Help Us Shape Our Forum!

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A big part of our motivation for creating this forum is to make a place where everyone is comfortable and people can contribute their ideas as to what they want the forum to be like and what they want to have here. This might be special activities, events, guidelines, processes, plans, or basically anything else you can think of to help us grow into a helpful forum with a cool culture.

We have a great thread going for specific feature requests, so please continue putting add-on and forum functional features requests there.

The intention of this post is to broaden up the discussion to include thoughts about what you'd like this forum to be like. We have a great opportunity to shape our forum's culture and feel, so please help us out! Let us know what your thoughts are and how we can make it better for everyone, since the forum is for everybody.

Please note, this thread is for serious suggestions and ideas for us to discuss and consider. If you have some jokes and silly ideas, you're welcome to post that in the Social Discussion section of the forum. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm.

Alright. I know you said "From Scratch"... but I'm not sure if that's even possible given the audience. I think most everyone here came over from MTG, and lot of people were also around when MTG spawned out of MTF. Plus people who came from Reddit or TN... basically what I'm saying is that most of the members here have already had experience at another forum or site, so the prospect of a forum being born without being at least indirectly influenced by other forums doesn't seem terribly feasible.

Which isn't a bad thing. Frankly I think it's a good idea to talk about things we like or don't like from other forums.

For example. I really liked that MTG had an emphasis on professional behavior. Even if we spent a lot of time talking about butt plugs and blow up dolls, there was still an underlying current of "Do good work and don't be a jackass." I'd like it if we could maintain that general air... it's fine to talk about whatever you want to talk about, as long as it's not how easy Brelig is when you're drunk.

On the flip side, I had mixed feelings about the HPOTM/MOTM thing. If we're going to do anything like that, I think it would be better to keep it more objective... the HPOTM would be the person who got the most "Awesome HIT" votes that month, as opposed to having a vote at the end of the month. I'd still like it if we could find ways to acknowledge really awesome people for doing awesome stuff though.

Other than that... I think all the stuff that comes to mind right now is features as opposed to the overall vibe. It's be cool if we could all just be nice to each other and to new members.

catsoneverything

embrace the brutality
Reaction score
I want to see more silly hits. Everybody loves silly hits and free pennies.

Remember the Game of Thrones choose-your-own-adventure ones that a MTG user (I forget who) did a long time ago that ended up not being completed? That was a lot of fun and would have been awesome had it been continued. Something like that would be cool and a good community builder.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
Enable TapaTalk

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Enable TapaTalk
I'm curious, why? Is it just because you like tapatalk or do you want push notifications, or what? It was something that we had discussed when we started the forum, but I think we were all in agreement that tapatalk wasn't something we wanted because it seemed like it was going downhill. If it's push notifications that you want, there are other ways that we could accomplish that.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious, why? Is it just because you like tapatalk or do you want push notifications, or what? It was something that we had discussed when we started the forum, but I think we were all in agreement that tapatalk wasn't something we wanted because it seemed like it was going downhill. If it's push notifications that you want, there are other ways that we could accomplish that.
No, I don't want push notification for forums. Tapatalk collates all the forum activity from the various forums I belong to into a single universal app on my phone. In a single action during a free moment of my day I can see what is currently being discussed on multiple forums, what new threads have been created, as well as a view of any communication directed at me. This is much more useful and less time consuming than being forced to check multiple mobile sites and then check multiple sub forums in those sites to see what is being discussed and what the new threads are.

Reactions: aveline

Phoenix

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not techie type person and I think this site is absolutely amazing as it is. The only thing I would add would be a work mode button or tab for those who don't want to engage in conversation.

Reactions: kryss

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not techie type person and I think this site is absolutely amazing as it is. The only thing I would add would be a work mode button or tab for those who don't want to engage in conversation.
There's actually a hits only option in the thread tools.

Reactions: Achilles2357

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Just a reminder that feature requests or questions about features/forum function should go in forum features and issues thread: http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/forum-issues-feature-requests-thread.17/

The intention of this thread is conversation about how we can improve your experience in terms of forum culture, direction you'd like to see us go, how you want to utilize the forum, or other topics that aren't specific to requesting a function, addon, or tool.

Reactions: TQueen and Jaded

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I'm curious if the admins would be open to a raffle or auction type deal for fundraising? It's an idea we tossed around when Serial Mom @MomOfMaximus was painting that MTC themed piece and I never saw if that idea was shot down or not. And I don't mean to single out Serial Mom @MomOfMaximus , I would be more than willing to offer up my own skills to create a prize.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I'm curious if the admins would be open to a raffle or auction type deal for fundraising? It's an idea we tossed around when Serial Mom @MomOfMaximus was painting that MTC themed piece and I never saw if that idea was shot down or not. And I don't mean to single out Serial Mom @MomOfMaximus , I would be more than willing to offer up my own skills to create a prize.
I wouldn't be opposed to doing something like this for fun, but I don't know about fundraising. I think I just feel weird about asking for money when we're still doing okay with donations. But if we did something like that and any money spent on it would go back to the community in the form of prizes and such, I think it could be a lot of fun.

We're doing okay on funds, but I don't think fostering a stronger sense of community through these sorts of things ever hurts. I like them.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to doing something like this for fun, but I don't know about fundraising. I think I just feel weird about asking for money when we're still doing okay with donations. But if we did something like that and any money spent on it would go back to the community in the form of prizes and such, I think it could be a lot of fun.

We're doing okay on funds, but I don't think fostering a stronger sense of community through these sorts of things ever hurts. I like them.
For the record, I am much more in favor of a raffle because so many of us are short on funds. I think it's reasonable to ask a dollar to play rather than have an auction which would leave out a lot of our members.

If we could even get half as many of the people that vote regularly to participate that would be about $50. It's not a huge fundraiser but a good little boost and, like you said, is good for the community. Plus there's always the potential for a time when the donations might be short a month and/or an unexpected cost arises. Not to mention they would be getting something real, not a banner or icon or cash prize, but a real thing.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

The money from the raffles could be pooled and go back to us for Hit Poster, Crowd Pleaser, etc. That way all the money people donate will stay mostly for servers, mods luxury rentals, and all the things needed to run a site.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
For the record, I am much more in favor of a raffle because so many of us are short on funds. I think it's reasonable to ask a dollar to play rather than have an auction which would leave out a lot of our members.

If we could even get half as many of the people that vote regularly to participate that would be about $50. It's not a huge fundraiser but a good little boost and, like you said, is good for the community. Plus there's always the potential for a time when the donations might be short a month and/or an unexpected cost arises. Not to mention they would be getting something real, not a banner or icon or cash prize, but a real thing.
My thing is I just don't want it to seem like it's a money grab by us. We've been accused in the past of running this forum for profit. Many people seem to think it was the reason that we left MTG. I think we all tend to feel rather insulted when people suggest that. I think I would prefer that any money that gets put into the pot goes toward material costs or whatever for the prizes that are given away.

And just an FYI, this is my own opinion. I'm not speaking for the staff or anything because I haven't really talked with them about it.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
My thing is I just don't want it to seem like it's a money grab by us. We've been accused in the past of running this forum for profit. Many people seem to think it was the reason that we left MTG. I think we all tend to feel rather insulted when people suggest that. I think I would prefer that any money that gets put into the pot goes toward material costs or whatever for the prizes that are given away.

And just an FYI, this is my own opinion. I'm not speaking for the staff or anything because I haven't really talked with them about it.
I have more thoughts and feelings about this, all positive except screw people who think that, but maybe I should wait until you've all talked? Or I could start a group PM with you four to hash out ideas?

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Can I also have a private audience with the four of you but for other reasons? :wink:

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I have more thoughts and feelings about this, all positive except screw people who think that, but maybe I should wait until you've all talked? Or I could start a group PM with you four to hash out ideas?
I'd be okay with a group PM.

Can I also have a private audience with the four of you but for other reasons? :wink:
You already do, don't you? :wink:

Reactions: ducky and MerryLou