• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
This is my life pretty much.
"In town" here (3 miles for me) for example, milk is $5 a gallon.
If I run to Walmart or Aldi in the town 15 minutes away, milk is $1.05 gallon.
The nearest major city is only 35 minutes away, and I'm 10 minutes off an interstate, so its the best of both worlds IMO.
The only time I need to be in any moving vehicle that long is when I'm going to the airport. When you can walk everywhere you need to go, not only do you save money on cars and car-related things - but if you run errands and get groceries, say, a couple times a week, you don't really need to pay for gyms or schedule specific blocks of exercise time. Honestly, if you don't have kids, it makes so many things so much simpler.
I know there aren't a lot of city-sized places in the Midwest where the car-free life is possible, but there are some. SO looking forward to getting there once I can leave this expensive hellhole.

(If you do have kids, I've had the reasons why you need at least one car explained to me at great length, no worries there)

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
How does that even work? Shouldn't it be the other way around, that the bigger town handles the mail?
65k isn't too bad, but 12k, yikes.
lol I have no idea. I love telling people how to get here, because our mailing address is the little 12k town, but our home is in the 65k town. School, police station, libraries etc are all 65k town, but the mail comes out of the 12k town.

The smaller town would've been the center for trade in my immediate area, so it has the larger post office in the surrounding area. Each little town in the big town has it's own post office, Idk how many there are in total but it's a bunch. We kind of live on the border-ish, so the smaller town handles the mail portion of our lives since it's bigger (their downtown area is nicer in general b/c of trade and also industry, there was a factory there back in the day).

It's an interesting area.

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
lol I have no idea. I love telling people how to get here, because our mailing address is the little 12k town, but our home is in the 65k town. School, police station, libraries etc are all 65k town, but the mail comes out of the 12k town.

The smaller town would've been the center for trade in my immediate area, so it has the larger post office in the surrounding area. Each little town in the big town has it's own post office, Idk how many there are in total but it's a bunch. We kind of live on the border-ish, so the smaller town handles the mail portion of our lives since it's bigger (their downtown area is nicer in general b/c of trade and also industry, there was a factory there back in the day).

It's an interesting area.
Sounds like a place with a good story. :)

Reactions: Despairagus

IndividualRace

Reaction score
I'm just staring at the weekly surveycomet. I want to complete it....but I really don't want to do it now.

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

The difference between my current address (top) and my previous one, about 10 minutes away.
Seems accurate. I feel for you guys with horrible cost of living. :thumbdown:

vandaria

Reaction score
The only time I need to be in any moving vehicle that long is when I'm going to the airport. When you can walk everywhere you need to go, not only do you save money on cars and car-related things - but if you run errands and get groceries, say, a couple times a week, you don't really need to pay for gyms or schedule specific blocks of exercise time. Honestly, if you don't have kids, it makes so many things so much simpler.
I know there aren't a lot of city-sized places in the Midwest where the car-free life is possible, but there are some. SO looking forward to getting there once I can leave this expensive hellhole.

(If you do have kids, I've had the reasons why you need at least one car explained to me at great length, no worries there)

I will say for me and I will assume FrenchToast @FrenchToast is that the 35 miles equates to about that much time. For instance, I know if I go back to where I used to live, it could take 30+ minutes to drive 5 miles due to traffic. I know what you are saying though, I would love to be able to walk to more places around here, I miss being able to get on my bike and ride to the grocery store for a few items. For the small town we have it is not very pedestrian friendly. Well no the actual downtown is, but the grocery store is on the outskirts of town. Downtown is like two blocks of antiques and taverns.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I don't see how people can afford to regularly use postmates or door dash or anything like that. A burger and fry delivered is like $20. I'd rather starve.
This is exactly my problem right now, which is why I need one of you to bring me one for free.

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I don't see how people can afford to regularly use postmates or door dash or anything like that. A burger and fry delivered is like $20. I'd rather starve.
It's worse for a single person or couple but for a family like us it's not bad because it's basically just another $10 on top of a $30 bill anyway.
Also a lot depends on what places you pick. Some upcharge or have stupid high delivery fees.

Do it probably twice a week.

cb456

Let's do some hits!
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
I hear that. additionally its cheaper to make your own fast food. its better for you, and imo it tastes better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.