01/25 - Function Friday!

What operating system do you use to turk?

• Windows

• MacOS

• Linux

• ChromeOS (Chromebook)

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) and it's my primary device for turking

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) but it's not my primary device for turking

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spchles1

Reaction score
Man, why do workers have to make bad decisions? :banghead:Just got through an hour of helping this requester. He got over 30 HITs scammed, in less than an hour, with random, wrongly labeled bounding boxes and nonsensical relationship data. I've been talking with him for a bit so, if you do get a rejection on this HIT, and you think/know that you did it correctly, let me know and I can probably be an MTC ambassador to Requestopia and I can see if I can broker an accord.:p If you know you scammed it, not that I suspect anyone, please don't ask me to fight to reverse it for you. It will probably end up worse, not better. Otherwise, let me know if I can help.

Gonna be an interesting day! Good morning MTC!:eyeroll:
That's sad, because it's a good requester and great pay. I know I did it correct, yesterday even got a message from them saying I did awesome work. I just checked and it already approved. That's sad and unfortunate that people have to do that.

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Man, why do workers have to make bad decisions? He got over 30 HITs scammed, in less than an hour, with random, wrongly labeled bounding boxes and nonsensical relationship data.
Hey that's nothing.
Remember back in the MTG days when Visual Genome got scammed out of a couple hundred thousand dollars?
That was a Stanford account too.

I can't believe they are still using this platform.

One of if not the best paying school to ever be on this platform and they've been absolutely destroyed at every opportunity.

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
Man, why do workers have to make bad decisions. Just got through an hour of helping this requester. He got over 30 HITs scammed, in less than an hour, with random, wrongly labeled bounding boxes and nonsensical relationship data. I've been talking with him for a bit so, if you do get a rejection on this HIT, and you think/know that you did it correctly, let me know and I can probably be an MTC ambassador to Requestopia and I can see if I can broker an accord.:p If you know you scammed it, not that I suspect anyone, please don't ask me to fight to reverse it for you. It will probably end up worse, not better. Otherwise, let me know if I can help.

Gonna be an interesting day! Good morning MTC!:p
I caught it this morning but had to throw it back because there was no way I had enough time to do it. I was getting my kids ready and didn't notice it in my queue for quite a while.

I can't believe so many people would scam that! It always boggles my mind, like do they not think about the requester and the purpose of the data? Ugh some people. Awesome for you to offer to help out though. I'm always so glad when requesters respond to messages and really want to work with us, despite the crappy workers they encounter.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
That's sad, because it's a good requester and great pay. I know I did it correct, yesterday even got a message from them saying I did awesome work. I just checked and it already approved. That's sad and unfortunate that people have to do that.
It is sad, and annoying and frustrating. But, rest assured, they're being dealt with as we speak. Luckily he got a hold of me and not some other requester though. Had to talk him off the ledge. We could have had another "scare". He thought it was all one guy with 30 accounts. It isn't. That said, Metallica @Metallica, your pet thread my get busier soon.:p

Hey that's nothing.
Remember back in the MTG days when Visual Genome got scammed out of a couple hundred thousand dollars?

One of if not the best paying school to ever be on this platform and they've been absolutely destroyed at every opportunity.
Grant money is easier to spend than "real" money. :D

Theta Carinae

minor superhero nerd
Contributor
Reaction score
:poke:

this morning ugh
hnngh. can cosign.
was almost asleep, then my sunrise clock came on
leading me to realize I apparently sleep through a freaking spotlight most mornings

so if I have to be awake now, mTruk, you'll get the money out or

also I would seriously pay all the money I made yesterday for someone to bring me the Vietnamese coffee ChristopherASA @ChristopherASA keeps talking about

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey that's nothing.

Oh boy, fun times. Genome's TO page even had people detailing to others how to scam their hits. Then there was that guy who made training videos for his slaves to watch so they could learn how to "do" them on his account. And of course we can't possibly forget that time when they made an MTG account to tell everyone they discovered they had been scammed for the previous 4 years, someone questioned as to why they obviously never cared to check the quality of the working being done before, and they jumped straight to accusing that person of scamming them in response.

Of course it would be nice if they never got scammed, but they gave no fucks toward it. They would have put an end to it YEARS ago instead of just one day telling us "oh, we lost a couple hundred thousand. Oh well."

edit: also, good morning everyone. Yay for Friday and stuff.

Last edited:

spchles1

Reaction score
It is sad, and annoying and frustrating. But, rest assured, they're being dealt with as we speak. Luckily he got a hold of me and not some other requester though. Had to talk him off the ledge. We could have had another "scare". He thought it was all one guy with 30 accounts. It isn't. That said, Metallica @Metallica, your pet thread my get busier soon.:p

Thank you kind sir :angelic:

SmolAliens

Reaction score
Having a whale of a time with these ML Researcher video labeling hits...even if some of the clips are downright weird. If Vine was still a thing I could see several of these making great candidates xD

Reactions: ChristopherASA

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
hnngh. can cosign.
was almost asleep, then my sunrise clock came on
leading me to realize I apparently sleep through a freaking spotlight most mornings

so if I have to be awake now, mTruk, you'll get the money out or

also I would seriously pay all the money I made yesterday for someone to bring me the Vietnamese coffee ChristopherASA @ChristopherASA keeps talking about
So. Just out of curiosity. How much did you bring in yesterday? :)

Reactions: Theta Carinae

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Oh boy, fun times. Genome's TO page even had people detailing to others how to scam their hits. Then there was that guy who made training videos for his slaves to watch so they could learn how to "do" them on his account. And of course we can't possibly forget that time when they made an MTG account to tell everyone they discovered they had been scammed for the previous 4 years, someone questioned as to why they obviously never cared to check the quality of the working being done before, and they jumped straight to accusing that person of scamming them in response.

Of course it would be nice if they never got scammed, but they gave no fucks toward it. They would have put an end to it YEARS ago instead of just one day telling us "oh, we lost a couple hundred thousand. Oh well."

did they ever discuss why they hadn't put a stop to it sooner? that's ridiculous

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Hey, I actually got paid for helping someone! That never happens.:celebrate2:
Call CNN!

You've received a bonus from Stanford University for work related to 3ZQX1VYFTEXAK5UGDV1SSTOPFOQ8OC.
The value of your bonus is: $10.00 USD

The Requester included this note:
You've earned it. Thank you! :)

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!

BOOM!
That calls for a break and a happy dance!

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Call CNN!

You've received a bonus from Stanford University for work related to 3ZQX1VYFTEXAK5UGDV1SSTOPFOQ8OC.

BOOM!
aw good job! :highfive:

4ourfuture

Contributor
Reaction score
Call CNN!

BOOM!
Awesome job :wink:

Reactions: Jerami

spchles1

Reaction score
Call CNN!

BOOM!
good for you, and thanks again

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

cb456

Let's do some hits!
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Reactions: 4ourfuture
Status
Not open for further replies.