us to report MTurk workers’ taxable income. To be in compliance with this directive, please complete a DAC7 tax interview no later than February 28, 2023. If we do not have your tax information by then, you may be ineligible to continue to use the MTurk platform, which could also result in withheld payments."
I do not understand this message. I thought I was a citizen of the United States. I have a social security that I've shared with Amazon to work on the platform which I thought considers me contract labor. But I don't work for nor live in the EU. Why am I suddenly responsible for worrying about the EU taxing me?
Are we as US citizens suddenly having taxes enforced on us from the EU just because we work for Amazon?
I would greatly appreciate help in this matter.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

cassius

Reaction score
From what I'm reading thru Google searches, DAC7 is planning to tax everything, every where that's an online concern. Every type of earnings. Apparently they expect us all(the planet Earth) to comply with offering up all our earnings information...in another country...in unknown hands that we do not control.........Wonder how they plan to handle Walmart?...It's beginning to look like Amazon's got a dog in this race. They do nothing that doesn't benefit Amazon.
SO just retired from dept of transportation in this state. i asked him if that means every time an EU resident drives through the toll booth on the toll way, does the DOT have to pay tax on that toll with the EU. i know it's silly. but it's not any sillier than this.

cassius

Reaction score
my wild, wild guess is the EU is paying them for this information. but that's just a wild guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.