Status
Not open for further replies.

catnapped

Relatively Unknown Member
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume if I haven't gotten a 1099-K by now I'm probably not getting one?

onioro

Reaction score
Question:

When you take a HIT study from a grad student on Mturk, and the compensation works out to $3/hour in their HIT description.... And you do the work anyway because it's slow and you need the dough, but write the grad student, sharing that their research study pays far less than federal minimum wage....

And they write you saying that they didn't intend for it to be employment, and they are a poor grad student who gets paid far less than this for their work, and after all, it's for RESEARCH...

What are your thoughts, feelings, actions? I'm curious.
I once did a HIT for a grad student (paid horribly) who apologized for his inability to pay enough. It was before the HIT and he very politely stated that the HIT would be bad pay and that he'd be very grateful if someone did it regardless. I didn't mind that, he seemed sorry and I guess I can understand not having a budget and trying to do your research. I took pity LOL and I guess I'm a sucker. For science!

For some reason your grad student's response annoys me a bit. I suppose it's my choice or not to do take his survey for bad pay though. I don't feel obligated to do work for him for less pay just because he doesn't get paid a lot, or for the sake of research. He probably doesn't realize or understand that MTurk is actual income for a lot of people, not just beer money.

Last edited:

Rerun

Forum Licker
Contributor
Reaction score
I once did a HIT for a grad student (paid horribly) who apologized for his inability to pay enough. I didn't mind that, he seemed sorry and I guess I can understand not having a budget and trying to do your research. I took pity LOL and I guess I'm a sucker. For science!

For some reason your grad student's response annoys me a bit. I suppose it's my choice or not to do take his survey for bad pay though. I don't feel obligated to do work for him for less pay just because he doesn't get paid a lot, or for the sake of research. He probably doesn't realize or understand that MTurk is income for a lot of people.
For every sob story from a student with a low budget, I've got a bigger sob story about bills that need to be paid. Academic charity doesn't keep my lights on.

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: images evaluation | PANDA
Requester: Yelena Larkin [ARZBISXTF5TKI] (Contact)
TO: [Pay: 4.26] [Fair: 4.64] [Comm: 1.00] [Fast: 4.64] [Reviews: 19] [ToS: 0]
Description:
15 - minute survey asking you to evaluate a series of items
Time: 1 hour
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $1.50
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US;
HIT posted from Mturk Suite v1.3.7

Reactions: Leon Powalski

jayjay

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume if I haven't gotten a 1099-K by now I'm probably not getting one?
i got mine a couple of days ago. Theres still time

Yatagarasu

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

Starslip

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
i got mine a couple of days ago. Theres still time
I think corporations have to send them by the end of January or they get penalized. If he hasn't gotten it by now, and it goes out by email, he's probably not getting one.

kwyjibo

Reaction score
Title: Film yourself acting a short scene (cans tower) | PANDA
Requester: Meytar [A2GPYL2ISLJ9IF] (Contact)
TO: [Pay: 5.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: 3.00] [Reviews: 2] [ToS: 0]
Description:
Film yourself acting a short scene where you imitate the photo provided
Time: 36 hours
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $4.00
Qualifications: None;

HIT posted from Mturk Suite v1.3.7
I could've sworn this said Eiffel tower at first and my first thought was not about the actual Eiffel tower... I have a dirty mind.

Yatagarasu

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

catnapped

Relatively Unknown Member
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I think corporations have to send them by the end of January or they get penalized. If he hasn't gotten it by now, and it goes out by email, he's probably not getting one.
They actually mail them. I'm figuring if it's not here by a week from the 31st I'm not expecting one.

Reactions: Starslip
Status
Not open for further replies.